High mileage on Ford EcoBoost 2.0

I hope so. I have a newer Ford Maverick and I'm wondering if I should keep it past the factory warranty.

not the ones from around 2018..many of us in my company have 2018 Edges with 2.0 turbo for company cars...most of us have replaced the motor due to coolant ingestion..many others with the Escape and the 1.5 have also replaced motors.

Mine went at 70K, which seems to be about average...Supposedly the replacement motor was of the newer design so coolant ingestion / HG failure is supposed to be fixed... If I actually owned the vehicle and had to pay the $8K out of pocket for a new motor I'd be a little angry..

Ive seen several at that mileage. Just keep the oil changed. I have 139,000 on my 3 cyl. 1.5l ecoboost...engine runs great but transmission is another story!

not the ones from around 2018..many of us in my company have 2018 Edges with 2.0 turbo for company cars...most of us have replaced the motor due to coolant ingestion..many others with the Escape and the 1.5 have also replaced motors.

Mine went at 70K, which seems to be about average...Supposedly the replacement motor was of the newer design so coolant ingestion / HG failure is supposed to be fixed... If I actually owned the vehicle and had to pay the $8K out of pocket for a new motor I'd be a little angry..

Well, that doesn't fill be with confidence about my wife's 2017 Escape. I assume if its ingesting coolant, that would be something you can see on an oil report?

Currently only at 30K

Well, that doesn't fill be with confidence about my wife's 2017 Escape. I assume if its ingesting coolant, that would be something you can see on an oil report?

Currently only at 30K
mine went from fine to complete failure in a few weeks...no problems to running rough, check engine light on and coolant level in tank dropping a few inches at first to the tank showing empty at one point. Let it cool, remove the rad/tank cap and it would refill itself. Funny to watch. It seems (with mine, at least) that by the time it was discovered the damage was done.

mine went from fine to complete failure in a few weeks...no problems to running rough, check engine light on and coolant level in tank dropping a few inches at first to the tank showing empty at one point. Let it cool, remove the rad/tank cap and it would refill itself. Funny to watch. It seems (with mine, at least) that by the time it was discovered the damage was done.

Honestly I'm tempted to trade it in or sell it. When I first heard of the issue I thought it was limited to the 1.5l engines, not the 2.0

Now, it feels like I own a car that could just need a $10K repair job at any time. Might be a better deal to just trade it in on something else

While it is a real thing it’s far from a certainty. We have 3 of the “dreaded EcoBoosts” in the family at 127k, 144k and 151k all with no problems.

You’ll take a bath trading, if it really bothers you that much buy an extended warranty and forget about it.

While it is a real thing it’s far from a certainty. We have 3 of the “dreaded EcoBoosts” in the family at 127k, 144k and 151k all with no problems.

You’ll take a bath trading, if it really bothers you that much buy an extended warranty and forget about it.

The ones in your signature? Those are not included in this issue though. Based on what I've read, this is pretty bad on the 2017-2020 1.5 and 2.0's

Carvana will give me over $18K for the car. So I guess I have to decide if its worth it to spend the $20K~ different to a brand new car.

While $8K or whatever a new engine costs is cheaper, for an extra $14K I could have then had a new car. Can't decided if its worth the difference or not

The ones in your signature? Those are not included in this issue though. Based on what I've read, this is pretty bad on the 2017-2020 1.5 and 2.0's
No, my kids have older ones. A 13 and 14 Fusion and a 14 Escape. Also a 17 Escape but it’s only 73k so I didn’t initially mention it.

I think the 13 and 14's should all be good, its that 17 to worry about

I'm tempted to try and get a new EV. If Carvana give me $18K, the Government gives me $7.5K for the EV tax credit I can get a brand new Tesla Model 3 for ~$12K

Knock off $8K for a new engine, and in reality it only cost me $4K. Not sure how valid my math is, but it makes sense in my head

I'm not a huge Tesla guy, though

Sorry for essentially hyjacking this thread, but I just found out I can buy a Ford Protect ESP extended warranty for an additional 5 years to cover the powertrain for $980. To cover the entire car bumper to bumper for 6 years, its $1500

I will purchase one first thing tomorrow morning and schedule the inspection (Looks like they come to you for the inspection)

We are happy with the car apart from the engine that might grenade at any point, so I think this would be a good purchase instead of buying a new car

Honestly then if the engine does grenade in 2 years time or whatever, I'll be rocking a 0 mile engine for free

Sorry for essentially hyjacking this thread, but I just found out I can buy a Ford Protect ESP extended warranty for an additional 5 years to cover the powertrain for $980. To cover the entire car bumper to bumper for 6 years, its $1500

I will purchase one first thing tomorrow morning and schedule the inspection (Looks like they come to you for the inspection)

We are happy with the car apart from the engine that might grenade at any point, so I think this would be a good purchase instead of buying a new car

Honestly then if the engine does grenade in 2 years time or whatever, I'll be rocking a 0 mile engine for free
cool, glad you came up with a solution that will work! My Edge with the 2.0 is pretty quick, I bet putting that same motor in an Escape makes it a rocket!

Well, I traded it in. Thanks @iahawk

Got a decent price, made it Ford's problem again

I don't think this one will get coolant into the cylinders any time soon

1694182258394.jpeg

Back