High mileage oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but an old truck with a worn out 350 that "fouls plugs" would get no more than 10w40 dino from me. I might opt for some 10w40 maxlife or 15w40 Rotella based on the fact that it has a flat tappet camshaft. I see no need for synthetic in that old worn out engine...

I agree 100%. I would use the cheapest HM oil I could find, preferrably in 10-40 or 20-50 weight, and call it a day.

Last edited:
I used Penz HM 10w30 in my daughter's 94 Maxima. She had a minor wreck and went almost a year w/out checking the oil because she couldn't get the hood open (shudder). About 12k miles. It was only down about a half quart. I strongly doubt if the standard dino she was running before would have performed like that. This experience sold me on it for a higher mileage vehicle.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but an old truck with a worn out 350 that "fouls plugs" would get no more than 10w40 dino from me. I might opt for some 10w40 maxlife or 15w40 Rotella based on the fact that it has a flat tappet camshaft. I see no need for synthetic in that old worn out engine...

Yeah...I totally agree

Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
the reason is that it's supposed to clean really well according to these guys.

If you want to clean that engine, then use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle and 1qt of Rislone substituted for 1qt of engine oil & a WIX filter for 3-4k miles.

That will clean it up pretty good.

I've been running the Mobil hm 10w-40 and wix filter for a week now. Just did a compression test today and all cylinders are good. So the small amount of oil burning is the valve seals. With the prices at shops around here it would cost more for seals and guides in my [censored] smog era heads, so I might just go for some Patriot Vortecs. Plus those 882's won't deliver 400 horsepower :) One cylinder was ten pounds low, which is acceptable, but i'm hoping that it's carbon in the ringpack that'll get worked out with the Mobil, and then eventually Rotella and Engine RX.

I have found in the type of engine you describe, that running a conventional 10W-40 or 15W-40 with the Auto-Rx FIRST, followed by a rinse of 15W-40 provides optimal results. THEN, go to a high mileage oil such as Maxlife 10W-40 or M1 HM 10W-40. The reason I do it in this order is to clean the seals FIRST without swelling or conditioning them with the HM oil, then the HM oil can do it's job better on the seals after the Auto-Rx has helped cleaned them. You can certainly do it the other way around, but this has worked well for me over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back