HM Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AmishFury
pqia did a HM oil analysis recently... so you have a comparison of numbers... real world comparison as usual is another story

True, I did see that report. A UOA may prove a bigger picture, as you indicate.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Has anyone tried the WalMart Supertech High Milage formula? Would be interesting to know how it compared to the Maxlife and other big names.

My son has a 96 Corolla with 219K miles. Prior to using STHM 10W40 he was using ST conventional 10W30 oil. At about 8-900 miles he was adding a qt. of oil. After switching to STHM it went up to about 1100 miles. He then switched to VML 10W40 and is now adding a qt. about every 1300-1400 miles.

I believe what KCJEEP was referring to was that he is seeing that PHM is working better for him in his application - that beeing a Jeep 4.0L engine . I'm sure KCJEEP would be open to other considerations for different vehicle applications . That said , the PHM is one heck of a oil with a fantastic add pack !
I am using STHM as make up oil (Jeep 4.0L) and bought it primarily on price . The add pack is not as robust as other brand name HM oils and the NOACK is not so good and at the upper limit. In the real world STHM would be ok for a 3,000 ~ 4,000 mile OCI but as a main fill , I would rather stay with PHM .

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
No matter now this Jeep is getting Pennzoil for the rest of the time I own it.
banana2.gif

KC, I remember when you suggested my son try VML 10W40 in his Corolla over the ST HM oil. Are you an exclusive PHM user now? Do you think the PHM is better than VML in stopping leaks or that and making an engine run more quiet?

Chris is right I am referring to the Jeep. I just haven't found anything better for it than Pennzoil.

I am a big fan of Maxlife and have used it extensively in a couple of our other vehicles, great stuff but it happens to be noisy in my Jeep so I use Maxlife in the Chrysler and Ford.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I am using STHM as make up oil (Jeep 4.0L) and bought it primarily on price . The add pack is not as robust as other brand name HM oils and the NOACK is not so good and at the upper limit. In the real world STHM would be ok for a 3,000 ~ 4,000 mile OCI but as a main fill , I would rather stay with PHM .

STHM is only good for a 3-4K interval in a Jeep 4.0L? No way!

I base this on STHM being a conventional oil with just an average add pack (at best) ...For a top brand conventional HM oil in a short to medium tripper (like my jeep 4.0L) I would not run the oil past 4,500 miles , so I believe my guestimate on STHM for the conditions I run the jeep are about right . Of course a UOA may provide surprising information - but again , I don't think I'm too far off with my rational.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

STHM is only good for a 3-4K interval in a Jeep 4.0L? No way!

My kid runs a UOA backed 6500+/- interval on what ever is left in the basement or bulk 5W30 from work and it's fine.

I beat my trail Jeep worse than anyone on this board and my last interval was 2.5 years on QSUD 5W30. The odometer showed 52 miles in that time, but many gallons of fuel was used. My Fe for the interval was 9. Not that UOA's are an indicator of engine wear. Most here think Mobil 1 isn't a good match for the AMC engine, but the highest mileage 4.0L in my group of friends has run M1 nearly it's entire 350K life.

Running STHM for 3-4 because you feel safer doing so is one thing, but indicating an oil is only good for X miles without information to back it up doesn't mean anything. I'd bet you'd be surprised with the numbers if you tested it after a 4500 mile interval in your rig.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Has anyone tried the WalMart Supertech High Milage formula? Would be interesting to know how it compared to the Maxlife and other big names.

My son has a 96 Corolla with 219K miles. Prior to using STHM 10W40 he was using ST conventional 10W30 oil. At about 8-900 miles he was adding a qt. of oil. After switching to STHM it went up to about 1100 miles. He then switched to VML 10W40 and is now adding a qt. about every 1300-1400 miles.

Great info there - thanks!

For the longest time I could not factor in how a synthetic HM oil, like M1, could help stop oil consumption, yet, not cause a leak because it's a synthetic oil.
grin.gif

Me too. I suggested VML to a friend, who is Valvoline partial, with a very leaky Dodge Dart. He asked if the synthetic (always used dino) would make it leak faster and I couldn't give him a definite answer.

I just said consumption may increase until the seal conditioners kick in. Its an old car so who knows how that that would take. The only experience I have with HM oil stopping a leak was with M1 HM. My Jeep had already seen synthetic oil so that causing more leaks wasn't a concern.

Last edited:
Your observation is correct Zaedock - just a gut feeling with no numbers to back it up ... I gotta ask though : With hard running and only 52 miles over 2.5 years just exactly what are you using your jeep 4.0L for - vertical rock wall climbing (lol) ??
Running STHM for 3-4 because you feel safer doing so is one thing, but indicating an oil is only good for X miles without information to back it up doesn't mean anything. I'd bet you'd be surprised with the numbers if you tested it after a 4500 mile interval in your rig.

Hello,

I have a 2000 JGC with about 140M on it. Be careful about using the oversized oil filter. There is a smaller Motorcraft that I use, and several others here and on Jeep forums, it is the FL400S. It uses less oil than the OEM filter, but gets rid of the start-up knock very well, and I use it on 6-8 month OCI, about 4000 miles.

Also wanted to add that I recently tried 5W30 Castrol GTX HM in my F150 V8, and it felt like the engine was 5 years newer. Now I cannot explain how they do it, but I will be using the 10W30 wt. in the Jeep 4.0 this month. Not sure how it can be so thick at temp, yet feel so smooth and quiet. Castrol is on to something here. (I have no connections at all with Castrol)

VW

Like a : "In Living Color - Hey Mon" skit about how many jobs (roll overs) you have in a year ? ... "My uncle Jeffrey from Kingston he had 12 roll overs last year Mon !! ...That's nothing Mon - my cousin Quentin from Montego Bay had like 15 roll overs last year Mon !! ... How many roll overs you have last year Mon " ?
I use my Jeep on the toughest trails in New England and average 10-12 roll overs a year.
19.gif

Due to space constraints of my particular Jeep 4.0L I can only use the recommended stock filter (i.e. Fram TG16) which is a good buy at WM ... If WM sells the Castrol GTX HM 10W30 I may consider it for a future fill if I run into some unforeseen problem with Pennzoil HM 10W30 .
Originally Posted By: VWright
Hello,

I have a 2000 JGC with about 140M on it. Be careful about using the oversized oil filter. There is a smaller Motorcraft that I use, and several others here and on Jeep forums, it is the FL400S. It uses less oil than the OEM filter, but gets rid of the start-up knock very well, and I use it on 6-8 month OCI, about 4000 miles.

Also wanted to add that I recently tried 5W30 Castrol GTX HM in my F150 V8, and it felt like the engine was 5 years newer. Now I cannot explain how they do it, but I will be using the 10W30 wt. in the Jeep 4.0 this month. Not sure how it can be so thick at temp, yet feel so smooth and quiet. Castrol is on to something here. (I have no connections at all with Castrol)

VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back