higher/lower viscosity then required Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I did a brief search and couldnt find a thread like this. If there is one please me to it.

Alright, what im wondering is what are the advantages/disadvantages of running a higher or lower viscosity oil then what is called for in the manual?

For ease of discussion lets say a 10w-30 is called for.

I know this will change by engine design. So if you could give a scenario where a higher/lower viscosity would be better in a certain type of engine please do.

Also, Ive heard about gas mileage changes with different weights being used. By what magnitude are we talking. Lets say whatever style engine we are talking about gets 25MPG with the speced 10w-30.

How is the barrier film strength effected by weight changes?

Lets assume, for discussion purposes, that the oil composition, other then vis improvers, is the same no matter what the weight.

How does the cold "w" rating affect startup protection. Do any of th weights tend to "cling" more then others, or is that affected by the additives only?

Will the pressure change caused by different weights harm the engine? If so to what extreme are we talking, in terms of pressure increase/decrease?

I look forward to the excellent discussion that will ensue.

Thanks
-Brien

change search settings... this has been discusses MANY times. Change how far back in time you want to search the archives.

Also look at viscosity and CAFE as a search string.

JMH

Brien, Dr. A E Hass has a number of very informative posts on viscosity and its effects. I can't direct you to a specific thread but you might try in the technical section. FWIW----- Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back