High Mileage ATF's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone make a "high mileage" automatic transmission fluid (conventional fluid)?; I'd need something that would work in a transmission that uses Dexron II. My vehicle is a 1987 Jeep Cherokee with the AW4 transmission and 219,000 miles on it.

I know that Valvoline does (MaxLife), but I've read some criticism of Valvoline products on this website, so I wanted to know if there are any alternatives.

I'm not sure about using "part synthetic" or "full synthetic" fluids in a transmission that has so much mileage.

Thanks in advance!

With the Dex 11 spec now obsolete I don't think anyone is providing a high mileage version. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can use the Dex 111 or 111-H either. I would sugegst speaking/ emailing Molakule for some advice at Speciality Lubricants.

If the transmission is functioning normally and doesn't have any leaks, use ANY Dexron III.

There is nothing wrong with the Valvoline HM ATF.
Pennzoil also has a HM ATF.

You can use a part/full synthetic ATF with this tranny. But, you'd be better off saving money and just using a regular ATF.

You should also change your ATF filter.

I put the Maxlife Dex III in both my vehicles. Seemed to work fine. My Sentra with over 172,000 has had some version of Dex III the past 100,000. I used the Maxlife when I changed the fluid myself, because a AAMCO shop said my seals were leaking, and needed a $400 repair. That was about 100,000 miles ago. I had it flushed one time at a Meineke. They used Coastal Brand. My mechanic used whatever his supplier gave him. I just bought some Dex III from Advance. Says it is comparable to Valvoline and meets the H specification. I will drain and refill my Sentra in a few weeks. After coming here, I realized many of the high mileage products are more about marketing, than really what is really necessary.

This vehicle is rated for Dex 11, not 111. The Dex 111 is not necessarily backward compatible with the Dex 11.

Again speak to Molakule.

Dexron III replaced Dexron II.
Backwards compatibility is a GM requirement for the spec.

quote:

I'm not sure about using "part synthetic" or "full synthetic" fluids in a transmission that has so much mileage.

Welcome to BITOG.

A high mileage ATF HAS to contain synthethic components.

If your seals are not leaking now, I would not worry, since seal compatibilty is no longer as issue.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Dexron III replaced Dexron II.
Backwards compatibility is a GM requirement for the spec.

Dex 11 is still recommended for a number of vehicles. Must be a reason for this, despite the supposed backward compatibility.

Hi,
I have had great success with Castrol's Transmax Z, a truely great synthetic and longlife ATF

I use it in all my applications requiring a Dexron 2/3 ATF including some manual gearboxes

This is a 4+ years or 400k+ kms fluid when used with UOAs

Regards
Doug

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Dex 11 is still recommended for a number of vehicles. Must be a reason for this, despite the supposed backward compatibility.

I've not seen any Dex II for sale here in the USA for a very long time.

The only case I'm aware of where Dexron-III is not backwardly compatible with Dexron-II is in older Hondas that called for the Dex-II. In that case, either the Honda ATF or Dexron-III plus Lubegard black is best used.

Anyway, a moot point. Dexron-II is not available. GM licenses Dexron ATF makers yearly, and only Dexron-III(H) licenses are being issued to the fluids that pass the Dexron-III(H) test.

Ken

That stuff also meets a "Mercon IV" specification that I've never heard of before.

The Alfa Romeo, Citroen, Pugeot makes either never made it here or stopped being sold here years ago. Suzuki is pretty much a disposable car, and BMW, Porsche, and Benz are likely to get the dealership fluids instead.

I once used Dexron III in a 1991 Mazda transmission that called for Dexron II. Shifted better than it ever did before.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
The only case I'm aware of where Dexron-III is not backwardly compatible with Dexron-II is in older Hondas that called for the Dex-II. In that case, either the Honda ATF or Dexron-III plus Lubegard black is best used.

Anyway, a moot point. Dexron-II is not available. GM licenses Dexron ATF makers yearly, and only Dexron-III(H) licenses are being issued to the fluids that pass the Dexron-III(H) test.

Ken

Where do you get those info?
When I got my Chevron Dex-III for my old Honda, I believe the bottle has "compatible with any vehicle required Dex-II including import vehicle"

No problem as of now. Only a small leak (very small) and little tought shifting from 2->3!

Where to get lubeguard?

[/QUOTE]Where do you get those info?
When I got my Chevron Dex-III for my old Honda, I believe the bottle has "compatible with any vehicle required Dex-II including import vehicle"
[/QUOTE]
The issue is not that it is backward compatible, it is more if it is the most suitable for the gearbox. Backward compatible does not mean exactly the same.

It can be that the newer oil is better. It is a matter of try and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back