What is the cheapest scan tool that can read transmission temperature?

What car?
This will pull trans temp with any normal Bluetooth obd2 on android. I bought the 20$ BAFX one on amazon. There is a similar app for IOS but you need a Wifi obd2 dongle. The app is free but it's so good I bought pro. It has way more functionality as well like reset adaptives on kia/hyundai.

A cheap possibility would be Thinkcar Pro. Does manufacturer specific codes and it's $45 on Amazon after the $20 coupon.

until you see $29/year to continue using it to diagnose/reset... :(
What car?
This will pull trans temp with any normal Bluetooth obd2 on android. I bought the 20$ BAFX one on amazon. There is a similar app for IOS but you need a Wifi obd2 dongle. The app is free but it's so good I bought pro. It has way more functionality as well like reset adaptives on kia/hyundai.

I've tried that app before (I like it overall) and checked again, but none of the "ATF temperature value 1,2,3" show up on 2014 BMW 528i or 2014 Prius - granted those are maybe 'difficult' models :)

After trying 5+ apps, maybe that $110 Foxwell 510E open box scanner was money well spent...

I believe that's for updates. You stop getting updates after a year so you can't update the software. But I think you can still use it even if the software isn't updated. I figure that you don't really need the software update as the car hasn't really changed much unless you got some firmware update from the dealer.

I've tried that app before (I like it overall) and checked again, but none of the "ATF temperature value 1,2,3" show up on 2014 BMW 528i or 2014 Prius - granted those are maybe 'difficult' models :)

After trying 5+ apps, maybe that $110 Foxwell 510E open box scanner was money well spent...
Did you select your vehicle? There is an option to select your specific vehicle, it's kinds hidden. I was able to get trans temp on a 2018 camry. Like for my kia it won't show trans temp unless the right vehicle is selected. I'm pretty sure prius would work.

Did you select your vehicle? There is an option to select your specific vehicle, it's kinds hidden.
Duuh, yes it works great if you select the right vehicle first! (which is hidden down past the initial screen - given how fast it connect and get the right VIN, it should really auto detect the model... I can see ATF temp for 14 BMW 528, 07 Acura MDX, but no ATF/transmission for the 14 Prius though it does have MG1 and MG2 temp which are motors inside the transmission so maybe that's what you are supposed to use... it's has bizzilions sensor reading on the Prius (including every single HV cell voltage and resistance though the later numbers may not match Dr Prius which showed a variation - will have to compare side to side)

Great app, will likely buy the Pro version now. Though a little buggy as I couldn't get a dashboard with all temps showing... only one at a time (may need Pro ?) Now I need to decide if I want to keep the fancy foxwell 510E scanner :)

Duuh, yes it works great if you select the right vehicle first! (which is hidden down past the initial screen - given how fast it connect and get the right VIN, it should really auto detect the model... I can see ATF temp for 14 BMW 528, 07 Acura MDX, but no ATF/transmission for the 14 Prius though it does have MG1 and MG2 temp which are motors inside the transmission so maybe that's what you are supposed to use... it's has bizzilions sensor reading on the Prius (including every single HV cell voltage and resistance though the later numbers may not match Dr Prius which showed a variation - will have to compare side to side)

Great app, will likely buy the Pro version now. Though a little buggy as I couldn't get a dashboard with all temps showing... only one at a time (may need Pro ?) Now I need to decide if I want to keep the fancy foxwell 510E scanner :)
Glad you figured it out, yeah its kinda quirky and not as polished. If there are multiple motor options under the vehicle selection try them all and see what u get. Like for example there are a couple for my 18 kia but only one of them correctly works I had to select JFa which is the specific model (basically 2.4 Theta II). Keep trying I'm sure it will be in there. You can also manually add readings if you can find the code on a forum for the ATF temp on prius and then match that with the out of the box temps you described, that might give you a clue.
Yeah auto vin would be nice and u have to remember to change it if u have multiple cars but the app is free and he keeps adding more and more cars. It's really miraculous this guy gives this app for free, and to upgrade to pro he accepts what you think he deserves. Great hidden gem app.

Glad you figured it out
Turns out I'm using large font on Android and that clips the vehicle icon by default so I totally forgot I have the wrong one selected - keep on forgetting many apps don't handle this well... Not an issue with default font. I just paid for Pro - didn't give me a choice other than 3month vs 1 year, but with one time $4.50 is that no brainer and barely a coffee... I have an open source library on github (gridstack) for free but ask for donations as it is a big time sync to create, so I totally relate to him as so few people do in my case. Hopefully he's being successful at it. Too bad he's in Russia with what's going on..

Many obd apps have a 'custom' input that lets you enter the code for a PID. I have an OBD2 MX and the app that came with it does not offer trans temp, but I entered the code for it and it reads it.

ActiveODB and a Elm327 reads my Subaru CVT temp and ratio on Android.
Took almost 5 qts CVTF II for a drain and fill

Last edited:
Back