CVJ Axles for Toyota 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 4Runner V8 w/133K.

The front axles' inner cv boots have been torn (at the shaft-side clamp) for a long time. Although the axles currently work fine, there is dirt inside of the boot so these axles are probably not a good candidate for re-booting.

I purchased their #9808T axles which are built from Genuine Toyota cored and they use a Genuine Toyota boot kit. Note: I do not know if CVJ grinds the joints during their rebuild process.

https://www.cvjreman.com/product/9808t/

The cost was $199/axle. I ordered both front axles and shipping to CA was about $45; I expect the return shipping to CO to be about the same. This comes out to $488 for the two axles, which is a hair more than the cost of a single new axle from the dealer ($468).

From what I can tell, the boots have the markings of Genuine Toyota boots so I think these are the real Toyota boots. I was a little bit surprised that a band clamp was used for the inner boot, but a picture of the Genuine Toyota boot kit shows a band clamp included so it is what it is.

I have used CVJ's axles before with https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4796827/Review:_CVJ_Remanufactured_CV_ . I am still not a fan of the shaft being painted where it rides on the seal surface, though.

Just wanted to share an alternative to new dealer axles if you are unable to (or do not want to) re-boot your own.

44497C3F-977C-4CD8-B403-534E8AD00E9E.jpeg

1BE98146-9073-48FA-B7EB-BA0924D65F04.jpeg

DC0BE8D5-C2B8-4D28-9A74-9A6929FEBF65.jpeg

0A6E480F-CE2E-4EC3-96E9-918F9F62E7AB.jpeg

E8AC5200-B055-47A0-91A8-749CCEBD314F.jpeg

Last edited:
I re-booted the original axles on my 1990 T4R at about 180,000. They are still on the truck, which now has nearly 300,000 in the hands of its new owner.

Toyota makes good axles.

If these are done properly, they're a great find. I'd be curious to see how they run.

Every rebuilt axle I've ever tried has had balance issues - under acceleration, you get a bit of "shake"...so, depending on the car, I am a fan of new. GKN for Euro cars, for example.

I think I asked them before if they had axles for my camry and they said no, I would need to mail my axles in to be rebuilt.

Keeping this in back of my mind too, my Tacoma takes the same axles. And it looks like they have some upgraded ones for lifted trucks, nice!

I put a set on my 4runner which is lifted 3" in front, still tore a boot after 3 years. Its the price you pay for lifted IFS vehicles.

They didn't have axles for my car either. I was going to send them in to be rebooted, but my mechanic ended up putting the boot on. Just a lot of hammering to get the joint off and on, but it's like new and I got rid of the vibration I had with an aftermarket new one that was on there before. The MB boot kit was only about $40 and came with a new bolt.

Raxles is a good place to get cv axles as well. They use new joints, and dont regrind parts.
I bought a set years ago for our old 2000 Nissan Quest and was impressed with the quality.

Installed the CV axles last week. No wobble, no issues at all.

Originally Posted by cronk
Raxles is a good place to get cv axles as well. They use new joints, and dont regrind parts.
I bought a set years ago for our old 2000 Nissan Quest and was impressed with the quality.

I think Raxles only makes axles for a few vehicle lines and Toyota is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back