High Kilometer Maxima: Oil Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hellow
smile.gif

I own a 97 Maxima with fairly high Kilometers (240,000km's) on the clock, and was wondering what oil would be best for it that is available in New Zealand? It is used quite frequently, but most trips are 40mins each way. I've looked at a few Oil company websites and used their recommendation tools to see what type I should use from their company, this is what each recommended:

Castrol: CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-30 or CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40

BP: Visco 3000

Mobil: Mobil Super GF-2 10W-30 or Mobil Super

Shell: Shell Helix Plus Eco 10 or Shell Helix Super or Shell Helix SG Multigrade

Caltex: HAVOLINE SEMI-SYNTHETIC 10W-40

As you can see, there are many options, but which would be best for my car? Thanks for any advice
smile.gif

Congratulations Matt on successfully getting to those high kilometer numbers in the first place. You obviously have been doing something right.

I'm assuming that your car calls for a 10W30 oil. You can stick to that, but my personal experience tells me that you might be better with the 10W40 if the temps aren't too cold. Havoline makes a very good oil (at least the stuff they sell on this side of the planet).

Do you plan on extended OCIs? Then a synthetic or semi-syn would be good. Otherwise, you're wasting your money. Regular Havoline 10W30 or 10W40 will give you good results.

I vote for the castrol 10w-40. I have been using castrol for many years with great success on high milage cars. I use it in my Toyota Cressida with 250,000 miles so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back