Honda Accord Axle Options

Hi there, by any chance have you checked the bearing on your intermediate shaft to make sure it is well and that it is still tight on the shaft?

Ended up being an issue on my old 2009 when I was chasing terrible vibrations.

I have heard good things about Raxles.com. In 2017 I asked for a quote and this is what I was given:

"
Hi Jaimy,

Thank you for you inquiry! The axles for your 09 Accord MT are $249.95 (W/OEM trade-ins) $329.95 (No/OEM trade-ins)per side. Please keep in mind when comparing prices that at Raxles we use NEW outer joints on all of our axles. (An industry exclusive)(See our website http://www.raxles.com/no_regrind.aspx for further elaboration on this important fact). We build these out of HD NEW components using Amsoil synthetic grease, new nuts, Harmonic Dampeners!, and the BEST CV boots. We charge no core charge "up front" and we include a UPS ARS pre-paid return label with your order. Let me know if I can be of help!

Marty"

OEM either new or salvage. Long story if you want to read it.
Son had a 2006 Cobalt he slid into curb on ice and among other things damaged cv shaft. Parts store new replacement seemed best option. Transaxle seal on that side had slight seep/leak afterwards. Replaced two-piece seal two additional times with same result. Figured installation error, so took to local Firestone (very comfortable with them - they know I usually do my own work so don't try to upsell me). When mgr called me out to look on lift I knew they weren't going to solve it. His guess was transaxle bushing somehow damaged in wreck - said they had seen that on a Toyota before same situation. So.......

Sourced another transaxle, swapped and guess what??? Still same leak. Went to a local salvage and got a GM cv shaft for $35. (Why I didn't think of this no idea - I've never been a stranger to salvage yards even if not looking for anything in particular). Problem SOLVED with OEM shaft. The Chinese AutoZone shaft was apparently machined a fraction too small. Lesson learned.

Side note: Different 2005 Cobalt bought new now has 332K and still going strong. Did replace one cv shaft last year - small hole in boot throwing grease. Other side still original, along with hub bearings, entire A/C system, fuel pump etc. One alternator, heater core, O2 sensor, water pump, thermostat, trans shift solenoid and driver's window motor. The Energizer Bunny.

I replaced the drivers side axle in my '05 Accord a year ago this month, with a new Cardone 🙀. Put about 8k miles on it since installation, and all well. For about $40 from RA, it was worth the gamble to me.

Hi there, by any chance have you checked the bearing on your intermediate shaft to make sure it is well and that it is still tight on the shaft?

Ended up being an issue on my old 2009 when I was chasing terrible vibrations.

I have heard good things about Raxles.com. In 2017 I asked for a quote and this is what I was given:

"
Hi Jaimy,

Thank you for you inquiry! The axles for your 09 Accord MT are $249.95 (W/OEM trade-ins) $329.95 (No/OEM trade-ins)per side. Please keep in mind when comparing prices that at Raxles we use NEW outer joints on all of our axles. (An industry exclusive)(See our website http://www.raxles.com/no_regrind.aspx for further elaboration on this important fact). We build these out of HD NEW components using Amsoil synthetic grease, new nuts, Harmonic Dampeners!, and the BEST CV boots. We charge no core charge "up front" and we include a UPS ARS pre-paid return label with your order. Let me know if I can be of help!

Marty"
Good suggestion - I checked it a few months ago and it was fine, but that was also when the vibrations were barely noticeable. I should probably recheck.

I replaced the drivers side axle in my '05 Accord a year ago this month, with a new Cardone 🙀. Put about 8k miles on it since installation, and all well. For about $40 from RA, it was worth the gamble to me.
The driver side axle is shorter and less sensitive to being aftermarket.

I replaced both on my 03 accord with new Napa axles due to the lifetime warranty. This was a few years ago, but at the time Napa axles gave us the least issues.

I believe they were cardone, which is a crap shoot according to everyone here (I believe it too, as we use cardone parts where I work now, and they’re junk as far as pumps and electronics go).

i never had an issue with these axles, though. Drove them about 4 years before I traded the car in. They did solve a 70ish mph vibration I had the entire time I owned the car and never cared to fix.

I also had a couple broken trans mounts (lower mounts along the driver subframe) which I was surprised by as there still wasn’t much movement/slop in the drivetrain.

The driver side axle is shorter and less sensitive to being aftermarket.
If it's not a big deal to swap out the axle for you, I'd try a reman axle. This was a big issue on Mercedes, same thing, about 1k new. (I don't know why people think Mercedes parts are expensive when a Honda axle is the same price as a Mercedes axle). The new ones had a vibration but someone tried a rebuilt unit and that one turned out fine.

Option 5. Some of those Chinese axles aren’t bad but are also throwaway items.

after going through 3-4 Cardone axles on a old beater van the parents had, I got tired and tried a new Chinese axle O’Reilly(at the time, they just bought out Kragen) gave me. It worked until the van was scrapped.

Back