Honda / Acura auto trans fluid Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Acura 2003 auto trans, is under a recall. From what I've read it's an output shaft not getting enough oil and causing overheating / some gear death.

I tend to keep cars for awhile, and I don't like that this trans has a problem so would I be better putting some synthetic ATF in this, or don't because of this recall. (I think it only works if it breaks thing)

quote:

Originally posted by goofy8:
My Acura 2003 auto trans, is under a recall. From what I've read it's an output shaft not getting enough oil and causing overheating / some gear death.

I tend to keep cars for awhile, and I don't like that this trans has a problem so would I be better putting some synthetic ATF in this, or don't because of this recall. (I think it only works if it breaks thing)

I'm sure that if Honda found out that you we're using anything but genuine honda fluid, they could say that was the cause of the transmission failure right there.

If your transmission is eligible for the recall (I think they go by VIN), then wait and see if Honda will make any repairs/replacements of the transmission first. If they say it checks out ok, then I suppose you could use synthetic ATF after the extended warranty from this recall runs out.

If the transmission shows no wear on the input shaft, that still doesn't mean that the design isn't flawed and will never fail, just a matter of time.

There is no synthetic ATF approved by Honda for your transmission. If you choose to use an ATF other than Honda's, you could use Amsoil or a synthetic Dexron-III ATF plus a black bottle of Lubegard HFM supplement. Amsoil and Lubegard, respectively, say that this works well. Honda says to use only their stuff.

Ken

Well here's the problem.

They extended the warranty to 100k I believe. If it lives to 110k and it dies, and something that I could have done now to help prevents that from happening I kick my self.

It's been in the shop for other issues, but they didn't mention this recall. I know about by requesting on their website that informed me.

If it is a recall, they'll send you a letter to bring your car in for the specified repairs or modifications.

If it is an extended warranty, as you say, they'll pay for repairs up to the stated mileage or time limit.

You certainly can try the synthetic ATF. It all is red & slippery, so they'll never know unless you tell them.

Ken

My advice is to stick with the Honda ATF-Z1 that the owner's manual recommends and that the trans is designed to use. Honda has not certified anyone else's fluid for use in their transmissions because their fluid's specs are "closed". The owner's manual may say Dexron III may be used temporarily but it'll say to replace the fluid with ATF-Z1 at the earliest convenience. Some may want to claim Honda compatibility because some or most of the physical properties are similar to ATF-Z1 but Honda won't certify them. Can you be assured longer trans life by using an ATF other than ATF-Z1? I don't know. Can you mess up the trans by using non-ATF-Z1 fluid? Probably a better chance; I think you may be tempting fate.

My 2000 Acura 3.2TL's trans is included under their warranty extension for the same reason yours is under recall. I'm going to keep using ATF-Z1 because the trans works just fine with it (>51K miles so far) and deal with trans failure if or when it occurs.

My 2¢

I am really suprised that Redline or Amsoil do not make and market a product for this particular application because they make a variety of specialty products for other applications.(i.e. Amsoil's "Torque Drive" for Allison trannies and Redline's "ATF+C" for Chrysler trannies. mikeyoilnutt

Here’s Amsoil’s website fluid recommendation,

Where it does say OK to use a synthetic ATF.

I look at the manual and post that info also.

2003 ACURA 3.2TL 3.2L 6-cyl VIN Code J32A1

FILTERS
Oil Filter......SDF20
Air Filter......AF1039
Air Filter......AF1122
Air Filter Qualifier......Exc. Type S
Air Filter Qualifier......Type S
Fuel Filter......N/S
PCV Valve......HV182
Cabin Filter......AF1011[2]
Cabin Filter Qualifier......Cabin
Cabin Filter......TS126[2]
Cabin Filter Qualifier......Cabin

BOSCH SPARK PLUGS
All submodels
Wire......NR
Plug......B4418

BOSCH WIPER BLADES
Driver side......B40924
Passenger side......B40919

CHASSIS LUBRICATION
0-1 Fittings, 0 Plugs..........LM
Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease
Synthetic GHD Heavy-Duty EP Grease
Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
SAE 5W-20 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
All Temps......5W-20[1]
Automatic Transmission.....SLF
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid.....PS
Power Steering Fluid - Not Available Through Amsoil Click here for more information
Brake Fluid.....HB
Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT-3, DOT-4 or SAE J1703 - Not Available Through Amsoil Click here for more information
Clutch Fluid.....HB
Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT-3, DOT-4 or SAE J1703 - Not Available Through Amsoil Click here for more information

1. 5W-30 may be used if 5W-20 is not available.

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........4.7 quarts[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........8.0 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Initial Fill..........3.1 quarts[2]
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill..........7.6 quarts

1. Capacity shown includes filter. After refill check oil level
2. With the engine automatic transmission operating temp, shift transmission
through all gears. Turn engine off and check fluid level
within one minute. Add fluid as needed

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....33 ft-lbs

SERVICE INTERVAL
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

Sorry it just a posting of the page info from Amsoil site.

Automatic Transmission.....SLF
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
Fluids

On that page can't link to 2 up sorry
dunno.gif

But if you where to click on the Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluild it would bring you here, this link posted below.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html

[ July 03, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: goofy8 ]

I've heard the recall is adding an external oil line to supply more lubrication to whatever is the deficient area. Anybody have this done?

I'm using AMSOIL's Universl ATF in both my Honda Accord and CRV automatic transmissions and it seems to work fine. This fluid meets Hondas Z1 spec.

I did two change's on each so I'm probably approx. 2/3s AMSOIL ATF.

It hasn't been very long so time will tell. So far I can't tell any difference in the CRV but I noticed a difference in the V6 Accord. Shifting much smoother and transmission seems to work better.

[ July 03, 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

Hankrr,

What year is that V6 Accord and is that a 5 speed automatic?

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:
I'm using AMSOIL's Universl ATF in both my Honda Accord and CRV automatic transmissions and it seems to work fine. This fluid meets Hondas Z1 spec.

It hasn't been very long so time will tell. So far I can't tell any difference in the CRV but I noticed a difference in the V6 Accord. Shifting much smoother and transmission seems to work better.

I have been using Amsoil ATF in my wifes 92' Accord EX since about 115K miles. She now has 174K miles on it now and now problems. Also been running Amsoil 10w-30 the same amount of time. Car runs great.

Jason

Was that a full change out? Or was it a 3 change thing?

quote:

Originally posted by cumminspuller:
I have been using Amsoil ATF in my wifes 92' Accord EX since about 115K miles. She now has 174K miles on it now and now problems. Also been running Amsoil 10w-30 the same amount of time. Car runs great.

Jason

quote:

Hankrr,

quote:

Mines a year 2000 V6 Accord. (four speed auto) I like the car although I WISH they had a manuel option with the V6 as they do now on the new Accords.

My Accord's transmission is also covered under that 100,000 mile extended coverage but I'm not really worried. If it does start acting up before that I could always change the fluid back to Honda ATF before bringing it in. Honestly though I really don't think the AMSOIL universal ATF will hurt a thing and it really does seem to shift better on it.

I'm one for not following the rules I just think it's a pain to have to go to the Honda parts dealer for fluids. I just did a complete coolant flush and went with the Prestone 5/150 coolant too rather than Honda's. I think that's a no silicon fluid which is what Honda requires.

Thanks for the info,

>and it really does seem to shift better on it<

Interesting, thou I never used Amsoil ATF fluid I never found anything that worked better than Honda ATF fluid in my 92 Accord.

My whole thing on Amsoil is that I feel it protects better, so this new Honda 5 speed auto could need a little help in the longevity department.

quote:

quote:

Hankrr,

quote:

Mines a year 2000 V6 Accord. (four speed auto) I like the car although I WISH they had a manuel option with the V6 as they do now on the new Accords.

My Accord's transmission is also covered under that 100,000 mile extended coverage but I'm not really worried. If it does start acting up before that I could always change the fluid back to Honda ATF before bringing it in. Honestly though I really don't think the AMSOIL universal ATF will hurt a thing and it really does seem to shift better on it.

I'm one for not following the rules I just think it's a pain to have to go to the Honda parts dealer for fluids. I just did a complete coolant flush and went with the Prestone 5/150 coolant too rather than Honda's. I think that's a no silicon fluid which is what Honda requires.

Here's the latest that I've seen on the transmission fiasco from Honda.
http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/automatic_transmission.pdf

Stick with ATF-Z1. The 6th generation transmissions will use exactly 3 quarts when you drain it. Change it out every 30 to 50K and I think you'll be OK. If you transmission does develope the "problem" then no amount of ATF change outs or synthetics will cure it. It will simply have to be fixed or replace. Don't you think Honda studied that problem exclusively prior to issuing out a recall? Could have saved them millions of dollars.

Schmoe,

Love Honda. They recalled transmission 5 speed auto, and see on Acura-Tl.com many problems with 01 02 transmissions. Now I find the 03 on the recall list also, but funny I fine the 04 on the list also. So if Honda felt they have a problem with drive train extended warranty, but they still have 04 on the recall list? Is the transmission a little under powered, living a short life behind a 260-270hp engine? Doesn't Synthetic oil help when they have an oil problem, isn't this type of oil live in the metal helping when there is no oil?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Here's the latest that I've seen on the transmission fiasco from Honda.
http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/automatic_transmission.pdf

Stick with ATF-Z1. The 6th generation transmissions will use exactly 3 quarts when you drain it. Change it out every 30 to 50K and I think you'll be OK. If you transmission does develope the "problem" then no amount of ATF change outs or synthetics will cure it. It will simply have to be fixed or replace. Don't you think Honda studied that problem exclusively prior to issuing out a recall? Could have saved them millions of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back