high mileage oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read most of the threads on high mileage oils here and I was wondering of anyone is currently using any of them (i.e. Castrol high mileage/pennzoil high mileage etc.) At wallmart you can get 5 quart jugs of castrol high mileage for 10.28 (regular castrol for 6.88) Is there really much difference between the two? I know that the high milage oils do not have the "energy conserving oil" on them (10W-30) so will your gas mileage change? Any info?
Thanks

I am currently using Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30 in my Thunderbird. My gas mileage didn't change and the car runs great.

I think I may switch to Delvac 1 though.

Lots of good info is out there by using the search feature. I just posted my own topic, then later found a bunch more info by searching, on the recommendation of another person here. Use the search words "high mileage", "maxlife", etc. I only noticed high mileage oils at the auto parts stores in the past 6 months, but posts go way back over a year, I didn't realize high mileage oils were around that long!

Regarding your gas mileage question, I haven't noticed any difference since starting to use MaxLife. However, the last oil change on my Hyundai, I changed from 10w-30 to 20w-50 (both times MaxLife) and saw a 3mpg drop with the 20w-50.

[ June 01, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: timzak ]

When Valvoline came out with their Max-Life, it contained a good dose of molybdenum (then, a rarity among the mass-market brands) as well as an ester (5%, 10, 15%, or so) to act as a seal conditioner. These were the main differences between these and "normal" oils.

Because of the ester content, they could also claims easier low-temp starting ability with this oil. This is compensated for in other oils be using a thicker base stock.

Quickly, Pennzoil and Quaker State followed with their own formulas.

Then Valvoline took the moly out of Max-Life just as it was becoming common in most automotive oils.
rolleyes.gif

Johnny, who works for Pennzoil, also said that the Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle oil was also formulated on the thick side of the printed weight. This is in addition to the moly (~80PPM) and the ester seal conditioners. I know this stuff is significantly darker than regular Pennzoil right out of the bottle.

Bogatyr was using Max-Life in my old Integra but didn't care for the newer version of the stuff. Upon my recommendation, he switched to Pennzoil HMV and liked it better.

--- Bror Jace

I noticed something about the pennzoil high mileage oil, it says that it is "SL" rated oil, but why isn't there the familiar round API oil circle on the bottle? Kind of weird.

"I noticed something about the pennzoil high mileage oil, it says that it is "SL" rated oil, but why isn't there the familiar round API oil circle on the bottle? Kind of weird."

I wouldn't let that bother you. The API is not solely concerned with protecting your motor. They are a bunch of bureaucrats and they are at least as concerned with pleasing their friends at the EPA than they are with engine protection.
rolleyes.gif

The Pennzoil has too strong an additive package and may be a bit too thick to get that sissy "API Starburst" symbol.

The API likes thin, thin oils with little additives which they think will be better for the average emissions system in the long run.
thumbsdown.gif

If these gutless cowards wanted to be actually useful, they could at least come up with a technical definition for the word "synthetic."
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

I run the 10W-30 Maxlife SL in my Camaro. I sent off a sample for analysis last week and will have results this week so stay posted. I like it better than Mobil 1, its actually thick enough to keep my engine silent as a luxury car, and the oil pressure is always predictable and steady. I like a lot of things about it, but I'll save my praise for the analysis post since I have a feeling it will be very good.

I know most people don't like Valvoline here, but I've always had good luck with it and prefer the maxlife to the durablend and conventional. 5qt jug = $9.35

I forgot to mention I only have 13,000 on my Camaro as well, and Valvoline approves their maxlife for use in new engines too.

[ June 02, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Dominic ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back