Homelite Gas Trimmer - "Experiment"

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I dug out an old 2-cycle Homelite gas trimmer I had laying around. I think the last time it was used was 10~12 years ago -
eek.gif
- experiment time. It ran when it was last used.

I had some pre-mixed gas so thought I'd put some gas in the empty tank and see if it would fire up. Had to pull the spark plug and "prime" it a few times, but it finally started but would only run if choked, then unchocked ... choked then unchoked. Wouldn't take any throttle. It did try to idle for a little bit. Then all of a sudden it stopped and I couldn't get it started again. Noticed that one of the rubber hoses coming out of the gas tank "popped off" - you'll see later why in the photo below. The rubber hoses still seemed pliable and soft, but after inspecting further I discovered why it stopped running ... and probably why it would only run unless choked and unchoked.

Guess I might try to find some fuel hose and a filter that will work (lots available on Amazon), and will probably have to open up the carburetor because it probably got some hose chunks sucked inside it - maybe not if I'm lucky. Amazon has tons of new carbs for weed eaters for cheap (like $10~15 for the carb, fuel hoses & filters), but I couldn't find the model number of this Homelite listed in any of the Amazon carbs being sold - I think it's about vintage 1995 (so ~25 years old!). If I need a new carb maybe I can just match up the carb mounting bolt pattern and get one not specific for this Homelite that might work -? I don't plan on spending much to see if I can get it working good again ... the rest of the trimmer is in good shape.

[Linked Image]

All the hose that was inside the tank basically disintegrated. The hose outside the tank seemed fine.

[Linked Image]

Just order the hose & filter , first . Then replace them & see if it runs OK . Before you try to replace the carb .

Best of luck ! :)

After fiddling with 2 strokes every year I finally went to a 40V battery operated trimmer and haven't looked back.
I had the same issue with mine and couldn't get it right.
Gas operated 2 stroke trimmers are great for a guy that uses them constantly (never let's them sit)...but for a
homeowner who only uses it occasionally....I'm for battery operated trimmers.

Drain the carb, fresh gas not from your old gas can, replace the hoses, replace the 2 diaphragms in the carb.

I just did what you're doing! Mine was a Stihl Pole Saw that only gets run once in a while. Couldn't keep it running - the rubber diaphragms had age-hardened and weren't pumping gas (pulsa-jet design carb).

Dug around the net and found Stihl had changed carb suppliers from USA Walbro to Chinese outfit. Don't recall the name now. Took off this carb, and it was already a Chinese Carb (20 years old), so went on the net, found the carb number, and ordered one for $15 from Amazon. Carbs aren't worth taking apart and replacing the elastomers any longer, unfortunately. Slapped the new carb and hoses in, runs perfect.

With nothing to lose, take carb apart to see if any sludge buildup. Clean passages with carb spray and possibly replace the 2 diaphragms as suggested above.

I have an older Homelite ST285BC.

Does anyone know by looking at the photo which hose is fuel inlet and which one is outlet?

The hose on the left goes into where the primer bulb is, so I'm assuming that would be the fuel inlet to the carb - ?

[Linked Image]

Sometimes weed whackers pressurize the fuel tank which forces the fuel up into the carb. That is to say, I can't answer your question.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Does anyone know by looking at the photo which hose is fuel inlet and which one is outlet?

The hose on the left goes into where the primer bulb is, so I'm assuming that would be the fuel inlet to the carb - ?

Which model trimmer is this? It's been a while since I had a Homelite 2 cycle but IIRC they had several different carbs over the years. IDing the model would help determine which carb was used and the line configuration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY

Which model trimmer is this? It's been a while since I had a Homelite 2 cycle but IIRC they had several different carbs over the years. IDing the model would help determine which carb was used and the line configuration.

It's a model ST2517 (UT20611-R) ... info from the owner's manual. The UT number is also on the tag that's on the trimmer.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Drain the carb, fresh gas not from your old gas can, replace the hoses, replace the 2 diaphragms in the carb.

That likely will solve his problem. Diaphrams stiffen up with age and will not draw the fuel in.

It's a model ST2517 (UT20611-R) ... info from the owner's manual. The UT number is also on the tag that's on the trimmer.

Check the diagram on page 3 of the PDF at the following link. From what I can tell the filter attaches to the right hose in your photo, and the left one goes into the tank.

Edit: this link is better. Just scroll to search for your model.
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Homelite-Parts-Manuals-For-Strimg-Trimmers/

Last edited:
don't waste money on this pos. desighned to be a throw away. buy a pro quality unit and it will likely last 20 years

Check the diagram on page 3 of the PDF at the following link. From what I can tell the filter attaches to the right hose in your photo, and the left one goes into the tank.

Great find on the parts diagram ... thanks! Yes, you're correct ... the filter is on the fuel intake hose, which would go to the right top fitting on the carburetor in the photo I posted.

It looks like there were two different brands of carburetors used on this model. Just looked at mine and it says "ZAMA" on the carb, so that might help me find a new carb assembly for cheap on Amazon if I decide to go that route (using the model number of the ZAMA carb in the parts info). I might just buy some hose and a filter for like $8 and try that first. Don't plan on spending much to see if I can get some use out of it. It's in good shape besides the fuel lines rotting away.

Update - found this ZAMA C1U series carb rebuild kit for $6.58. Looks like the right one ... says it fits the C1U-H18A which is what the parts diagram shows.

https://www.amazon.com/HIPA-Carburetor-Rebuild-Diaphragm-Homelite/dp/B00X43EB0U/

So I noticed in the parts diagram in that link that every page has been annotated at the top with "ST2517 String Trimmer UT-20611R". But if you look at the first page, it lists many model and UT numbers that the parts lists covers, but I don't see ST2517(UT-20611R). Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like it would apply to my trimmer.
21.gif

I might call those guys and see what they say.

So I noticed in the parts diagram in that link that every page has been annotated at the top with "ST2517 String Trimmer UT-20611R". But if you look at the first page, it lists many model and UT numbers that the parts lists covers, but I don't see ST2517(UT-20611R). Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like it would apply to my trimmer.
21.gif

I might call those guys and see what they say.

This place shows the same parts list (#19219) for the "ST2517 UT-20611-R".

https://www.barrettsmallengine.com/homelite/trimmerpartslist.html

I called the guy at K&T Parts House, and he says look for the number on the ZAMA carb, and that's the best way to find a rebuild kit for the carb. He couldn't tell me why the parts list doesn't show the UT number it's supposed to be for. But the link about is showing same parts list.

It's great that you found further info...and a $6 rebuild kit! Hopefully the rebuild will restore the engine function. However, if a new carb is only $8 or $10 as tundraotto said, you may be better off just getting a new carb. I have used three of these Chinese knockoffs so far and all have worked well.

If things don't work out you can always follow super20dan's advice and chuck the whole thing, but I don't see any reason to scrap a cheap functional unit for a top of the line trimmer, if only for occasional home use.

Back