High Mileage Oil Recommendations

Hello all,

I am looking for an oil that would be best for my '95 4AFE Corolla with 220k miles.

The engine doesn't burn any oil when run with Kendall GT-1 High Mileage oil. However, Valvoline Maxlife disappears at a rate of a quart every 1000 miles. I'm not sure why.

I would like to start doing my own oil changes, and finding Kendall oil individually is very difficult.

What is your recommendation?

I'd look far and wide, and even travel for, some Kendall.
smile.gif

The thought occurred to me: how many OCIs have you done with the Maxlife? If only 1 or 2, then if you continue the leakage may cease shortly. Sometimes when switching, leaks appear only to disappear in a couple of OCIs.

It would be helpful to know what your OCI is....

I've done 2 Maxlife OCs. I didn't see any leakage, I assumed it was burned off.

I've looked for Kendall everywhere! It is available online in 12 quart packs. I don't have the space to store 24 quarts (5W30 for Winter, 10W30 for summer).

OCI has always been 3k miles.

I know AZ carries Kendall here in MN. I am wondering if you could ask them if they could somehow locate the HM version for you. Chances aren't great, but it is worth a shot.

Originally Posted By: Apples555

I've looked for Kendall everywhere! It is available online in 12 quart packs. I don't have the space to store 24 quarts (5W30 for Winter, 10W30 for summer).

In that case, maybe consider using 5w30 year round.

Originally Posted By: Apples555

Run 5w30 year round. Then you need to store only 12 quarts.

My 2009 Town & Country was consuming oil at the rate of one quart per 1000 miles. I had used Pennz Plat, Pennz Ultra and Mobil 1. The last oil change, I used Mobil 1 HM. 5W/30. Usage immediately dropped to one quart in 2000 miles. I topped off with Mobil Super HM. I will continue to monitor to see if consumption continues to be reduced.

My 2005 kia sedona 246kms dropped about a litre ever 1000kms. Instead of High mileage oil(slowed leaking not consumption), or synthetic High mileage oil(never on sale & can't find it in Canada, plus RIDICOULOUSLY expensive), I used a quality full synthetic that was on sale(5w30) and put a Rislone rear main seal stop leak in it. It was cheaper and it worked instantly. I havent put any HM or stop leak in it in two oil changes now both full synth.(12k more km) Now I put about a litre in between oil changes.(6k)

HM oil used previously was 5w30 Valv Max life, 5w30 Mobil HM(synth blend?),5w30 Motomaster HM(POPULAR in house brand made by shell) Valv Max life was the only one rated gf-5

Synthetic in now is 5w30 Motomaster synthetic(shell). Was so cheap I stocked up.

btw did I mention oil is EXPENSIVE in Canada?

I would stick with the Kendall GT-1 if it's been working for you. Amazon has it for $36.70 a 12 quart case and they will bring it to your front door. As to space, I lived in a SMALL apartment in Maryland - Laurel, not far from you - and I stored my oil in either my trunk or my clothes closet. A case of oil won't take too much space at all.

Quote:
Which viscosity was the Maxlife you tried?

I tried 10W30 first then 5W30.

Quote:
In that case, maybe consider using 5w30 year round.

Is this safe to do? The manual calls for both.

A4BCEF68-5A72-4130-B772-BC77FCA55378_zpsw600up08.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. If mjk's idea doesn't work, I'll try a similar oil like Mobil Super HM or Castrol GTX HM for one OC. If it behaves like Maxlife, I'll just get Kendall by the case online.

Is this a sensible approach?

Yes it is safe to run a 5w30 year round. It is the same Vis at operating temp as the 10w30.

Also if you are changing every 3k miles it seems like a waste to track down synthetic Kendall or use M1 HM. Not to mention the car already has 220k miles on it

I would consider a good HM conventional/Semi-syn like Mobil Super HM, Pennzoil HM, or GTX HM and save some money if your going to stick to a 3k mile OCI. This is the most sensible approach IMO.

Last edited:
Castrol or Pennzoil High Mileage is easily found, give one of those a try to see if they are consumed less than Maxlife.

Both are synthetic blends and are excellent choices.

I've been using max life from valvoline for maybe 12yrs or more. Great oil!!

10w30 or 10w40 mostly in cherokee.

Just recently started using the maxlife 10w30 in the Tacoma which before I was using castrol gtx 10w30.

I have really liked Pennzoil HM in my Equinox. Engine runs nicer than it has with M1HM and Maxlife. Maxlife works great in my Malibu. Long story short is try some and see what works best for your car and stick with it.

PHM is conventional

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-high-mileage-vehicle/

Quote:
Pennzoil® High Mileage Vehicle® is a Pennzoil® conventional motor oil that has been enhanced with a unique combination of special conditioning agents and additives to help stop leaks from seals and reduce the oil consumption that is typical of older, worn engines. It’s a motor oil that is specifically designed for new or late model vehicles with over 75,000 miles, to help keep the engines running clean and going strong a long time, month after month and year after year.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Castrol or Pennzoil High Mileage is easily found, give one of those a try to see if they are consumed less than Maxlife.

Both are synthetic blends and are excellent choices.

If you're not going to use Valvoline MaxLife, the next HM oils I'd suggest are Pennzoil HM (PHM) or Mobil Super HM (MSHM). Though if you want synthetic without going Valvoline, you'll pretty much have to go M1 HM or the new Pennzoil Platinum HM. But with your vehicle and a 3k mile oil change interval, I think you'll be perfectly fine going with conventional PHM or MSHM.

My only suggestion would be to use one for 2-3 oil changes because sometimes consumption can occur when first changing oil brands, and then level out after an oil change or two.

If you want to stick with Kendall High Mileage, then ordering online is probably what you'd have to do. http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/ has the best prices online for Kendall oil, and there shipping is reasonable if you're near them. Shipping 1 case of oil to Baltimore will cost you $12.30, but if you wanted to get a better value you could order two cases because the second case will ship for less than $5 more.

If you do order from Petroleum Service Company (PSC), enter coupon code "COMEBACK10" (without the quotes) to get 10% off your order price (not including shipping).

Ordering it online and getting two cases of oil will cost you just over $3.26 a quart after the coupon code and shipping prices are factored in. $3.26/quart is an alright (but not great) price. It's actually pretty decent when you consider they're shipping you six gallons of oil and the weight associated with that. PSC also has very quick shipping, I placed an order with them around 10 o'clock on a Wednesday night, and had the boxes delivered to my house early Friday afternoon.

Back