Highway Trooper got me doing 88 in a 65 early this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been my experience that if you pull over properly , are polite and respectful, AND don't have a violation record a mile long, you sometimes only get a warning.

Yes, I agree. I have respect for police, they have a hard job, something I do not think many people realize or respect.
The vast majority are good, just like anything in our population, being human, there are some bad, that goes for any occupation.

Anyway, accept what you are doing was wrong, treat the officer with respect for doing his job, be sincere that I regret what you did and will not repeat it and in many cases, like spasm3 wrote above you will get a warning.

I got caught two months ago for taking/riding my motorcycle in the bicycle lane, beach traffic was backed up for 2.5 miles, it was a really hot day, about a half hour of sitting there slowly moving, bike started running funny, like it was going to stall out/overheating.
I decided to take the bicycle lane the rest of the way. So carefully I rode the remainder of the way to the beach, must have passed 100 cars.
Pulled up to the beach and there were the blue lights, turns out someone called the police on me for riding the lane through town.

Anyway, I was sincere, along with my wife respectfully explained what I did and why by that time another officer pulled up in his car. Gave him all my proper paperwork and license. As he was about to walk to his car I asked if I was going to get a ticket, he said, let me run your information and make a decision then. He came back with a written warning and told me next time, pull the bike to the side of the road and shut it down, let it cool off that someone called them about me riding in the bike lane.
I thanked him for his consideration and he complimented me on my (lack of better words) cordial respect/sincere and part of the reason for the warning instead of a ticket.

People, they are just doing what WE pay them to do, enforce the law.

And don’t be a jerk with the cops trying to be evasive with their questions when they are just doing their job.

Jerk = guaranteed ticket and hit to your wallet and EGO.....

Guaranteed MULTIPLE tickets and having as hard a time as possible.. Well, that is what Inwas alluding to with how it is taken if you invoke your rights and try to remain silent.

That is a blank check for law enforcement. It is also an insult (to them) that you do not want to treat them like a person.

"I don't care if it's legal. It's wrong." Comes to mind.

They will say you were being a jerk and non-cooperative by not answering their question of "Is this a good address for you" (if you answer "it's on my license." I would add "sir" but the result would be the same.)

I think both sides have valid points, the police are not there to be your friend, they are there to enforce the laws of the State and make a case against you.

That said, common and professional courtesy (giving rank of retired military, not being a jerk for no reason, pulling over very far, turning car off without being asked, etc) - these things can go a long way, because it is a human being pulling you over, not the T-1000. (Robert Patrick in Terminator 2 was a T-1000. He was the upgraded model. Arnold Schwarzenegger was the T-800 and star of The Terminator.)

I can see both sides.

I too saw plenty of racing.

I always kept it under 90. Always thought there would be that lone State Police that was a renegade...and give out a ticket.

For about three months there was not.

I still feel like as of recently, they are doing more watching and less enforcng

Depends if you get pulled over by a jerk or not.

Also. As to I think Jarlaxe also advocated to remain silent.. I believe it could depend entirely on the situation. If you go that route, you are hiring an attorney and spending the money and letting the attorney handle it in court, and the officer can write whatever they want in the report that you don't get to see until the prosecutor reviews it.

Them: "And what's your address?"
You: "It's on my license, sir."
Them: "Step out of the car, please."

Had that happen before as well.

Them: "Why won't you tell me your address?"
Me: "It is on my license, sir,"
It only gets worse from there.

Games..

Non-compliance.

"Radio 2, roll another unit please."

Non-compliant.

If it is a "warmer" situation
. They routinely write for less.

79 in a 65 when you were going 93, for example.
Do note: I explicitly said to say nothing except to confirm identity and address.

Last edited:
Do note:I explicitly said to say nothing except to confirm identity and address.

So. Are you saying that, when they ask if your address is current or good.. referring to the one on the license.. that you would then say.. "Yes?"

Or would you say.. "I don't answer questions."

Or would you say.. "It's on the license."

Or would you say.. "It's on the license, sir."

What I am saying is that each of these responses is likely to get you a different outcome of your police experience.

It is not all that uncommon for the police to really become agitated with you if you answer their question without answering it, and things can turn for you then, so it is for that reason I would ask which one of those you would say.

And if you say "Yes," they may very well try to be asking you other questions, so what would your next response be.. "I invoke my rights?"

I'm not entirely unfamiliar with what you are talking about, I agree it is best to remain silent, I think we are talking about real world application of this."

"Turn the camera off, sir." Or "Turn the camera off." ...

You could have just as easily been arrested after admitting guilt.

I was taught early - be cordial and keep your mouth shut. Take whatever he writes you and call your lawyer.
FWIW, I've gotten stopped a few times for about 20 over. Like the OP I was polite, admitted that I was "going faster than I should have", had the proper paper work, pulled over right away, etc. In each of those encounters I drove away with a warning. Like I said, FWIW.

So. Are you saying that, when they ask if your address is current or good.. referring to the one on the license.. that you would then say.. "Yes?"

Or would you say.. "I don't answer questions."

Or would you say.. "It's on the license."

Or would you say.. "It's on the license, sir."

What I am saying is that each of these responses is likely to get you a different outcome of your police experience.
"The address on the license is correct."

I can report police as normal, what are you talking about?
I am talking about the loss of reporting police presence via the Waze app on my phone if I am not stationary. I won’t pull over to report, so I stopped using the app.

Maybe it’s just me and my phone, maybe you are special. Either way, I couldn’t report without stopping, so I stopped reporting...and stopped using the app as a result since that was the only reason to fire it up IMHO.

I am talking about the loss of reporting police presence via the Waze app on my phone if I am not stationary. I won’t pull over to report, so I stopped using the app.

Maybe it’s just me and my phone, maybe you are special. Either way, I couldn’t report without stopping, so I stopped reporting...and stopped using the app as a result since that was the only reason to fire it up IMHO.

I think it's just your phone, it doesn't work any different for me?

I think it's just your phone, it doesn't work any different for me?
Could be...if I think about it, I’ll reinstall the app and try again some day.

As it is now, I don’t miss it. It was always a hassle to make the reports without swerving into adjacent lanes, not to mention it’s now illegal in this state to do that sort of thing (fiddle with phone while driving).

If it’s accuracy could be counted on, I might assign more importance to figuring out the problem and using it again, but the accuracy is nil on back roads and at night, the two driving conditions I most often encounter.

I can pass in a hearbeat. I will double yellow pass when safe.

I used to drive a country road to my work. The driveway to work was on my left, on the only straight spot for miles. I'd go the speed limit there as I was soon to turn.

If there were a car behind me, and you were behind that car, would you pass there? That could lead to t-boning my driver's door.

What about someone pulling out of a driveway and turning right, getting hit head-on by someone passing going well over the limit and no options for swerving?

The double-yellow is sacrosanct.

Do you use your turn signals.? Do they work.

I never see double yellow for private driveways and almost never for business unless they have a turn lane.
Rod

I used to drive a country road to my work. The driveway to work was on my left, on the only straight spot for miles. I'd go the speed limit there as I was soon to turn.

If there were a car behind me, and you were behind that car, would you pass there? That could lead to t-boning my driver's door.

What about someone pulling out of a driveway and turning right, getting hit head-on by someone passing going well over the limit and no options for swerving?

The double-yellow is sacrosanct.
I won’t say passing on a double yellow is the smartest thing to do, but there are plenty of roads around me that are straighter than a razor blade and flatter than granite surface plate with great visibility that have double yellows for no reason.

I won’t say passing on a double yellow is the smartest thing to do, but there are plenty of roads around me that are straighter than a razor blade and flatter than granite surface plate with great visibility that have double yellows for no reason.

Are they one way roads?

No, just county roads.

The official name for those, at least here in Texas, is Farm to Market roads. If they have shoulders, they are called Ranch to Market roads, but in reality there is little difference between the two - both are little more than paved cattle trails with colored stripes down the middle and dead animals along both sides.

Just passed some vehicle stopped on other side of highway. Five police cars.. and a police van (have not seen that before.) Looked like a white or silver-ish maybe Late 90s Camry as I only glanced over. Many cops behind it, off to passenger rear.

My guess is the car was (most likely.) Speeding, got caught, and either driver had a warrant or something wrong with the car, who knows maybe they were searching for a gun in the car but rare anymore do I actually see traffic stops. It used to be a regular thing.

It is possible I just do not drive past many enforcement stops (tickets? Arrests? The latter can usually be avoided. Sometimes, even the first. So, also, can the stop..) It is also possible there are less stops being made. Either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back