Hilarious PDS for Castrol Edge Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: PDF The third page, typical properties, is the best part. The VI of 10w30 is listed as "OK" Has anyone used the new SN formula of Gold Edge to 15k? It can probably last a long OCI

It has a high TBN so it could probably last that long but Castrol removed the 15K OCI advertising and claims.

you wrote pds in ur title that sucks that castrol doesnt feel confident about 15k , mobil and royal purple will gladly say tat for their top tier products.

This doesn't make sense: According to the Castrol PDS the viscosity is increasing as the temperature increases. See 0w20 increases from 8.6 cst @ 100 degc to 54.4 cst @ 210 degc. Looks like their numbers don't match their units???

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
you wrote pds in ur title that sucks that castrol doesnt feel confident about 15k , mobil and royal purple will gladly say tat for their top tier products.
Yes, PDS = Product Data Sheet, which is what this is. Good God, this PDS is awful!

Yeah, that looks very suspect. They've got actual numbers for some of the grades & some of the tests which makes the lame "OK" stand out all the more. And why would 5w-20 weigh more than half a pound more per gallon? Something's fishy.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. Surely that must have been a draft copy or something. I've never seen Castrol release such a rubbish pds as that before. The pds's on their Australian site don't always have very complete info, but at least they're not full of nonsense like that one. This one is my next (summer) oil change. http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf%5C10608_CASTROL%20EDGE_5W-30%20A3B4_3374731_2011_09.pdf

Despite the pds, how is Castrol Edge w/Titanium? I did a search and really didn't see any posts talking or anyone asking about it. I know Castrol isn't the forums favorite oil company, but surely someone is using it!

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Despite the pds, how is Castrol Edge w/Titanium? I did a search and really didn't see any posts talking or anyone asking about it. I know Castrol isn't the forums favorite oil company, but surely someone is using it!
I'll be running Edge 5W30 A3/B4 over summer. I do my summer change around the end of November, so probably start on it in about 2 weeks. The A3/B4 variety seems fairly thick for a 30 weight, 12/71.8 cSt (at 100/40C) and 3.6 cP HTHS. At this stage I'm planning on running it for about 10k miles. http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf%5C10608_CASTROL%20EDGE_5W-30%20A3B4_3374731_2011_09.pdf

Last edited:
Their change to Edge 0W20 specs when SN came out, and their PDS sheet has me looking for another oil when my stash runs out.

JAG

Castrol's marketing dept. does not inspire confidence in their products. To me, they seem like Castrol only wants to do the bare minimum in their job of making and marketing oils.

Originally Posted By: JAG
To me, they seem like Castrol only wants to do the bare minimum in their job of making and marketing oils.
Well, perhaps I'd adjust that with a minor tweak. They do a great job at marketing their oils to the masses, especially up here in Canada. They do a less impressive job about educating the interested about their oils.

They make fantastic oils, but they seem pretty paranoid about revealing any real information about them. Surely they could publish at least as much info as their competitors without giving up any real secrets.

New advertising tag line: "Castrol: The oil that's OK in so many different ways." What the h---, it's not any worse than "that's thinking with your dipstick".

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, after all, you know that a competitor wouldn't dare test their oils. The competition only relies on the PDS. wink
Yeah I know it's not like they don't all test them all anyway exactly my point they could be more forthcoming on the PDS for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.