Hit a deer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: shrooms
Deers have got to be one of the most stupidest animals. I've seen many deer families have one of their members get smashed. You'd think they'd learned from what happened to Joe, right? Nope, the next time, Fran gets smashed.

No lesson learned.

They see car lights and they freeze; its a defense mechanism

There has to be a way you can buy a $200 ciera even today and move its parts over. The headlight buckets on the aero ones are the same from when they used sealed beams (I'm pretty sure) and many models fit. I had a rebuilt title 92 ciera that had a front fiberglass headlight surround from an 88 or so that came with a hood ornament the 92s lacked. Classy!

Few months back I wound up with a metal shard in my eye (not a proud moment) and the wife drove me into the ER with one eye all tearing up and the other useless without my glasses. They fixed my eye and we're driving home and I see a deer seconds before the wife... so I shout out "Deer" and she brakes, while asking, where?

Another moment I was driving, not in woods but the open on a 2 lane 50 MPH road. Oncoming car stopped, but for no apparent reason, so I slowed too. Thought I saw its headlights "just flicker". Turns out the flicker was deer legs passing in front and it was now in my lane!

Deer are DUMB DUMB DUMB. Changes in weather flush them out of the woods in search of food or tail or something. Some nights I just get a foreboding feeling.

Also remember they travel in packs sometimes, and it's not the first to cross the street that you hit. (So don't let your eyes follow that first one longer than necessary.) Sometimes they're so dumb the later crossers will ram the side door of your stopped car!

UPDATE:

Should i file with insurance? I have geico comp and liability 100$ deductible w/ full glass coverage.. I just would not want them to total it out lol... should i file the glass as one incident, then the deer as another? the glass alone is 300$.....
frown.gif
the jy route for everything will set me back, another $300..

Thanks..

Our first butchering "practice" deer was a road kill victim. It took a full broad side hit which only really wrecked the legs on that side in terms of meat loss.
Anyways a few tips for avoidence are to always slow down if you see one near the road, and slow down if one crosses in front of you as other may follow it as they are herd animals.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Our first butchering "practice" deer was a road kill victim. It took a full broad side hit which only really wrecked the legs on that side in terms of meat loss.
Anyways a few tips for avoidence are to always slow down if you see one near the road, and slow down if one crosses in front of you as other may follow it as they are herd animals.

Yes, deer are like cockroaches. If you see one, there's bound to be more. Slow down!

As a side note, I do realize that deer aren't really scared of cars because they're (we) are not really their natural predators. When I see one while driving that appears to have no fear of a car, I'll lay on the horn and swerve at them, sometimes even driving into the ditch after them (nobody else around) to scare them into fearing traffic. Whether it works or not is up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back