High Mileage Dino Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is different in a high mileage oil versus a convential motor oil -- such as Chevron Supreme?

Oil thickness mostly. 10w-30 High Mileage is 12 Cst viscosity at 100 degrees C, where as regular 10w-30s are about 10.5. So, 10w-30 high mileage is encrouching upon 40 weight territory. Also, High Mileage oils utilize about 5-10% ester in their base stock for seal swell and a bit more deposit control. I like them; they're a great bargain, especially the Chevron High Mileage, although Advance Auto parts has all the HM brands on sale for around $.30 off.

Patman

Staff member
quote:
Originally posted by mehere: Can somebody explain the theory behind Esters in High Mileage oil?
They are probably put there to provide a bit more cleaning ability and a bit of seal swell (although with such a small % these do very little in that regard)

I also appears that at least the Castrol HM has great TBN reserve or retention . Patmans was still high after I think 8 months of use in his mothers car . They don't thin down as bad as the plain GF-3 oils so I would think a guy would have an overall cleaner engine after some time of use with all this in mind to include a better additive package with more zinc ect . Best of all Castrol and Pennzoil can be found at Walmart for less than 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug . EDIT: I think soon possibly we will see some 5w-20 HM oils on the market [Smile] [ March 03, 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:
Originally posted by Motorbike: I think soon possibly we will see some 5w-20 HM oils on the market [Smile]
Seems if these oils are truly meant for high mileage (i.e., well worn) engines, then 5w20 would be a contradiction, but I think these oils are meant for all cars, from the showroom floor to the junkyard. It is a clever cover, or a happy coincidence, that we can get these oils, which are more like the oils we would be getting if there was no CAFE. [Smile] (However, you still need to go heavy duty motor oil to get the zinc phosphorus levels we should be getting if there were no catalytic converters. [Frown] )

Most of the CI-4 HD Tractor oils have around 1200 ppm of zinc these days though and the next spec might lower it further . These HM oils typicaly have 1100-1200 ppm zinc .

quote:
Originally posted by Motorbike: Most of the CI-4 HD Tractor oils have around 1200 ppm of zinc these days though and the next spec might lower it further . These HM oils typicaly have 1100-1200 ppm zinc .
Yeah, the HMs tend to be a bit higher, but the heavy duty motor oils (diesel rated) are higher yet, say around 1500 ppm. But I am using a HM. Interesting the Tractor oils are dropping in Zinc. I understand the diesel oils will be dropping too. Bottom line is that there are other additives that can take up the slack, but they are more costly, so that's why I am not worried to use a mere HM oil and not a diesel rated oil. But I do stay away from the starburst/energy conserving oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.