High zinc 10W-30

It's been awhile since I've needed an oil with higher zinc, so not sure where to turn as formulations seem to change all the time.

Not looking for a racing oil, as they seem to have no detergents, and need very frequent changing per my analysis in the past. Looking for a simple off the shelf 10w-30 synthetic, that has a fairly higher zinc rating.

Thanks!

Unless you have a very old automobile you do not need a high level of ZDDP as modern engine oils have other anti-wear chemistry within them.

What is your application, that is, what vehicle, year, and engine?

You're going to want something most likely in the HDEO range, Chevron Delo XLE 10w30, Rotella T4 & T5 comes to mind. I really like the Delo as it's rated for both gas & diesel engines, Shell does not have the gasoline rating for their Rotella oil, the general consensus is that it will meet the older ratings just not the newest ones so they won't even list those as they are outdated specs.

You could try something in a HM oil too, Castrol GTX HM is supposed to be pretty good with lots of ZDDP.

A semi-synthetic 10w-30 HDEO would do what you want.
Rotella T5 10w-30 would be a great example.

Unless you have a very old automobile you do not need a high level of ZDDP as modern engine oils have other anti-wear chemistry within them.

Exactly. Flat tappet camshafts with elevated valve spring pressures need Zinc as a sacrificial additive. Most '60s cars can just use a good 10w30. I have used Shell Rotella T 15w40 in my Vette and Oldsey, but I understand the good stuff is no longer available. Both have pretty stock valve trains. Going forward, I will use more of a specialty oil. Both engines are original to the car. If I ever pull 'em apart again, I will stab a hydraulic roller and run modern oils.

4g63 Turbo. Stock motor, but upgraded turbo. 400hp

This was from many years ago

Haven’t touched the car till recently, so not in the loop with current oil tech, etc.

I don't think you need lots of Zinc at all. Castrol Edge 0w40, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 (or the Pennzoil equivalent) or Mobil1 0w40 would all serve you well.

If you are in the US then maybe even look at Shell Rotella T6 15w40 assuming you're not trying to start it from cold below -15°c or so.

Vanilla Valvoline VR1 10W-30 is great, it has 1300ppm of ZDDP and is really ideal for older pushrod flat tappet V8s from the 60s,70s and 80s that spec 10W-30, there are two versions of VR1, the True racing oil with barely or no detergents, Valvoline don't recommend running it for more han 500 miles, the regular VR1 which is the most common has plenty of detergents and can be used for a street car without a problem.
If your engine has a roller cam/s there is no need for lots of Zinc though.

It's been awhile since I've needed an oil with higher zinc, so not sure where to turn as formulations seem to change all the time.

Not looking for a racing oil, as they seem to have no detergents, and need very frequent changing per my analysis in the past. Looking for a simple off the shelf 10w-30 synthetic, that has a fairly higher zinc rating.

Thanks!
There is really nothing off the shelf out readily available out there. I would get a good low detergent oil ( NOT a long life Euro- spec oil )
and buy some wear-in additive from the cam manufacturers Lunati. The other option is to buy the race oil and run it 1/2 - 1/2 with a good synthetic oil. Then you have the REDLINE and other Race and specialty manufacturers.
Another option, if you want to run a 10W40, is Motorcycle/Superbike oil that is usually API-SF/SG or SH rated due to the high ZDDP, but then you may likely sacrifice some Moly which is you OTHER source of scuffing and fretting protection due to wet clutch compatibility on shared sump Motorbikes. M1 4T racing used to be one of the best PAO "street" racing oils but after the reformulation over a decade ago - I didn't like it. It may have gone through another reform since.
You are NOT going to subject you engine to the torture tests like the dyno loading in you supporting article. Fresh PCMO oil causes MORE wear due to the high detergency that fights for surface space with the antiwear compounds. I would think new formulations would have solved this issue. There may be a white paper out there from Lubrizol or Inifinium on this subject. "Beating on" susceptible NEW parts - that are not worn in - running fresh long life PCMO is a known recipe for disaster.

HTH - Ken

Valvoline Advanced increased Zinc levels from 830ppm to 940ppm, unless it's a mistake on their PI sheet. This is kind of opposite of what other oils have been doing lately. I know it's not a ton but could help one sleep better.

4g63 Turbo. Stock motor, but upgraded turbo. 400hp

This was from many years ago

Haven’t touched the car till recently, so not in the loop with current oil tech, etc.

Stock valvetrain means you have absolutely no need for higher ZDDP levels and may not even need to bump up viscosity depending on how good the bottom end is in that engine. A Euro 0w-40 or 5w-40 is probably more than sufficient if you want that "extra cushion" but a robust 5w-30 like Redline or 10w-30 like AMSOIL's Dominator would also be a safe bet.

If this is not a flat tappet engine, my understanding is you do not need high elevated Zinc level.
I am mare familiar with older American engines... Good luck.

You're going to want something most likely in the HDEO range, Chevron Delo XLE 10w30, Rotella T4 & T5 comes to mind. I really like the Delo as it's rated for both gas & diesel engines, Shell does not have the gasoline rating for their Rotella oil, the general consensus is that it will meet the older ratings just not the newest ones so they won't even list those as they are outdated specs.

You could try something in a HM oil too, Castrol GTX HM is supposed to be pretty good with lots of ZDDP.
API used to let the above threshold levels of phosphorous slide on mixed-fleet oils but starting with SN they phased out the exception for dual rated HDEOs, in order to meet SN or later an HDEO has the same limits as a PCMO. That being said even though Rotella no longer carries a rating for spark iginition it should be roughly the same levels of additives from the time frame when it used to carry CJ-4/SM dual rating, and if you're using it in something really old with no catalytic converter then it really doesn't matter.

Valvoline Advanced increased Zinc levels from 830ppm to 940ppm, unless it's a mistake on their PI sheet. This is kind of opposite of what other oils have been doing lately. I know it's not a ton but could help one sleep better.
I just looked at the PDS, It think its correct. Looks like they are targeting the PHOS max limit that many formulators have backed safely away from.

But 0.09% treat rate isn't a classic 0.15%.

This compound is "used up" as required and That high starting PPM is only available "in the bottle". Could soon be easily 1/2 that - as an available active compound - in a couple months time in a hard driven car.

Thanks!

Royal Purple HPS 10-30...has to be the HPS, the API stuff has lower levels of Z & P
I ran the 5-30 version to 9K in the Wife's Armada, UOA said it could go to 11K

Back