Hitachi C10FSH Miter saw

I found a used Hitachi C10FSH for under $300. Other than cracked handles, what else should I be looking for that might be a red flag before I buy it. I'm new to buying any type of saws. It’s time to take up a new hobby. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Perfect timing @Gito ! I started looking yesterday and prices are all over the place. Mine will be used for some trim (panelling) work, what about you?

Perfect timing @Gito ! I started looking yesterday and prices are all over the place. Mine will be used for some trim (panelling) work, what about you?
Cabinet and drawer molding. This particular Hitachi model saw is a made in Japan so I'm anxious to hear from those that have used these versions.

Not sure about that model. It's not one of the most popular models.

Check that all the settings and adjustments work properly and the miter lock works. $300 doesn't seem like much of a discount. I have the DeWalt 12 inch sliding miter. Only issue I don't like is that 12 inch blades cost more especially in Canada.

I would find out what type of stands the saw can be used on. If I were looking for a miter saw now, I'd go for a battery powered one.

I have had that saw for about 15 years. Ive used it for all kinds of work, and it has been great. Handle is a bit thin, mine was damaged out of the box from delivery, but it’s barely noticeable.

Id want to be sure that the blade runs smoothly, no wobble or motion, and do a test cut in some thicker/harder stock.

What I hear is that the base/fence to the Japanese made miter saws are machined to very high standards. There are Chinese made Hitachis and Japanese made Hitachi saws.

I don’t have any large Hitachi tools but when I was in Southeast Asia I had a corded and cordless drill, a angle grinder and a circular saw from them. They were Chinese and Japanese built. None of them gave me any trouble and they held up very well.

Sounds like you have a fine tool there.

Take a look at the new ones, keep shopping, many brands. I have the Hitachi 12 inch with the compact sliding mechanism. Very nice and the slider is better than the two bars, more rigid imo.. If you want more precision for small work, try looking at some others with smaller blades like Makita, Fein, Bosch, others. $300 seems very high to me. I paid half that for the Hitachi brand new. A 7 1/4 inch from Lowes etc might be very good for your purposes, and have a bigger one for lumber projects. The 12 inch I have is a bit scary when used on small work. Made in China my Hitachi was precise and well made out of the box. But it's too big, I would probably get a cordless 7 1/4 for small work if I did it again. I think they make them.

Back