Fuel dilution - how harmful, how much wear?

Isn't timing chain wear attributed to fuel dilution and was addressed with the latest GF6 formulation?

My 2L Turbo Hyundai always came back from oil testing as the fuel was diluted but OK at 5k miles. Time chain got changed around 100K miles. I usually used M1 0w40.

GF-6 is the newest ILSAC engine oil performance standard aimed at improving fuel economy and enhancing engine capabilities for passenger cars. This new standard will replace the current ILSAC GF-5 standard. Every new level of standard is backward compatible with the previous generation.

GF-6 will provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while improving piston cleanliness and fuel economy.

Seems ironic that a solution to dilution could be an additive at around 60-75% OLM … but no faith here in OTC products …
HPL EC is SAE-30 but folks are saying put that in new oil …
(need to change filter or have Fumoto to make room) …

There is a test called the Seq VH.
Ford 4.6L V8 but modified to make test abusive.
The fuel used is dirty and contains sludge precursors.
It's a 216 hour test through 3 stages.
They create a fuel dilution of 12-15% for total circulating engine oil.

Engine is then torn down and inspected.

1694530989686.png

Source:

View attachment 174073
It has been a minute since I had a DI engine and the ones I had previously (MB) specified 0W-40 and even then in my AMG, Castrol Euro withstood the dilution by retaining more viscosity versus Mobil 1 Euro for the same OCI.

I recently swapped my Wrangler with an MPI engine for a Bronco that has both MPI and DI which should be the best of both worlds, but alas so far it does not appear to be from the viscosity retention side of things. I am hopeful that after a few more miles are stacked on that fuel dilution subsides.

The lab was Polaris who uses gas chromatography, so the dilution percentages are accurate. These were short OCIs for break-in, but if this does not improve there will not be long OCIs for this engine.

2023-11-08 19_00_28-2023 Ford Bronco - Google Sheets and 15 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​...jpg

Back