What is the cheapest scan tool that can read transmission temperature?

Apparently, changing the CVT fluid on a Subaru actually requires the scan tool to take the transmission temperature because you have to run it and keep filling it a little more once it's warmed up. It's not like Toyota that recommends a scan tool for their CVT changes but you can get away with just measuring cold and refilling the same amount. And of course, Honda doesn't even require any scan tools for their CVT fluid changes at all.

Since Subarus require it, what is the cheapest scan tool that reads transmission temperature? Is there anything under $200 that will do the job? Hopefully there's something cheap that can do transmission temp.

Here is the CVT fluid change process on a Subaru:

HT200 scanner $50 at Walmart. Only works for one make that you choose.

I'm sorry but this is bad advice. Like Adam said, the OP can buy a cheap ELM327 OBD dongle on Amazon for around $10 or less and then pair it with the Torque free app on an Android phone.

Last edited:
Right, I can read the trans temp with an $8 ELM327 and then freeware from the App Store, "OBDII" is the one I use I believe.

I'm sorry but this is bad advice. Like Adam said, the OP can buy a cheap ELM327 OBD dongle on Amazon for around $10 or less and then pair it with the Torque free app on an Android phone.
Pretty sure torque pro qualifies as a code reader. OP asked for a scan tool, which does quite a bit more than just read data. That’s my understanding anyways, it is a gray area. Scan tool in my book has oil reset, abs bleeding etc. My HT200 will even read and diagnose my sliding door computers.

Pretty sure torque pro qualifies as a code reader. OP asked for a scan tool, which does quite a bit more than just read data. That’s my understanding anyways, it is a gray area. Scan tool in my book has oil reset, abs bleeding etc. My HT200 will even read and diagnose my sliding door computers.

correct. I would like an actual scan tool rather than just an app and dongle

The OBD dongle & Torque Pro route isn't a sure thing with trans temp. I don't about Subaru's but experience with a (supported) Chrysler product is the getting a trans temp reading can be a giant waste of time. On the upside IR temp guns are really cheap and work quite well, I have a $20 one from Costco and it worked great for getting that uncooperative NAG-1's temperature.

Could also plausibly put an ohmmeter on that sensor and find a chart for resistance vs temp.

Just an update for everybody, and a reminder to never forget about used scan tools that could be available :)

The Innova 5512 is $200 new, but I got a used one for only $70. Innova has the best site by far to compare and shop for scan tools. They let you search by year/make/model, and also by VIN if you prefer. It specifically said transmission temperature.

Actron and Autel need to improve their sites because it was impossible for me to determine which ones will have the functionality I need.

I am tired of tracking down and programming PID's

Used Innova, or any other, with the support/features you need, is a smart purchase.

I've removed so many app's off my phones, just for dedicated products, and save the phone for calls/tests.

Scan tools from ebay, craigslist, and local yard sales are a great buy.

Torque free won't read the transmission temperature. Even the paid version is not guarantee will read that on Subaru:

And some of those cheap ELM327 clones won't work on all the cars out there. New cars need CAN bus compatibility.

reviving this

Torque app didn't work for me (didn't try Pro) on 2014 BMW 528 (ZF8 tranny). I see 3 slots for transmission temperature but they are empty. with decent but cheap ELM327 dongle (recommended by Dr. Prius which works great on my hybrid)

HT200 scanner $50 at Walmart. Only works for one make that you choose.
is no longer sold https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperTou...motive-All-Systems-Scan-Code-Reader/182091951
and replacement (from what I can tell) "Autel MaxiAP AP200" https://www.walmart.com/ip/Autel-Ma...nostic-Scan-Tool-Check-Engine-Light/554574511 is with yearly fees to update now, or maybe it's the "MaxiAP AP200C/H/M" version. all confusing..

Hard time finding a cheap device for transmission temperature - at the end I ended up getting a used Foxwell 510 Elite BMW, which supports just about everything and bi-direction testing so might come handy in the future. Overkill for just temp, and also just 1 car, extras cars are $60-80 but does OE level functions.

Yeah, free torque pro does not show trans fluid temp. ELMScan for Toyota worked when I installed it a while ago...
I don't get why we need to buy anything; the computer and sensors are there, the display is there. why the heck isn't the output there?

I would try a dongle and try out some apps. But if you want a scanner, go for it.

Yeah, free torque pro does not show trans fluid temp. ELMScan for Toyota worked when I installed it a while ago...
just tried ELMScan Toyota (demo) and it doesn't show tranny temp on 2014 Prius - likely doesn't do hybrids...
I can see coolant temp under generic ODBII CAN (using ELM327 v1.5) but under Toyota code (ISO-15765 CAN), I only see a bunch of solenoid and other things, not transmission temp. Oh well.

Last edited:
I use Scangauge II to read the transmission temperature on my 2014 Forester. You must find the code and input it to the Scangauge to activate this feature. As is, it won’t read the trans temp.

I like having the gauge since I can read other parameters as well.

Back