Honda 3.5 liter V6 oil choices

30 grade oil is considered resource conserving too and is hardly any thicker than 20 weight but a bump in hths helps in the high ambient temps for sure. id run pennzoil platinum 5w-30 in it without being scared, probably euro L its a great oil. And yes outside of the US that engine can run a 30. besides a cold morning 0w-20 is still many times thicker than a 30 grade at operating temp. engine is smooth and quiet until the oil thins.
Euro L is a great oil and won't shear. The HTFS of M1 EP 0W-20 and 5W-30 are the same at 2.0. HTFS stands for High-Temperature Full Shear.

So you're absolutely right, however, 5W-30 gives you a bit more room for hot temperatures.

Yogi -
M1 EP 5W-30 is an A5/B5 oil so the HTHS needs to be at least 2.9 I think.

If I was towing 5,000 lbs in a Ridgeline or Passport on hilly terrain and scorching heat, I'd worry more about the transmission.
That was just a hypothetical worst case to make the point. I don't even know if I'll be towing anything. Contemplating a small teardrop camper like this so it would be under 2000 lbs. https://coloradoteardropcamper.com

Last edited:
If I was towing 5,000 lbs in a Ridgeline or Passport on hilly terrain and scorching heat, I'd worry more about the transmission.
Yeah those zf9's ain't the best but he was just giving a scenario thankfully. 5k pounds in a fwd is scary.

Just to add my 2 cents I'd first install a VCM muzzler on that motor and use 0w-30 in winter if you are in a cold climate and 5w-30 fully synthetic in summer. I also would change the oil early and not be running extended intervals, but that's just me.

I have always used a 0W20 oil that is high in moly both in my Accord J35 and my Tundra. I live in South Texas and have done UOA samples in both vehicles. No issues with 0W20 on both vehicles and I do tow a lot on my Tundra. Now you are going to have people talk about the VCM and tell you need to get a VCM Muzzler. Honda has had issues with VCM in the past. There are 3 generations of VCM. The current generation doesn't have the issues of past generations. Me personally, I had considered a VCM Muzzler at one time but after putting 200k+ miles on my last VCM-2 engine with no issues, I felt it wasn't necessary. I have always used use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas (mainly Shell) on very fill up I'm not talking about higher octane rating i.e. Super unleaded. Top tier gas is a higher detergency gasoline standard than what the government requires and I have never had an issue with VCM-2 and now VCM-3. I am not an engineer and I am just sharing my experience. You will have people try to scare you and say if you don't get a VCM Muzzler you are going to have issues and your engine will blow up. Take it with a grain of salt and do you. There are many people who have had no issues with using a VCM Muzzler but I just have an issue with manipulating coolant temperature and the computer thinking the car has not fully warmed up. Engines are complex and who's to say that that manipulation is not harming things. Again, I am no engineer but the guy who invented the Muzzler supposedly is one and I haven't heard of any issues using a Muzzler at least that I know of. I just never had the issues people are talking about. Not to say there are not any because Honda has had issues with early iterations of VCM. Just do your research and do what will help you sleep at night. I just want to say there are people out there that don't use VCM Muzzlers and have gotten many miles on their vehicle with no issues. My recommendation, it is very important to use top tier gas for the J35 VCM plus the Passport is Direct Injected. I recommend sticking to a high quality 0W20 oil that has a lot of moly. I just have had outstanding results with my J35 when I use 0W20 that is high in moly. Most if not all Japanese car brands has high moly in their own branded oil to include Honda and Toyota.
Totally agree with you regarding the VCM-2 issue- internet hysteria (like the high dollar IMS bearing issue on Porsche). Keep an eye on that PCV valve. Still waiting for my Honda V-6 engine to blow up...

Totally agree with you regarding the VCM-2 issue- internet hysteria (like the high dollar IMS bearing issue on Porsche). Keep an eye on that PCV valve. Still waiting for my Honda V-6 engine to blow up...
I certainly wouldn't call it hysteria and I've heard of no one suggesting the engine will blow up. But it certainly can cause issues over the long term. Disabling half of the cylinders in the name of fuel economy doesn't make sense to me when it causes other issues. Sure they keep implementing fixes to try to correct the inherent problems it causes (and even pipe in noise canceling sound through the speakers to cover up the sound when the cylinders are deactivated) but it still puts more strain on the bearings, engine mounts, oil build up in the combustion chambers, piston ring wear, etc.

I certainly wouldn't call it hysteria and I've heard of no one suggesting the engine will blow up. But it certainly can cause issues over the long term. Disabling half of the cylinders in the name of fuel economy doesn't make sense to me when it causes other issues. Sure they keep implementing fixes to try to correct the inherent problems it causes (and even pipe in noise canceling sound through the speakers to cover up the sound when the cylinders are deactivated) but it still puts more strain on the bearings, engine mounts, oil build up in the combustion chambers, piston ring wear, etc.

The best and most reliable way to save fuel is to deactivate the driver before entering the vehicle. Stay put, watch some TV, go for a run, spend some time with the kids. Too many people aimlessly and pointlessly drive around because they got nothing else to do and are too lazy to do anything else that even remotely involves any physical effort. Say that it ain't so! 😁

"blowing up engine" is hyperbole. Know what that is?

The best and most reliable way to save fuel is to deactivate the driver before entering the vehicle. Stay put, watch some TV, go for a run, spend some time with the kids. Too many people aimlessly and pointlessly drive around because they got nothing else to do and are too lazy to do anything else that even remotely involves any physical effort. Say that it ain't so! 😁
Very true

I have always used a 0W20 oil that is high in moly both in my Accord J35 and my Tundra. I live in South Texas and have done UOA samples in both vehicles. No issues with 0W20 on both vehicles and I do tow a lot on my Tundra. Now you are going to have people talk about the VCM and tell you need to get a VCM Muzzler. Honda has had issues with VCM in the past. There are 3 generations of VCM. The current generation doesn't have the issues of past generations. Me personally, I had considered a VCM Muzzler at one time but after putting 200k+ miles on my last VCM-2 engine with no issues, I felt it wasn't necessary. I have always used use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas (mainly Shell) on very fill up I'm not talking about higher octane rating i.e. Super unleaded. Top tier gas is a higher detergency gasoline standard than what the government requires and I have never had an issue with VCM-2 and now VCM-3. I am not an engineer and I am just sharing my experience. You will have people try to scare you and say if you don't get a VCM Muzzler you are going to have issues and your engine will blow up. Take it with a grain of salt and do you. There are many people who have had no issues with using a VCM Muzzler but I just have an issue with manipulating coolant temperature and the computer thinking the car has not fully warmed up. Engines are complex and who's to say that that manipulation is not harming things. Again, I am no engineer but the guy who invented the Muzzler supposedly is one and I haven't heard of any issues using a Muzzler at least that I know of. I just never had the issues people are talking about. Not to say there are not any because Honda has had issues with early iterations of VCM. Just do your research and do what will help you sleep at night. I just want to say there are people out there that don't use VCM Muzzlers and have gotten many miles on their vehicle with no issues. My recommendation, it is very important to use top tier gas for the J35 VCM plus the Passport is Direct Injected. I recommend sticking to a high quality 0W20 oil that has a lot of moly. I just have had outstanding results with my J35 when I use 0W20 that is high in moly. Most if not all Japanese car brands has high moly in their own branded oil to include Honda and Toyota.
Which high moly oil are you using in your Hondas? Honda branded 0W-20, or something else?

Don't take the blowing up part seriously. I do agree it's unnecessary but I do not see any of the inherent problems people talk about. I had over 200,000 miles on my last Accord V6. No issues. Still had the original engine mounts. If we are talking about putting strain on engines and inherent problems, let's talk about Turbo charged DI engines but then again it doesn't mean everyone will experience problems with their engines. Some manufacturers just do a better job with their engines. Now Honda didn't do a good job on the first iteration but the current VCM engines have been very reliable. Unlike Chevy's AFM. Honda is the world's largest engine manufacturer in the world. If anyone can get it right, it's Honda. It's just a shame they didn't get right the first time and some people had to be used as guinea pigs.

Last edited:
Don't take the blowing up part seriously. I do agree it's unnecessary but I do not see any of the inherent problems people talk about. I had over 200,000 miles on my last Accord V6. No issues. Still had the original engine mounts. If we are talking about putting strain on engines and inherent problems, let's talk about Turbo charged DI engines but then again it doesn't mean everyone will experience problems with their engines. Some manufacturers just do a better job with their engines. Now Honda didn't do a good job on the first iteration but the current VCM engines have been very reliable. Unlike Chevy's AFM. Honda is the world's largest engine manufacturer in the world. If anyone can get it right, it's Honda. It's just a shame they didn't get right the first time and some people had to be used as guinea pigs.
The current VCM is an improvement over the first but it still creates an unbalanced engine which needs to be addressed by various band aid fixes. I prefer to disable it.
Here's the thing about "blowing up engine" - I can't stand people who feel the need to be condescending on internet forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current VCM is an improvement over the first but it still creates an unbalanced engine which needs to be addressed by various band aid fixes. I prefer to disable it.
Here's the thing about "blowing up engine" - I can't stand people who feel the need to be condescending on internet forums.
I don't think there are any "band aid" fixes but to each their own. VCM disabled or not, I always say do you cuz at the end of the day, it's your hard earned money. I prefer to not disable it At least not with a VCM Muzzler.

Maybe band aid was not the best term. But they implemented something that was obviously going to unbalance the engine and cause problems and then they have to engineer multiple solutions to lessen (but not totally eliminate) those problems. I actually used the VCM Tuner II, not the Muzzler.
What would you use to disable the VCM if you were going to do it?

Back