HM M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
HM M1? Is that some kind of virus?

Yes, and it has insidious side-effects: It makes you crave the dreaded Mobil-1 Kool-Aid!
13.gif

I'm not a Mobil 1 person. I'm just not.

But, I'm running the 10W-30 High Mileage (96 Crown Vic) and my car loves it. I'm not getting the feel of lost power from the oil being thicker. In fact, according to my Scangauge, I'm making 7hp more now (to be fair, I did run a can of Amsoil Power Foam 30 miles before the oil change)

i put it in my moms malibu and i thought it ran great as well cleaning out engine...2000 'bu with 116k on it and engine is in great shape

Originally Posted By: Geonerd

Yes, and it has insidious side-effects: It makes you crave the dreaded Mobil-1 Kool-Aid!
13.gif

Yea ok Bill...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How about the moly level in the Mobil 1 HM oils?

it ranges from 88 to 93 for the 10w30 and 40
Originally Posted By: crazycrak
how are they about controlling leaks do the actually restore seals? or is that just a sales pitch

there's some truth,they have seal additives added and esters base oil's to help, they wont stop a bad leak but i've have small weeps stoped sure.

88 to 93 ppm moly? How do I say this w/o starting WWW-III? Not only Mobil but I've seen moly counts even lower in other oils. Then there are oils that contain no mloy. Is there any point to such a small amount?

My question is because I want to understand, not bash the product. I think they use other AW adds instead of moly, so I just don't understand why they'd even bother with such a low count, unless that is all the moly that is needed?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: daman
How about the moly level in the Mobil 1 HM oils?

it ranges from 88 to 93 for the 10w30 and 40
Originally Posted By: crazycrak
how are they about controlling leaks do the actually restore seals? or is that just a sales pitch

there's some truth,they have seal additives added and esters base oil's to help, they wont stop a bad leak but i've have small weeps stoped sure.

88 to 93 ppm moly? How do I say this w/o starting WWW-III? Not only Mobil but I've seen moly counts even lower in other oils. Then there are oils that contain no mloy. Is there any point to such a small amount?

My question is because I want to understand, not bash the product. I think they use other AW adds instead of moly, so I just don't understand why they'd even bother with such a low count, unless that is all the moly that is needed?

Thanks

I dunno but i would say with the other adds that may or may not show up in a VOA it's all that is needed is the smaller amounts.

i'm just glad to see that much!!

When you look at an oil like Red Line or Motul that is why I questioned the low level of moly in the Mobil 1. Its like why bother? I'm sure they have a reason for it though.

When you browse the VOA section, you'll see that the great majority of mainstream oils contain about the same level of Moly. I wish for more, but must also assume that these lowish levels do offer a reasonable level of protection. That said, I very nearly tossed a bottle of Redline in with my last change - maybe next time.

If you add up the Molybdenum, Zinc/Phos, and Boron additives in M1HM, you wind up with a fairly decent balance that is hopefully/presumably effective at preventing wear.

If you add up the Molybdenum, Zinc/Phos, and Boron additives in M1HM, you wind up with a fairly decent balance that is hopefully/presumably effective at preventing wear.

More then.

13.gif

Are you sure about that? I thought that it caused high concentrations of iron in the blood stream... I could be wrong of course.

Quote:

Smaller amounts of soluble moly act as a FM agent. Larger amounts of soluble moly, 300 or more, act as an anti wear agent. This was told to me by a Mobil 1 rep. Also, there is a thread on here, a few months back, that discusses different types of moly and their use. A Mobil 1 engineer came on and spoke of different moly types and amounts. It would be good to search for that thread.

As far as noticing any difference in fuel economy or power with "thicker" HM oils, no worry. I run Mobil 1 15W-50 in two current vehicles that spec 5W-30. Both get better, one much better, than EPA estimates, start before you can release the key, and there is certainly no reduction in power output. I have driven identical vehicles(friends and neighbors that let me drive their vehicles and I let them drive mine to demonstrate this point) and not only no loss in power but I think some of the smaller engines, I4 and V6 actually show more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back