High mileage vs synthetic in mower equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antonmnster

The moral of the story is: change the oil once a year and most OPE will outlive you.

Bingo, and keep it full.

I've seen engines that run perfect and the owner never changed the oil, just added some when low. I've worked on power equipment on the side for 13 years now. I've never seen a blown engine from nasty original oil. The engine failures I've seen have only been from no oil, low oil, or over revving.

"Do you go with conventional 10w-30 and change every 20 hours OR
Pick a good syn 10w-30 and run 40 hours between changes"

Neither. Go with a diesel rated HDEO (15W40 Rotella, Delo etc.) and change every 100 hours or per manufacturers recommendation.

I run a 6.5K Kubota diesel generator and change the oil every 150 hours. Which is likely too often considering it's in a clean environment, maxes out at 1800 rpm and is liquid cooled. New specifications for the same/similar engines recommends 500 hour oil changes in a generator application.

By the way, the diesel has over 6000 hours on it and is 34 years old. It's seen nothing but conventional HDEO all of it's life and doesn't use a drop of oil. I did it's first valve adjustment appprox. eight years ago. Only one valve was slightly over recommended tolerance.

Other than regular oil/filter changes, changing one fan belt, one fuel filter, one battery, a valve adjustment and a coolant change, it's required no other service. Can't go wrong with a Kubota diesel.

Seems the more seasoned participants here know that novices overthink/overprotect small engines when it comes to oil maintenance. If economics have no bearing, go ahead, buy the expensive designer oils and indulge your unfounded fears. I personally would rather spend half to two thirds less on the oil and spend the savings on a nice meal or some other satisfying indulgence knowing full well that conventional HDEO will provide all the protection my equipment needs and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back