Honda 1.5T fuel dilution and OCI's

As many have discussed previously, the Honda 1.5T suffers from fuel dilution.
Also, owners have started complaining of early VTC failures and timing chain components failing (which are also symptoms of oil degration).
Further information on this is available on many CRV forms where owners have had these items replaced prematurely (out of pocket for those without extended warranty).
Common symptom of the CVT failure is a loud rattle noise when started in cold weather (usually lasts about 3-5 seconds).
When left unattended, this slowly causes the timing chain to stretch and with worn out chain guides, the engine goes so far out of time that the pistons eventually collide with the valves.

The problems (as I see it) are a few issues combined:
1. Oil sump is too small (3.3-3.5 liters)
2. OCI's are too long
3. Fuel dilution from the direct injection system pushing fuel past the low tension piston rings

In the following link, the author suggests changing the oil more frequently.
https://www.davidaltmejd.com/honda-1-5-turbo-engine-problems/

My question is this, if someone were to change their oil at say, 3k mile intervals, do you think they could run a conventional 5w30 (as opposed to the 0W20) in a warmer climate?
I suggest conventional for the sake of lower costs, but more frequent changes.

Last edited:
As someone who has worked for NA Honda for years there really isn’t many problems with the 1.5T engine other than injectors running out of spec and turbochargers starting to go bad around the 150k+ mark. After servicing many 1.5T engines I have not witnessed anything related to timing chain component or vtc failures since the inception of the engine. I would recommend on sticking with factory recommendations on approved 0w20 oil and change it earlier if it helps you sleep better at night.

As someone who has worked for NA Honda for years there really isn’t many problems with the 1.5T engine other than injectors running out of spec and turbochargers starting to go bad around the 150k+ mark. After servicing many 1.5T engines I have not witnessed anything related to timing chain component or vtc failures since the inception of the engine.
Seems common on the Accord too
https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/bad-vtc-actuator-caused-catastrophic-engine-failure.463401/
Here's supporting info in regards to the CRV
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/vtc-actuator-problem-new-territory.138106/

As many have discussed previously, the Honda 1.5T suffers from fuel dilution.
Also, owners have started complaining of early VTC failures and timing chain components failing (which are also symptoms of oil degration).
Further information on this is available on many CRV forms where owners have had these items replaced prematurely (out of pocket for those without extended warranty).
Common symptom of the CVT failure is a loud rattle noise when started in cold weather (usually lasts about 3-5 seconds).
When left unattended, this slowly causes the timing chain to stretch and with worn out chain guides, the engine goes so far out of time that the pistons eventually collide with the valves.

The problems (as I see it) are a few issues combined:
1. Oil sump is too small (3.3-3.5 liters)
2. OCI's are too long
3. Fuel dilution from the direct injection system pushing fuel past the low tension piston rings

In the following link, the author suggests changing the oil more frequently.
If someone were to change their oil at say, 3k mile intervals, do you think they could run a conventional 5w30 (as opposed to the 0W20) in a warmer climate?
I suggest conventional for the sake of lower costs, but more frequent changes.
https://www.davidaltmejd.com/honda-1-5-turbo-engine-problems/
Where are you seeing recent VCT failures? Did a quick search and saw some problems on older CR-Vs (2012/13), but nothing current. I've had our '18 Accord 1.5t since new and it's been solid. I just use a fluid extractor (~4000 miles) in between dealer visits. Easy-peasy.

Some of them do. Not all.
Generally all small-displacement DI Turbocharged engines have some degree of oil dilution, the CRV, due to it's usual role as a grocery getter and kid transporter with the inherent short trips and heating demands, the tendency is for the oil not to reach proper operating temperature often enough. The main thing is to be aware of this situation, and use a good synthetic oil changed more frequently, say 4k miles max, the factory maintenance minder is an algorithm, tells you nothing about the real condition of the oil (dilution, thinning, shearing) and and as far as change intervals, should be ignored. Probably a good idea to do a UOA occasionally and change around 4k, IMHO. As a way of contrast, there are a lot of Honda 1.5t powered vehicles out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

Last edited:
So far my 2022 CRV has not shown any fuel dilution but it only has 1,300 miles. My 2013 CRV has had the VTC rattle since about 30k miles. Honda says the VTC rattle does not affect reliability. I would have to agree since I now have 112,000 miles on it and haven’t had any issues with it. I bought both of these vehicles brand new, the 2013 had 6 miles and the 2022 has 3 miles.

Where are you seeing recent VCT failures? Did a quick search and saw some problems on older CR-Vs (2012/13), but nothing current. I've had our '18 Accord 1.5t since new and it's been solid. I just use a fluid extractor (~4000 miles) in between dealer visits. Easy-peasy.
Here it is on the latest versions (for the NA market) Honda Fit, also with a 1.5 I4 with direct injections and NO turbo.
Once you peruse this site, you'll find many others with the same complaints
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-2015/104020-vtc-rattle-finally-addressed-dealer.html
It's gotten so bad that most of those with the later FIT generation, do not suggest purchasing them.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/vtc-actuator-recall.165378/

Last edited:
So far my 2022 CRV has not shown any fuel dilution but it only has 1,300 miles. My 2013 CRV has had the VTC rattle since about 30k miles. Honda says the VTC rattle does not affect reliability. I would have to agree since I now have 112,000 miles on it and haven’t had any issues with it. I bought both of these vehicles brand new, the 2013 had 6 miles and the 2022 has 3 miles.
Did you read into some of the complaints on those links above? if you did, you'd see that when left unchecked, owners have had timing components replaced.
If you do not think it's an issue, that's perfectly fine. I'm not here to persuade you and your belief in the dealership's claims.

Also what has your OCI been?
And what type and grade of oil are/were you using on the one with the VTC issue?

Last edited:
Did you read into some of the complaints on those links above? if you did, you'd see that when left unchecked, owners have had timing components replaced.
If you do not think it's an issue, that's perfectly fine. I'm not here to persuade you and your belief in the dealership's claims.

Also what has your OCI been?
And what type and grade of oil are/were you using on the one with the VTC issue?
7,500 mile OCI with 0W20…mostly Valvoline but have also used Pennzoil, NAPA, Supertech, and Havoline.

Synthetic can be had at good prices, so there is no need for dino. What OCI does your car's minder suggest? :unsure:

I didn't realize that 1.5T only took 3.5 quarts 😯
Maybe they had to leave room for fuel, which increases the amount of liquid circulating :sneaky:

Walmart's house brand synthetic is $15 for a 5qt jug, and Napa's house brand syn is $20 for a 5qt jug ($4.29 for a single quart) this month, and it's Valvoline. The big names often have rebate promos, making synthetic cost-effective and priced around dino.

I would strongly suggest something that's d1g2, and use premium fuel.

Did you ? Seems like you Googled "honda vtc" and jumped to conclusions. 2010 Accords didn't have 1.5L turbo engines nor did 13-16 CR-Vs.
Does it matter? Several owners with various models of Honda all have the same complaint.
What additional information do you need to realize there's an issue?!

I’m not sure what you want to hear. To answer your question again use the factory recommended 0w20 oil and not an out of spec inferior product. Doing so will void your warranty and give you issues down the road.

Back