Honda/Acura Crankshaft Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acura Tech should be able to help me here. Is the tool necessary to hold the crankshaft when doing a pully removal or will a good impact gun get the job done?
Do you ever have to heat the bolt to get it loose.

Thanks in advance Smoky

What engine are you dealing with?

I did a timing belt to an F22 series engine, and I used a standard impact socket to get the bolt out. To put it back on, I used a torque wrench, and held the pulley still with an oil filter plier.

I did many timing belt changes on b16-b18's and needed the tool every time, in fact many times I needed a cheater bar on the end of the tool. None of the tricks or impacts worked, honda used some type of yellow thread locker on the crank pulley bolt. I just sold the tool a few months back.

BTW.. I wouldn't recommend heating the bolt.

TBP.jpg

Last edited:
A good impact gun will get it off 90% of the time. But that's with a full fledged shop air supply. Most likely with a DIY situation you'll need the crank tool, plus a 1/2 breaker bar with a cheater pipe. Those bolts are generally TIGHT.

DO NOT HEAT THE BOLT. No. Just don't. They don't get seized, just come super tight from the factory. Bring your Hulk Hogan buddy over to help if need be.

Ok AcuraTech I'm not very good with answers telling me just don't do something. Were you just taught to never do this or do you know why this is not recommended?

There is a rubber ring in the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and if you heat the bolt you are likely to melt it.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
There is a rubber ring in the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and if you heat the bolt you are likely to melt it.

Exactly. Too many things that can get damaged by applying heat. Like I said, crank bolts don't get seized, so no need to torch it. Just make sure to eat your spinach that day.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

Just make sure to eat your spinach that day.

That's seriously the best advice out of the whole thread!!

Some Honda owners are brave and use the starter to crack the bolt loose. But you still need something to hold the pulley to torque it down.
Use a floor jack for some extra force if needed.

Originally Posted By: TylerL
Some Honda owners are brave and use the starter to crack the bolt loose.

That didn't work on my 99 SI......

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
AcuraTech,

Just wondering, but do you work on cars on your day off as a side job ?

No. I live in an apartment. No garage, no tools at home. I work on my friends cars while I'm on the clock at work.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Originally Posted By: TylerL
Some Honda owners are brave and use the starter to crack the bolt loose.

not recommended
BTW it's not bravery...

I hope your not implying that it's stupidity, because it can be done with success if some intelligence is used.

I have 2 Honda Civic and yes the shops tend to use impact guns to put on and off.

I have a 98 Civic and the "factory" set crank pulley nut came off with an estimated 170 to 200 foot pounds of torque using a 1/2" Snap On breaker bar. Broke a light sweat - little stress

On my 93 Civic the Honda Garage did timing belt #1 was easily torque to well over 280+++ foot pounds
mad.gif
when I took it off to do belt # 2 I almost gave up I was able to leg press the breaker finally. I didn't hurt myself
cheers3.gif

To keep the crank from turning I pull the ring gear cover and use some custom steel wedges my grand father had rigged up for machinist use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back