Honda 1.5L gdi turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Honda is aware of the issue, how long for a solution is the question. I have the CR-V with the 1.5L turbo and I love the power it gives me in a family car. I was aware of the fuel dilution but still bought the vehicle, it was the best for my family after seeing all the competition.

To fight the issue, along with LSPI:

1. Run 91 octane
2. Change my engine air filter every 10,000 miles
3. Switching to Amsoil 0W-30. I know it's out of warranty spec, but don't want to wait for a solution.
4. Enjoy the car and don't be afraid to punch it. All in all, I'll probably trade it in for a Pilot when my family grows.

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra
At least Honda is aware of the issue, how long for a solution is the question. I have the CR-V with the 1.5L turbo and I love the power it gives me in a family car. I was aware of the fuel dilution but still bought the vehicle, it was the best for my family after seeing all the competition.

To fight the issue, along with LSPI:

1. Run 91 octane
2. Change my engine air filter every 10,000 miles
3. Switching to Amsoil 0W-30. I know it's out of warranty spec, but don't want to wait for a solution.
4. Enjoy the car and don't be afraid to punch it. All in all, I'll probably trade it in for a Pilot when my family grows.

I told my wife to stick to top tier 87. I may go with Amsoil 0W30.

Suggest 91 over 87, use Costco if you have it to save a few bucks. Everything I'm doing with the vehicle and the way my wife drives (its her car mainly), we're getting near 33mpg with a majority being city driving.

Curious...

Do we know if Honda China also recommends 0W-20? What if they recommend something more viscous and the affected owners are still having this issue? Recommending a heavier oil while citing the Chinese stop-sell, and not knowing what oil they recommend over there seems counter-productive since it may place you back at square one. Along with viscosity, what's the interval on these Chinese 1.5T? Anyone know?

thumbsup2.gif

I think many of you are forgetting that the fuel dilution issue doesn't affect all of Honda's 1.5t engines. It's a widespread problem, yes, but it's not a flaw in all of them. How many engines does this affect? 20%? 50%? Who knows. It sounds like they are still trying to get a handle on it.

I'm not treating my wife's Civic EX-T any differently until I have reason to believe it's affected by this. Until then, it's getting 0w20 and the OCIs determined by by the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I think many of you are forgetting that the fuel dilution issue doesn't affect all of Honda's 1.5t engines. It's a widespread problem, yes, but it's not a flaw in all of them. How many engines does this affect? 20%? 50%? Who knows. It sounds like they are still trying to get a handle on it.

I'm not treating my wife's Civic EX-T any differently until I have reason to believe it's affected by this. Until then, it's getting 0w20 and the OCIs determined by by the OLM.

Everyday since owning our CRV the mpgs have been getting better. 350 on the odometer, LoL it shows 28 mpg. The oil level is right at the top mark. Keeping fingers crossed.

Suggest 91 over 87, use Costco if you have it to save a few bucks. Everything I'm doing with the vehicle and the way my wife drives (its her car mainly), we're getting near 33mpg with a majority being city driving.

So far 350 miles on odo and the computer shows 28 mpg on 87 octane. It’s been getting better everyday.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

So far 350 miles on odo and the computer shows 28 mpg on 87 octane. It’s been getting better everyday.

You seem to be happy. That’s all that counts. Report back after a few thousand miles.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4495172/Amsoil_SS_0w20,_Honda_Civic_1. and many other UOA's like that have *** just so happened *** to have lots of fuel dilution on these engines that caused a stop-sell in China, but not in the U.S. for some weird reason.

Therefore, the problem is out there to a pretty good percentage. Assume it will fuel dilute. If you still can't seem to force yourself to use Mobil1 AFE 0w30, then do this:
1. Run with 0w20 engine oil at only half-way between the two lines or dots on the dipstick; not all the way full.
2. Check oil level every 2 weeks.
3. Make sure it stays between the 'full' and 'quart-low' lines or dots, at about half-way between the two.
4. 3,000 miles go by, fill it up to the full line with a cup or two of Mobil1 15w50 motorcyle oil thick stuff as make-up oil, to counteract any possible fuel dilution and keep yourself in the healthy part of the Stribeck Curve.

That way, Honda can't get their knickers in a twist with a selection of 0w30 instead of their spec 0w20, so warranty is covered.
The make-up oil 15w50 you put in will raise HTHS and KV100 a tad.

There has been consequent UOA done on my car showing acceptable level of fuel dilution and it has been also posted here on BITOG. FD is managable if treated accordingly

In the affected vehicles, the issue seems to raise it's ugly head in very cold climates. If your Honda isn't showing signs of a problem, i wouldn't worry. I trust Honda and this wouldn't sway me from buying a 1.5T.

Only time will tell. I check oil monthly or any time we have a road trip. Currently it’s sitting at the full mark. Will check it again in a few weeks.

like carbon issues fuel dilution is a part of owning a DI ONLY engine, some are worse than others!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back