Tools for Improving Efficiency?

I watched this video and agree with most of his recommendations. Even if you are not working flat-rate, being able to complete a job faster means you can move onto other things or spend more time with your family, so efficiency is always a factor.

Adding to his list, I also use:
- 1/4" long neck ratchet. It is good to have both sizes in long-reach, so you can have a different size socket on each. The 1/4 also helps make hose clamp r/r go quicker.
- 3/8" Impact swivels - I have them in short/med/long. Sometimes you are unable to use a cordless ratchet to zip a fastener on/off due to access, but with an impact swivel, you are now able to. Time savings.
- 1/4" universal sockets (good ones, such as SO) - same logic as the impact swivels, good for access. Timing Belt Covers
- Fastener organizer trays - not sure if this is a tool, but having trays with dividers or even multiple magnetic trays helps with organization of removed fasteners. On unfamiliar jobs, I like to put painters tape over each group so I don't forget where they go.

What tools help your productivity?

You and I live in different worlds, for me a smoke wrench, mig welder with regular tips and a swan neck, a big bore air hammer are almost a must, also useful are a big vise, good hammers and press, a full assortment of metric bolts.
There are so many things I use I use on a regular basis it would take a full page and many of them would be of little interest for most people like sheet metal brake, English wheel, bag and hammer, spot welder, all sorts or spray guns. The biggest time saver with that stuff are the Cleco fasteners.

You and I live in different worlds, for me a smoke wrench, mig welder with regular tips and a swan neck, a big bore air hammer are almost a must, also useful are a big vise, good hammers and press, a full assortment of metric bolts.
There are so many things I use I use on a regular basis it would take a full page and many of them would be of little interest for most people like sheet metal brake, English wheel, bag and hammer, spot welder, all sorts or spray guns. The biggest time saver with that stuff are the Cleco fasteners.
Strange,,, last night in the middle of the night and the first thing I thought of was Cleco fasteners.

Last edited:
You and I live in different worlds, for me a smoke wrench, mig welder with regular tips and a swan neck

As in one of the flexible guns like from HTP? I've always threatened to get one but never have for some reason

Yes, I should have said flexible swan neck, great for exhaust work especially flanges that have rotted off otherwise perfectly good SS converters (common failure here, why they use a cheap iron flange on SS I never understood). HTP, Radnor, Miller, Parker, Tweco, etc all make them. I use Argon with SS wire to weld SS flanges on, they are 1/2" thick and will outlast the car.

Reactions: D60
The 1/4” and 3/8” electric ratchet are huge time savers on many jobs. I never used the air ratchet much, just found the hose cumbersome, but the electrics are great.

Used to have a 1/4" air ratchet & 10' whip dedicated to interior work that I never oiled.....Things sure have advanced. Don't miss the blast of air in the face or it disturbing a bunch of dust while I'm contorted under a dash.

From a far simpler standpoint, the MityVac is a time saver. I do oil change services for friends and family. A quality set of funnels avoids spills and speeds things up as well.
On another note, I love the Mikita 1/2" impact... The disassembly time on a front brake job is down to almost nothing as compared to ratchets, etc.

Now you just need some impact swivel sockets too...

Like magic!
TBT, I've never used them. @The Critic knows I inherited my Snap On tools from my older brother who owned and operated Comprehensive Mechanics in Santa Cruz, CA, on the West Side by the University. Greg got cancer and died at 44. Lousy way to get the tools.
PXL_20230329_163135980.jpg

Saving time when doing a job allows you to take the time to double check everything and finish sooner.

Back