Highway Trooper got me doing 88 in a 65 early this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it levels the playing field. A $250 fine isn't going to deter someone making $250,000/yr like it would someone making $25,000/yr.

But $2,500 might.

" Fines are a dominant feature of American life, as certain as death and taxes. In every facet and context, they play some role in regulating behavior and expressing society’s moral reprobation. Perhaps because of that ubiquity, the way we impose fines is taken for granted, as if it were a law of nature that fines exact the same price from every offender, no matter her income. But as this Article has suggested, there is an alternative to the status quo, and it aligns at least as well with our intuitions about justice and the purposes of punishment. As more people awaken to the burden that criminal justice debt imposes on the poor, there may be an opportunity for a larger reconceptualization of financial sanctions. At a minimum, the tariff fine is an aspect of our justice system ripe for experimentation. "

Now every cop that punches number, or any admin, or basically anyone with a terminal gets to know what I make and then judge me for it?

what if I had a good year last year and am losing money this year? Now I have to pay a price for being successful for a limited length of time??

No thanks to that reality.

Now every cop that punches number, or any admin, or basically anyone with a terminal gets to know what I make and then judge me for it?

what if I had a good year last year and am losing money this year? Now I have to pay a price for being successful for a limited length of time??

Yeah, that's not Anerica for sure. I think Germany does that though.

Do you pay taxes?

The state already knows your worth, unless you report dishonestly.

Or you could just try to out run the LEO if you prefer
There is no doubt in my mind that I could out-drive your average LEO.

However, I will pull over if stopped; I have learned how to keep my mouth shut. If succinctness and silence in the interest of avoiding self-incrimination is seen as "non compliance," well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. (With a lawyer present)

Do you pay taxes?

The state already knows your worth, unless you report dishonestly.

There's a difference between sharing it with the IRS and it getting out to where anyone can have it.
They are bound to a minimal security protocol -

You got cops using public records to spy on girlfriends, female cops looking into potential boyfriends, sharing personal data with politicians and friends - it's a complete free for all.

Next thing is registration cost by income, insurance - me selling you my house jacking up the price because I find out easily how much you can afford.

Why not real-time grocery prices, utilities, gasoline - why stop at tickets?

Once you open that door all semblance of fairness in price and costs are out the window.

There's a difference between sharing it with the IRS and it getting out to where anyone can have it.
They are bound to a minimal security protocol -

You got cops using public records to spy on girlfriends, female cops looking into potential boyfriends, sharing personal data with politicians and friends - it's a complete free for all.

Next thing is registration cost by income, insurance - me selling you my house jacking up the price because I find out easily how much you can afford.

Why not real-time grocery prices, utilities, gasoline - why stop at tickets?

Once you open that door all semblance of fairness in price and costs are out the window.

The people from the other countries sure do have some wonky ideas.

All you have to do is inform the officer it is there and ask how he would like to proceed.

And don't open the glovebox unless you ask, even if that's your insurance and reg.

That‘s not even required in Tennessee. There’s no duty to disclose possession of a firearm here.

In some states, however, there is.

That‘s not even required in Tennessee. There’s no duty to disclose possession of a firearm here.

In some states, however, there is.

I did fully expect this reply, but all I would counter with is.. as a courtesy? Unless it truly is a non-issue.

Police will tell you, they are not concerned with valid CCW permit holders firearms. Just the illegal ones.

I did fully expect this reply, but all I would counter with is.. as a courtesy? Unless it truly is a non-issue.

Police will tell you, they are not concerned with valid CCW permit holders firearms. Just the illegal ones.

No permit is required to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle here in Tennessee, either.

Long guns, however, must be unloaded, with either the gun or the ammo, or both, out of reach of the occupants, unless the driver or occupant holds a Handgun Carry Permit. In that case, a long gun may be carried in a vehicle, loaded.

As far as mentioning that I have a gun in the vehicle? No, I don’t inform them of that. I don’t think it’s necessary when I’m stopped on a mere traffic violation. If they ask, then, of course I’ll answer truthfully.

I know that they have, or had, the capability to look up whether you’re an HCP holder. Years ago, before the law was passed that allowed the carry of loaded pistols in vehicles without a permit, I was stopped in a speedtrap town in West Tennessee (Oakland), and the officer remarked, “Mr. Pifer, I noticed that your HCP has lapsed. Are you carrying today?”

I wasn’t carrying. I had not renewed my HCP, and he was going to bust me for carrying a loaded gun if I’d had one in the truck. But I didn’t.

No permit is required to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle here in Tennessee, either.

Long guns, however, must be unloaded, with either the gun or the ammo, or both, out of reach of the occupants, unless the driver or occupant holds a Handgun Carry Permit. In that case, a long gun may be carried in a vehicle, loaded.

As far as mentioning that I have a gun in the vehicle? No, I don’t inform them of that. I don’t think it’s necessary when I’m stopped on a mere traffic violation. If they ask, then, of course I’ll answer truthfully.

I know that they have, or had, the capability to look up whether you’re an HCP holder. Years ago, before the law was passed that allowed the carry of loaded pistols in vehicles without a permit, I was stopped in a speedtrap town in West Tennessee (Oakland), and the officer remarked, “Mr. Pifer, I noticed that your HCP has lapsed. Are you carrying today?”

I wasn’t carrying. I had not renewed my HCP, and he was going to bust me for carrying a loaded gun if I’d had one in the truck. But I didn’t.
Need a permit to carry in Indiana and Illinois, and I know that if you get pulled over dispatch will tell the officer if you have a permit. Conversation usually starts with “Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?”

Or act like a mature adult and speak to the officer.

Whats so bad about having a normal conversation with law enforcement ?
Nothing wrong with that at all, avoided a few tickets that way and drove off with only a warning. I have no doubt that if I had pulled a "name, rank and serial number" routine I would have had gotten tickets in all of these instances.

Nothing wrong with that at all, avoided a few tickets that way and drove off with only a warning. I have no doubt that if I had pulled a "name, rank and serial number" routine I would have had gotten tickets in all of these instances.

"Name and badge number."

Or act like a mature adult and speak to the officer.

Whats so bad about having a normal conversation with law enforcement ?
Agree. Being friendly and cooperative works well in other aspects of life too, like one's job. Best career advice I ever got was my first job in the computer biz. My new manager told me, "There is nothing that will get you fired quicker than being an *** ****". This attitude works well with law enforcement too. In fact, it works well with nearly everyone.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back