Honda Accord Axle Options

Wife's 2007 Accord needs new CV axles soon. It has 150K. The boots are in good shape and are original. There is a light, but noticeable vibration that is only prevalent during acceleration. I am not sure which one is bad, but it would not surprise me if both inner joints are equally worn.

Here are my options:

1) Dealer - About $1k for both axles. My parts guy advised me that these are likely to be discontinued soon so I should pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

2) Reputable Rebuilder - $650-$675 shipped for two axles, but uses Neoprene boots.

3) Reputable Rebuilder + OEM boots - $800 shipped for two axles, plus I would need to supply the boots myself.

4) Aftermarket axles (pick your brand) - $100 for both.

5) DIY Rebuild - Replace the inner joint (tripod + cup) and both boots using Genuine Honda Parts - $351.

Thoughts?

Edit: Added option #5.

Last edited:
CVJ in Colorado...
I have used CVJ twice before. I spoke to the person and they were not familiar with the inner joint issue. If inner joint replacement is required, their price was not much less than the other rebuilder (who is more familiar).

Last edited:
On my 97 Civic I've replaced the CV joints twice in 23 years. I forget the brand, but I picked them up at Car Quest locally this most recent time. My Car isn't an accord, I had a 94 Accord and I only ever replaced the boots on those CV joints at a shop. I put over 300,00 Km on the Accord when I owned it and never had to replace the CV joints.

Options 1,2,3 are pretty steep IMO. How long are you going to keep the Accord?

When I look at the prices, you can use option 4 10 times before you match the price of option 1 if you are doing the install yourself.

Unless this Accord is going into a the Peterson Museum, I'd be going with option #4 all day long.

If you buy aftermarket axles, stay far away from anything with the name Cardone or A1. Most members on here will agree. I used Honda Parts Now two years ago to get a Honda replacement for about $225. But now for your car they list the right assembly at $500 and the left at $464. No bargain there.

Last edited:
If you can actually get OEM new axles, at any price, and are willing to spend the money, then yes they are a good choice.

If you can rebuild the axles yourself and can still get all the OEM parts, also a viable option

Otherwise, Raxles

For the one here you have to supply the boots yourself, and can get the OE boots, that's good too since the boots are the most important

So my choice would be
OE New > rebuild yourself with OE parts > Raxles > your other rebuilder where you supply OE boots > Protech aftermarket axles with thermoplastic boots Right and Left

I wonder if you could find a used set of OEM axles with low miles for a decent price? If not I'd probably go for aftermarket ones even though I hate aftermarket parts.

I'd done some research a while back for my TL and came out buying a GSP branded axle. So far it has been good to go. No vibration looked to be very well built and was affordable.

If I were racing the car or doing big power I'd go Raxles, but being totally stock I'm not having issues out of the GSP stuff.

The question for me would be how long is the wife going to keep a vehicle with 150k or get tired of driving it.

That would drive my decision more than anything. You are competent to do the job yourself, and doing it twice maybe isn't too bad.

Does Raxles make a set for this vehicle?

I've had a bad experience with an aftermarket axle on a VW, but at that price I'd consider the cheap aftermarket just to try them out.

I am all for OEM parts and what not but for 6-8 times the price on something with 150k? I'd be buying the best aftermarket ones I could find.

I’d rebuild yourself or find a reputable rebuilder. Or get the OEM ones. We used aftermarket on our stuff but it wasn’t the quality it should of been and has neoprene boots which everyone I talked too at the time swore it was better. But we still haven’t had any issues with the parts store ones with the Neoprene boots. But DIY rebuild would be my first choice.

Last edited:
@The Critic - Either 1 or 5. I wouldn't consider any other option. You're describing a classic Honda symptom to a tee.

All cheap rebuilds of these axles have the same issue you're describing, and depending on the condition of the core that was rebuilt, it may actually be worse.
Good call. Follow up test drive shows the wobble to be from the passenger side, at least it seems that way. For now I ordered one inboard joint kit and one inboard boot kit for $149, we will start there.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

its a 7th generation Accord with 150K only; agurably, the best Accord ever

option 1, plus find a dealership coupon

likewise

Back