High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner

After ~2800 miles on Havoline Lifelong 0W20, the vehicle was over a quart low on oil. This amount of consumption is "average" for this particular vehicle. I added 1 qt of HPL Engine Cleaner and added some PP 0W20 to top off the oil to full.

After driving 1800 miles with the HPL Engine Cleaner, the oil level has only dropped 1/4 qt. So, I am happy to report that HPL's Engine Cleaner appears to have some efficacy.

I will probably change the oil in the next 500 miles and cut open the filter for review.

Last edited:
20K of 2K synthetic OCI's didn't to much to help clean that up. It reminds me of my 2000 Century run on dino oil and meticulously maintained since new. The Buick had no sludge but tons of varnish.
It sure didn’t. I had pulled the same valve cover after buying it the year prior, didn’t take pics but that’s pretty much how it looked then.

If I wanted to run the cleaner with Mobil 0W-40 or Pennzoil 0W-40, should I go with the SAE 30 or SAE 40 variant?

The SAE 30 is right on the border between a 20 and 30 grade. (KV100 = ~9.3 cSt) The SAE 40 is right at the border between a 40 and 50 grade. (KV100 = ~16.0 cSt).

Mixing the SAE 30 at a 20% concentration with M1 0W-40 will drop the viscosity from ~12.8 cSt to ~11.9 cSt, making the final blend a 30 grade.

Mixing the SAE 40 at 20% with M1 0W-40 will increase the viscosity from ~12.8 cSt to ~13.4 cSt, making it a slightly more viscous 40 grade.

The SAE 30 is right on the border between a 20 and 30 grade. (KV100 = ~9.3 cSt) The SAE 40 is right at the border between a 40 and 50 grade. (KV100 = ~16.0 cSt).

Mixing the SAE 30 at a 20% concentration with M1 0W-40 will drop the viscosity from ~12.8 cSt to ~11.9 cSt, making the final blend a 30 grade.

Mixing the SAE 40 at 20% with M1 0W-40 will increase the viscosity from ~12.8 cSt to ~13.4 cSt, making it a slightly more viscous 40 grade.
I ran the 30 in my Sportwagen so 5 qts 40 to 1 qt 30 EC. In my W8 I ran 7 qts 40 to 2 qts 30 EC. Probably should have used the 40 EC.

I ran the 30 in my Sportwagen so 5 qts 40 to 1 qt 30 EC. In my W8 I ran 7 qts 40 to 2 qts 30 EC. Probably should have used the 40 EC.
VW Golf Sportwagen
Sportwagen.jpg

Passat W8 wagon
Passat.jpg

Attachments

• Passat.jpg
    Passat.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 6
Well, I guess I am a customer now. Picking up a new to me 2013 Lincoln MKZ this week. Normally I throw in Rislone HM Engine Treatment on a used purchase, but trying this. The only thing is not sure if I'm doing it this Fall or not, the dealer (a friend of mine) is changing the oil of course and I wanna see what I have first as a baseline. But I might change very early and throw this in for a 1000 mile OCI before the Winter change. We'll see.....
20220914_132508.jpg

Well, I guess I am a customer now. Picking up a new to me 2013 Lincoln MKZ this week. Normally I throw in Rislone HM Engine Treatment on a used purchase, but trying this. The only thing is not sure if I'm doing it this Fall or not, the dealer (a friend of mine) is changing the oil of course and I wanna see what I have first as a baseline. But I might change very early and throw this in for a 1000 mile OCI before the Winter change. We'll see.....
View attachment 117020
I would run it for a full oci or at least 3k miles. Have it in 3 vehicles and all are going there normal 5k mile oci, changing the oil filters every 1500 miles. If you look thru some posts you will find others running it longer as well. Congrats on the new car, love Lincoln's

"@High Performance Lubricants"
Out of curiosity if you changed your oil regularly but decide to use the EC do you have to replace the filter often?

For instance, we did ~5k mile oil changes mostly with my wife's '14 CR-V up to 100k. After, a few may have been close to 7500. All changes were done with M1 AFE or EP with the exception of this last one witk Kirkland. Would it be OK to use the same filter throughout the OC interval? Her car has 130k on it now.

How about my '18 Legacy which had the first few oil changes done at 6 months as opposed to 6k because of warranty? The last few have been 6k miles. This car has 38k miles on it now.

Or my '19 Impreza? Car has 14k miles and every oil change has been 3k or less with some being as low as 1200 miles (every 6 months).

The reason I ask is I would hate the blow through filters if not needed. I understand if there is a lot of buildup, sludge, etc... but I feel I have kept up with a lot of the maintenance in this car where those factors should be minimal.

I think you discussed that the esters in EC are fully compatible with modern seals. While I realize that cleaning is their primary purpose, is it possible or probable that these esters may offer some conditioning benefit along the lines of a high mileage oil?

Out of curiosity if you changed your oil regularly but decide to use the EC do you have to replace the filter often?

For instance, we did ~5k mile oil changes mostly with my wife's '14 CR-V up to 100k. After, a few may have been close to 7500. All changes were done with M1 AFE or EP with the exception of this last one witk Kirkland. Would it be OK to use the same filter throughout the OC interval? Her car has 130k on it now.

How about my '18 Legacy which had the first few oil changes done at 6 months as opposed to 6k because of warranty? The last few have been 6k miles. This car has 38k miles on it now.

Or my '19 Impreza? Car has 14k miles and every oil change has been 3k or less with some being as low as 1200 miles (every 6 months).

The reason I ask is I would hate the blow through filters if not needed. I understand if there is a lot of buildup, sludge, etc... but I feel I have kept up with a lot of the maintenance in this car where those factors should be minimal.
Sorry, I did not see this till now. The reason to change the filter more frequently is strictly related to removing the trash from a dirty system. We have no way of knowing for sure what is in that engine. Even in the case of Wayne’s Durango which was properly maintained there were deposits left behind by a “meets the spec” oil. Wayne also had good sample data. The thing to keep in mind is that a UOA DOES NOT tell you what the oil leaves behind. It only tells you what is circulating at the time the sample is taken. If you cut open your filters and find that they are clean you could easily run it out further.

I think you discussed that the esters in EC are fully compatible with modern seals. While I realize that cleaning is their primary purpose, is it possible or probable that these esters may offer some conditioning benefit along the lines of a high mileage oil?
The esters do provide seal conditioning. We have seen instances where there are leaks that stop due to that fact. I would hesitate to make claims that the product stops leaks though because there are so many variables. Just because a leak stops on a few occasions it would be likely that all of the conditions aligned for that to happen. It is definitely beneficial for the elastomers.

Back