High speed driving

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?

Don't think so.

However the manual for my 2015 says something to the affect of, "a thicker oil may be required for towing, mountainous terrain or sustained high speeds" which seems to indicate that going up a grade is ok.

I read a serious engineering article a few years ago that estimated 5,000 miles of highway driving was roughly equal in wear and tear to 800 miles of stop/go city driving.

So keep on truckin'.

And if you feel the juice, join a convoy. Just keep a look out for the long haired hippies in a chartreuse microbus. And to preclude the questions, yes, that's Kris Kristofferson. And Sam Peckinpah...

s-l501.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think so.

However the manual for my 2015 says something to the affect of, "a thicker oil may be required for towing, mountainous terrain or sustained high speeds" which seems to indicate that going up a grade is ok.
The 2007 still spec'd 30 grade so you shouldn't need anything thicker, and technically within the original guidelines there isn't any thicker oil you can put in it since it has to be ILSAC oil, although since the warranty is up and it doesn't matter what exactly you put in there Mobil1 0w40 may be a good choice.

I have a 2007 v6 4runner with 150k miles. I drive 80mph on the highway daily for about 50 miles a day. Can driving at this high of a speed be detrimental? If so, what do I need to pay attention to?
I hope not because I regularly do that and have even been guilty of 90-100mph at times.

No! In fact imo it is probably the best conditions to run an engine under. My only concern would be having good tires, brakes, suspension, and front end.

80 mph is not fast. That's only around 4,000 RPM in most modern engines.

Just me but I don't think "most" vehicles are at 4k RMP at 80mph highway cruising. Using my sig, the F150 and Outback are both under 3k RPM at 80mph cruising.

OP a largely highway 50 mile commute is heaven for your truck. There is "mileage" like your highway commute and then there is MILEAGE! The latter being of concern. Examples, repeated congested city driving, severe dusty conditions, frequent short trips, etc...

The road lol.

As others said, tires, brakes, suspension. As long as your cooling system is in good shape, belts and hoses, no issues.

True high speed driving, where you are full throttle much of the time, is definitely hard on the vehicle. Cruising at 80mph, your throttle barely cracked, is about as easy on a vehicle as can be.

Back