High HTHS 5w30 or low HTHS 0w40 off the shelf?

Looking for a durable, non-boutique oil that's available at any store. What thick 5w30s or thin 0w40s are out there? Going into a friend's Maxima who would like cut down on oil being sheared (he's right to be cautious in my opinion)

Advance Auto Parts has Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 (API SP formulation).

Location?

5w40 is a good start warmer southerner climates. 0w40 if it gets really really cold during the Alaskan winter. Any brand and any current spec... will all work well.

An interesting point to make is these days 5W30 ILSAC stuff is usually quite thin really close to 10 cSt at 100C and has a HTHS(150C) closer to 3.0 whereas the Euro stuff is going to be over 3.5 and the KV100 is going to be closer to 12, whereas a 0W40 or 5W40 is generally around 13-14CSt with an HTHS(150C) 3.6-3.8, so there's less difference in viscosity between a 5W30 Euro oil and an Xw40 Euro oil than there is between 5W30 ILSAC oil and 5W30 Euro oil.

Looking for a durable, non-boutique oil that's available at any store. What thick 5w30s or thin 0w40s are out there? Going into a friend's Maxima who would like cut down on oil being sheared (he's right to be cautious in my opinion)
SoCal, Why not 10w30?

You can't really get 10W30 with a high HTHS, you can only get it in the thin ILSAC stuff the only high HTHS 10W-30 is syn-blend diesel oil, and I'd think for a gasoline car Euro PCMO is probably a better choice.
I know Amsoil's lower tiered oils OE and XL are 3.3 for sure, so I figured there must be others out there from the majors. I really don't understand why some of them won't publish HT/HS figures. Also I think Valvoline may have a higher HT/HS 10w30.

Yeah@userfriendly, that's a real knee slapper. In fact your haha reaction doesn't even make sense. Then again, seems like it's par for the course from you.

Quaker state has super bargain priced A3/B4 Euro 5W-40 5 quart jug at Walmart for $22.

Here is the link to it:

Most of the Euro oil equivalents are appraching $60+
I used to be into spending a lot of money for oil, filters, etc, but some of the cars I did that on I don't even own anymore.
I wished I could have all that wasted money back.

If you can find Mobil 1 0w40 Supercar I'd use that, otherwise, 0w40 FS.

Back