Hit a deer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.. driving along @ 45MPH around 415Am, on a quite highway and this deer ran out from the woods, did not even had time to react and slammed it..She flew like 10Feet up in the air, and i dont know 20 -30 feet down the road..
The ciera.. well, its stil drivable, but im going to need another headlight header, right headlight, marker light, grille, hood, and windshield.. the hood is V'd in the middle and pushed up couple of inches.. the AC radiator fins are dented in a couple of spots, from parts of the car hitting it, and the regular radiator is pushed back a inch on the right, but did not break. The Rt fender is slightly out of alignment because it was a center/right hit. although i don't think ill need to replace it....

Yeah it was a GOOD MORNING
frown.gif
... deer has passed before hitting the ground... Ciera is about totaled.... and its going to set me back hundreds of dollars.
cry.gif

Well, one good thing is you do have more than 1 car to rely on - I remember you bought the Century as a possible replacement for the Ciera if it ever conked out on you, now maybe you can just put it into daily service?

BTW, glad you weren't badly hurt - even if the Ciera is dead, it kept you safe!

Aye, you are ok which is important. Unfortunate about the Deer and your car though. Must have been one heck of a scary experience.

Glad you seems to be ok. My dad (who has never ever lived in the rural part of America), always wished to hit a deer and bring home the meat, until I showed him photos on the Internet.

Last edited:
Glad you are ok! sorry about the ciera, i really like mine. larger car that gets 28-29 highway. some cars its size now don't get that mileage.

Deers have got to be one of the most stupidest animals. I've seen many deer families have one of their members get smashed. You'd think they'd learned from what happened to Joe, right? Nope, the next time, Fran gets smashed.

No lesson learned.

it was about 2am, pitch black, a BMW was next to me, we were going 45, we turn at the bend, and there's a deer lying in the lane that I"m in. it's a 2 lane road, ditch on both sides.
So I'm in my 89 Firebird.
my choice was
go into the ditch,
try to stop,
hit the bmw
OR
hit the deer.

I hit the deer. If it was standing, my car would've been totaled, or worse.. me too.
it was lying in the ground, alive. when I jumped over it, it wasn't alive anymore. a CHP officer swung by a minutes later. I pulled over and walked back to survey.
the cop said it wasn't my fault, someone had already hit it prior and called 911 to report it.
the damage to the car. tranny mount shot.
and the worse.. the frame got bent.
I'd be constantly chewing up front right tires. there was no cure for it, aside from a body shop restraightening it, which wasn't an option.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Deers have got to be one of the most stupidest animals. I've seen many deer families have one of their members get smashed. You'd think they'd learned from what happened to Joe, right? Nope, the next time, Fran gets smashed.

No lesson learned.

LOL!

Yes, they are indeed dumb critters. Around here, they're more like a noxious weed. They'll run in front of and into cars and even trains...

I've hit two so far. One ran in front of me and the other ran right into the side of my car. Man, I was so [censored]!

O/P, good to hear that you're okay!

one question, is peoples ever pick up the deer home after they hit it ? mostly likely they leave it their and call cop/insurance. but I just wonder..

Yes, it happens down here a lot. You have to call parks and wildlife, but generally they'll let you take it once the proper forms are filled out. Some people also want the antlers, if it's a big buck. Again, I don't know what the law is, but as long as you're honest with the game warden something can be worked out.

Better than letting it go to waste, I suppose. I've never hit one myself, but if I did I'd probably call up and see if I couldn't salvage it. Shame to let all that meat go to waste.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
one question, is peoples ever pick up the deer home after they hit it ? mostly likely they leave it their and call cop/insurance. but I just wonder..

You can - it's common practice, but sometimes some or all the meat is not usable. This is because of contamination from dirt or debris (if the deer was ripped open) or even from feces if it's bowels were ruptured.

I was once coming home from a friend's house at night. I was going about 45 mph when I saw a herd? of about 4 deer standing on the side of the road. I slowed down in case they jumped in front of me, but by that time I was pretty close to them. They patiently waited until I was about 10 feet away before one of them decides to jump in front of me. Incredibly stupid animals. I just barely missed it by inches, but another car just happened to be driving past me in the opposite drection at that moment and slammed full force into it. The collision happened literally right outside my open driver's window. I guess the deer survived and ran off. The other car pulled over about a 1/4 mile down the road for a minute and drove off before I had a chance to turn around and see if he was ok.

Actually deer can be very smart when it comes to avoiding predators(like me). I realy think you have to consider that a car is not a natural enemy of any animal and they just dont reason enough to understand what it can do to them.
I have seen deer shot and drop in a field right next to other deer and they just look at it like huh? how come your laying down? Yet if you let them see you they are gone, they see you as a threat.

A friend of mine had a deer jump into his driver side window while he was driving. Part of his antlers got stuck and it beat both of them up pretty good before he could get stopped. Funniest and scariest story I'd ever heard.

I've had deer run out in front of me but the worst was when a black bear ran out in front of me. I was doing around 80MPH and never had a chance to touch the brakes, but I swerved and missed him by a foot or 2. I'd hate to have seen (or felt) what that would have done to my '94 Accord that I was driving at the time.

Good stuff when it is cold out and the deer is not mangled to the point for causing intestinal contamination. We had a pregenant doe get struck out front, wifes dad came up and butchered it. Net was about 60-70 pounds of meat. This was in Jan 11, still have some left.

Glad the OP was not hurt...cars are expendable, people not so much.

Lost count how many I have hit. Most commit suicide. They will look like they are running the opposite then at the last second either dart in front of you or hit the side of your rig. I have hit more by them head-buttin one of my doors. Its the local body shops best business. We even have a hired county guy with a lift that picks up dead deer along roadways every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back