Home DIYer scan tool.

The little ELM327 bluetooth OBD adapter and my Torque app are kinda maxed out on their capabilities. And I got the good ol' ScanGaugeII laying around somewhere... But both only show CELs really, and I'd like to do a little more. ABS, SRS, etc... Nothing crazy, but budget friendly stuff. I'm simply trying to stop bothering my friends with Snap-On tools for the little stuff here and there. Tried FB Marketplace and craigslist, but all scan tools there are not much cheaper than brand new, and I do not plan to spend thousands on a scan tool...

My current research has me looking at 2 models of LAUNCH Scan Tools: Creader Elite 200 ($99)
61GHPJkyBeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

and CRP123x Elite ($141).
71DBBy4MxGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They seem to be pretty close in specs, and I wonder if CRP123x is truly worth the extra money, or if Creader 200 is more than enough for a DIYer?
The newest vehicle I maintain is a 2012. But both of the Launch scan tools come with free lifetime updates, for when we upgrade any of the vehicles eventually.
Anyone here used either, or both? Any feedback? Or are there better options for the money?

I received a LAUNCH Creader Elite 200 scantool (Honda dedicated version) for Christmas and returned it after trying to use it for 3 days. It would not read anything other than basic OBD II check engine light codes on any Honda older than ~2010. Also, it was painfully slow, taking ~12 minutes to do a full "state of health" scan which was full of errors. It even showed a defect code for an AT on a manual transmission vehicle and a "no A/C" diagnosis on the vehicle with fully functioning A/C. Also, the automatic VIN recognition feature did not work on 4 different Hondas that I tested.

The LAUNCH scantool requires nearby WiFi connectivity to download updates to what appears to be a generic "Diag-Asia" diagnostic program that is identical to what my $50 Autel MaxiAP200 uses.

The best choice probably depends on how/where you will use it.

I used the little ELM327 and Torque app for 5+ years and really like the small size and convenience, especially when taking it along on trips. However, like you, I wanted a little more functionality than it allowed. I eventually bought the Autel AL619 ($99 Amazon) which does ABS etc. It works great but takes up a lot of space in the glove box during trips, so I leave it at home in the toolbox and take the dongle instead.

If I were looking for a single multifunction, compact unit, I would consider the little HyperTough dongle ($49 Walmart) which does ABS etc and would fit nicely in the glove box. I have no idea how well it works, but Walmart's return policy is great if things don't pan out.

Last edited:
In a similar position, have Bluetooth adapters (ELM327, VP11, BlueDriver), ScanGuage ll and an OBD2 multi gauge. I was looking for a decent scanner that could do most of what I needed without spending $2000+ but the options available are impossible to sort through and seem to be intentionally confusing.

I tried a Topdon ArtiDiag AD800BT, less than $1000, Bluetooth, lifetime updates, etc. It was an eye opener and I'm so glad I bought from Amazon and could get my money back without penalty.

ArtiDiag800BT 640.jpg

There are so many issues and strange design choices with these scanners. Bad translations, cryptic descriptions, frustrating UI, various dysfunctions, crashes. It feels like all of the Chinese brands come from the same house and are the result of infighting with no cohesive management.

Find someone who has used one for a while, ask local shops, scrounge the media, or just buy something you can return.

Last edited:
I'm still interested in finding that unicorn of a scanner so I'll be keeping tabs on this thread.

I'm sure I already looked but I think a chart comparing brands/features/prices would be very tough to do.

Thank you fellas for that feedback. Looks like Launch 200 is off the list. Still kinda holding hope for CRP123X... Hopefully someone can chime in with first hand experience about that one.

Also discovered XTOOL D7. Seems like a decent tool for the money, but still out of my budget. I saw a post somewhere that sums it up well: "D7 is a $1000 scan tool, with a $400 price tag."

I remember looking at the Xtool units and it's all the same rabbit hole. Spend a little more and get "the new version" or bluetooth or bigger screen or ...

I've found comments that describe that Xtool is a cheap knock off or that Launch is the "real" company behind the software, or Topdon has "excellent" support, etc, etc. There's so many barely functional tools out there it's hard to see if there's anything actually worth buying (under $1000, under $2000, etc). I think that anything with "lifetime" updates is as suspicious as those with subscriptions.

I remember looking at the Xtool units and it's all the same rabbit hole. Spend a little more and get "the new version" or bluetooth or bigger screen or ...

I've found comments that describe that Xtool is a cheap knock off or that Launch is the "real" company behind the software, or Topdon has "excellent" support, etc, etc. There's so many barely functional tools out there it's hard to see if there's anything actually worth buying (under $1000, under $2000, etc). I think that anything with "lifetime" updates is as suspicious as those with subscriptions.
Idk. The video by Car Care Nut about XTOOL D7 (and later D8) goes pretty deep and shows great functionality, compared to many others that I've seen, including Launch. Completely different interface, speed, controls.

I had to stop watching the CCN on YT when he was talking about transmission fluid and said that you don't want the fluid too clean because the clutches need the dirt for better friction. 🤨 That has nothing to do with Xtool or their products though.

I was almost ready to get a D8BT but decided to try Topdon first. Maybe the D8 is worth a try?

I had to stop watching the CCN on YT when he was talking about transmission fluid and said that you don't want the fluid too clean because the clutches need the dirt for better friction.

I think you been too hard on him, most folks never change the trans oil and in some cases the friction material is what is keeping the trans going.

I think you been too hard on him, most folks never change the trans oil and in some cases the friction material is what is keeping the trans going.
You might be right but I have a low tolerance for "ignorant teachers" and I've been trying to tolerate them my whole life (they are everywhere). Everyone makes mistakes, I do get that.

If he was 'just some guy' on YT then I'd just unsubscribe and let it go but from what I remember CCN likes to "talk". I'm sure he has valuable experience, and he's obviously getting traction on YT, but promoting "dirty ATF" was too far for me.

Or maybe anyone has experience with XTool A30? Not X30D or X30M though, as my goal is to be at $120, or $150 max.
The Xtool A30 Pro is quite powerful, wireless and touch screen or buttons (both work). It exceeds your budget presently at $240, though

They claim free LT updates, or did when I purchased. I like mine with 2 caveats:

‐very slow to boot up. Android OS
-easy to power off screen but not the unit, thus you return to a dead battery. Thankfully it charges thru USB-C which I like.

Waiting here for an AB60F to come up to temp:
20231115_182139.jpg

Last edited:
One set of features I had my eye on was wireless (BT) and bi-directional control. I could see how it would be very useful to be able to activate systems remotely while troubleshooting.

Ie, loose connections, bad wiring, failing sensors, etc.

From what I remember this would push the cost over $1000.

One set of features I had my eye on was wireless (BT) and bi-directional control. I could see how it would be very useful to be able to activate systems remotely while troubleshooting.

This new unit looks intriguing if coupled with a 25% Harbor Freight discount.

1706233595753.jpg

XTool A30M is Bluetooth and Bi-directional. $239 and very capable. But Bluetooth connection will never be as fast as cable connection, so there is definitely more time spent looking at the screen while it says "Communicating..." Plus there is a question of the phone/tablet being used for this, and its operational speed.

This new unit looks intriguing if coupled with a 25% Harbor Freight discount.

View attachment 200220
Oh boy... I'm definitely more interested in more budget options. $100-$150 is the budget, for simple DIY stuff like CEL/ABS/SRS/etc. Not trying to run a repair shop here with dealership level of equipment. Even the $400 XTool D7 is too expensive for this thread.

Not quite an answer but I bought a Foxwell NT630 which is dedicated ABS/SRS/ airbag model bi-direction for like $130 bucks, and it helped me with some ABS issues. It will activate all the ABS sensors, etc.

I would like something better but to get full functionality as seen above it seems you need to spend $500+, and a lot more if you want full bi-directional, keys, TPMS, etc. So between torque pro and my $130 ABS scanner I have been able to do everything I need to thus far.

Back