Honda / Acura auto trans fluid Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

What exactly is Honda hiding from it's customers?

they are trying to protect dealer profits. that's what it all comes down to. dealer profit and $ from selling parts.

quote:

I bought 2 qts of Honda HG MTF and on the back it says to limit skin contact with motor oil etc...

Isn't that normal?

quote:

Honda HG ATF-Z1 looks like the old Dexron I or II in terms of add pack.

So don't anyone tell me it's superior to anything else.

I guess since they don't produce DexII anymore, honda's got the market cornered.

jt...not accusing or implying you of anything at all
smile.gif
. Just wanted some clarification because this subject about how tight Honda is with their information has been a long ordeal. A lot of us Honda owners would love to use something else besides the Lord mandated Z1, but there has been no OK from Honda and we are a little nervous about experimenting with our transmissions. There was some talk about maybe if Z1 was a bette fluid, there wouldn't be all these problems. We just don't know. I honestly feel that a better fluid would at least help the transmissions, but I can't find anything that Honda blesses. I'm about ready to take the plunge and ask Mola to make up a batch for me to use in the Accord. The label says that Valvoline "recommends" this stuff for almost every transmission fluid out there. Case in point: Ford has very specific fluids for their transmissions. A MERCON can not replace a MERCON V, guaranteed problems. Now this Vavoline ATF says it works for both. Something is amiss here and it doesn't seem proof positive that this is a good replacement for Z1.

quote:

there has been no OK from Honda

And there never will be unless a law is passed mandating the publication of specifications for aftermarket fluids. There is some action in Europe to promote and certify aftermarket auto parts and make certain that the automakers provide the needed data to service shops. Perhaps one day that will push Honda and others into publications and/or certification.

I have many complaints with GM, but one thing they have done very well is to publicly publish specifications for service fluids and work with industry groups to put in place qualification methodologies.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back