High Mileage Dino Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is different in a high mileage oil versus a convential motor oil -- such as Chevron Supreme?

Oil thickness mostly. 10w-30 High Mileage is 12 Cst viscosity at 100 degrees C, where as regular 10w-30s are about 10.5. So, 10w-30 high mileage is encrouching upon 40 weight territory. Also, High Mileage oils utilize about 5-10% ester in their base stock for seal swell and a bit more deposit control. I like them; they're a great bargain, especially the Chevron High Mileage, although Advance Auto parts has all the HM brands on sale for around $.30 off.

quote:

Originally posted by mehere:
Can somebody explain the theory behind Esters in High Mileage oil?

They are probably put there to provide a bit more cleaning ability and a bit of seal swell (although with such a small % these do very little in that regard)

I also appears that at least the Castrol HM has great TBN reserve or retention . Patmans was still high after I think 8 months of use in his mothers car . They don't thin down as bad as the plain GF-3 oils so I would think a guy would have an overall cleaner engine after some time of use with all this in mind to include a better additive package with more zinc ect .

Best of all Castrol and Pennzoil can be found at Walmart for less than 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug .

EDIT:

I think soon possibly we will see some 5w-20 HM oils on the market
smile.gif

[ March 03, 2004, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I think soon possibly we will see some 5w-20 HM oils on the market
smile.gif

Seems if these oils are truly meant for high mileage (i.e., well worn) engines, then 5w20 would be a contradiction, but I think these oils are meant for all cars, from the showroom floor to the junkyard. It is a clever cover, or a happy coincidence, that we can get these oils, which are more like the oils we would be getting if there was no CAFE.
smile.gif
(However, you still need to go heavy duty motor oil to get the zinc phosphorus levels we should be getting if there were no catalytic converters.
frown.gif
)

Most of the CI-4 HD Tractor oils have around 1200 ppm of zinc these days though and the next spec might lower it further .

These HM oils typicaly have 1100-1200 ppm zinc .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Most of the CI-4 HD Tractor oils have around 1200 ppm of zinc these days though and the next spec might lower it further .

These HM oils typicaly have 1100-1200 ppm zinc .

Yeah, the HMs tend to be a bit higher, but the heavy duty motor oils (diesel rated) are higher yet, say around 1500 ppm. But I am using a HM. Interesting the Tractor oils are dropping in Zinc. I understand the diesel oils will be dropping too. Bottom line is that there are other additives that can take up the slack, but they are more costly, so that's why I am not worried to use a mere HM oil and not a diesel rated oil. But I do stay away from the starburst/energy conserving oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back