high silicone levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, let me say I am a novice at oil and filter analysis. But upon reviewing these sections in this web, I have noticed that LS1 engines tend to have elevated silicone in both the oil and air filter sections. I have been researching this to try to decide what might be contributing to this. Now my theory: The LS1 engine utilized hypereutectic pistons in the engine. These pistons have a high silicone level. Could this be contributing in any way to silicone levels in oil analysis, or am I way off base and should bo back to the drawing board. I am interested in this because I run and LS1 engine.

My son's 3.4 Pontiac has had silicon of 59 and 51. I think its somewhat typical of GM's. I understand it goes down over a period of time. My understanding is that it is due to antisieze and gasket material. If it goes down over a period of time, perhaps your theory may not be correct. Not really knocking your theory-just saying what I have heard.

Are not those LS1 engines the same ones that are notorious for piston slap also?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 2001ssde:
First of all, let me say I am a novice at oil and filter analysis. But upon reviewing these sections in this web, I have noticed that LS1 engines tend to have elevated silicone in both the oil and air filter sections. I have been researching this to try to decide what might be contributing to this. Now my theory: The LS1 engine utilized hypereutectic pistons in the engine. These pistons have a high silicone level. Could this be contributing in any way to silicone levels in oil analysis, or am I way off base and should bo back to the drawing board. I am interested in this because I run and LS1 engine.

Look at Dragboats post in the lawnmower section of this site. It is not the first time he has mentioned this about how Hyper pistons are made. He also posted in detail somewhere else on this site about the Si levels in oil. Maybe the labs and tribologists are behind the times
shocked.gif

Not all of the labs or Analyists are behind the times regarding sources of silicone and high speed lightweight pistons and others. Some stay ahead or I'd be out of business.

wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Darn Geocities!
frown.gif

you might want to invest a one time charge of $11.00 for a site that will not charge you again and is totally free there after and does not put any ad's on your site. Not only that, but if you do that, they will send us a refferal bonus so that indirectly helps support our free site. Check it out, I thought it was a great basic web site with no monthly/yearly fees. Hard to find this kind of deal. Here is the link.. Free Web service with No ad's.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I believe the LS1 has a compsite manifold as well.
dunno.gif

That is true, however, unlike a normal SBC the intake manifold on the LS1 does not come into contact with any engine oil what so ever.

quote:

Originally posted by Soma07:

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I believe the LS1 has a compsite manifold as well.
dunno.gif

That is true, however, unlike a normal SBC the intake manifold on the LS1 does not come into contact with any engine oil what so ever.

Yes but there will be some blowby past the rings allowing particles to enter in the same fashion that silicon (dirt) from the air get in the oil. That's what I meant actually. I didn't even know oil contacted the intake on the original SBC.

"composite, high silicone" Oh great, they are using glass to reinforce the phenolic plastic. I guess its ok as long as there is no "fitting" of the manifold or abrasion of it internally. RW

I know why my link didn't work. I initially typed it in wrong but then fixed it, but for some reason it was still messed up so I re-edited it correctly. Try again folks.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back