HID kit for fog lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read numerous pages on this forum to try to find the answer myself so forgive me if the answer has already been posted. From what I have learned from this site, you need to get a "proper" kit made for your car so it won't blind other drivers. I have an 02 Oldsmobile Intrigue. I'm not trying to pimp this car out, and seeing that they haven't made this car since 02, I'm sure there aren't a lot of kits out for this. What I would like to do is keep the low/high beams factory, but I would like to get some real bright HID fogs for when I am out in the middle of nowhere and can't see jack. Seeing that I never use the fog lights (they don't do squat right now anyways) when I'm running the low beams, I would like to use them for when I am out alone at night and really need to light up the street. I wouldn't really have to worry about blinding other drivers as people say on here because I would turn them off if a car were to drive by. Out in the country where there are no street lights, having a set of HID fog lights on a separate switch would be nice. Any suggestions to this? I keep reading that the DMMTunning(?) kit would be ok. What wattage and color should I be running for maximum light output? Thanks!

For fog lights, go 3000K, otherwise they won't be fog lights. Keep in mind that those lights probably turn off with the high beams, and constantly turning them on and off will burn the bulbs pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
For fog lights, go 3000K, otherwise they won't be fog lights. Keep in mind that those lights probably turn off with the high beams, and constantly turning them on and off will burn the bulbs pretty quick.

Thanks. I will look into 3000k. I wouldn't use them all the time. I just want something to light up the street when I need it to. If I am driving around home I usually never even need to use the high beams. With the stock setup with the fogs, I never use them because they don't do anything.

You may be looking for Driving lights, not fog lights. Fogs will give you max 20ft of distance, which is shorter than your low beams. Driving beams will give you 100-150ft of lenght. HID's in driving lights and say hello to the sun!

And if you want it for inclement weather then 3000k is the way to go, if its on a regular but pitch-dark night, 4300K is regular OEM halogen color, that is the best and brightest.

I bought Osram Sylvania Xenarc X1010 HID Xenon Auxiliary HID Low Beam/Driving/Fog Lights for my Expedition. They are DOT and come with a remote control.
These are really nice lights and when aimed properly don't seem to cause other driver any problems and are bright.
Going on 4 years and no burned out bulbs or ballast,they are good quality with 5,400k 35w.

http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=23

In a fog lamp that produces poor light with a halogen bulb to start with, an HID kit spewing more lumens isn't going to help. Nearly all factory fog lamps and a great deal after market ones are nothing more than light up cosmetic toys.

The answer you are looking for is HIR bulbs for both high low beams. It maintains the designed beam pattern with markedly more output. HID kits never were the way to go in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, with regards to safety or performance. They do exceed in glare however, no matter how much you aim them....

Quote:
Is OP willing to invest that kind of money 2002 Oldsmobile?

No idea really but decent HID lights are not cheap, i mean a decent bulb can go for $50-$100.
These can be transferred to the next without much trouble so i saw it as a long term purchase.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I won't do anything after all after reading some of the replies. You are right, I won't spend too much money in it. It is a nice car and has always been garage kept, but it isn't anything "ballin".

It is ddmtuning.I bought a hid kit and put in my Polaris rzr.All you do is select the bulb type,color,wattage.I bought the raptor kit and could not be happier.The kit only cost $30, but they ship directly from China and shipping was $18.I bought the 35 watt kit and have read not to use the 55 watt kit unless you have glass lens.If you go to the site it will give you a good idea of the colors of the light.I went with 6000k,but this is off road.4000-5000k probably better for you(I would not go below 4000) and let me tell you the 35watt is BRIGHT.

They also have lifetime warranty,I searched before I made my purchase and found a lot of good reviews.Only took about ten minutes to install(for my application)

Last edited:
ddmtuning is bright but really, it is Glare City. If you are going to HID, do it right. Have some consideration for other motorists.

When you put the ddmtuning bulb kit in a reflector light, all you are doing is scattering the extreme bright light all over and blinding other traffic rather than illuminating the road.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
ddmtuning is bright but really, it is Glare City. If you are going to HID, do it right. Have some consideration for other motorists.

When you put the ddmtuning bulb kit in a reflector light, all you are doing is scattering the extreme bright light all over and blinding other traffic rather than illuminating the road.

- Vikas

In his first post he states he wants something for when there is no other cars around and he is in the middle of nowhere.I put mine on a Polaris rzr that will never see the street.

Only trouble is that HID don't like to be turned off and on. If you are on the public road, you will have traffic coming from the opposite direction.

I'm going to sound like a 1-trick pony for this...

If your car has 9006 low beams and 9005 high beams, retrofit HIR bulbs into them. I have a full set of HIR headlights in the Buick. The high beams are amazingly bright, with a very long range to them. The low beams are the same way. For foggy driving, the low beams cut through the fog quite nicely. I haven't felt the need for foglights after installing these bulbs.

I know, 1-trick pony, and not every car can accept those bulbs. But if your car can and you have the $$$, do it.

i put H3 HIDs into aftermarket housings as an experiment... and I now have a *strictly* off-road lamp.

the 3000k lamps are yellow on-focus. they are blue-green off focus.

the beam pattern, with halogens, was very smooth with sharp upper, and lower cutoff.

with HID, the hotspot is still lit, but the pattern itself is splotchy. the upper and lower cutoff is still defined, BUT, there is a TON of extra light above and below the cutoff.

There is no way they could be used on-road, at all, unless it's rural, deserted.

in a fog housing close to the ground, it's gonna flood the foreground with a bunch of light, and your ability to see down the road will be sharply reduced.

i enjoyed my experiment.... but as much as I *hoped* for better results, it is what it is. [censored] lighting.

Originally Posted By: meep
i put H3 HIDs into aftermarket housings as an experiment... and I now have a *strictly* off-road lamp.

the 3000k lamps are yellow on-focus. they are blue-green off focus.

the beam pattern, with halogens, was very smooth with sharp upper, and lower cutoff.

with HID, the hotspot is still lit, but the pattern itself is splotchy. the upper and lower cutoff is still defined, BUT, there is a TON of extra light above and below the cutoff.

There is no way they could be used on-road, at all, unless it's rural, deserted.

in a fog housing close to the ground, it's gonna flood the foreground with a bunch of light, and your ability to see down the road will be sharply reduced.

i enjoyed my experiment.... but as much as I *hoped* for better results, it is what it is. [censored] lighting.

Excellent info... my fog lights are very low. I guess I shouldn't mess with it then.

Originally Posted By: Ryan
I have read numerous pages on this forum to try to find the answer myself so forgive me if the answer has already been posted. From what I have learned from this site, you need to get a "proper" kit made for your car so it won't blind other drivers. I have an 02 Oldsmobile Intrigue. I'm not trying to pimp this car out, and seeing that they haven't made this car since 02, I'm sure there aren't a lot of kits out for this. What I would like to do is keep the low/high beams factory, but I would like to get some real bright HID fogs for when I am out in the middle of nowhere and can't see jack. Seeing that I never use the fog lights (they don't do squat right now anyways) when I'm running the low beams, I would like to use them for when I am out alone at night and really need to light up the street. I wouldn't really have to worry about blinding other drivers as people say on here because I would turn them off if a car were to drive by. Out in the country where there are no street lights, having a set of HID fog lights on a separate switch would be nice. Any suggestions to this? I keep reading that the DMMTunning(?) kit would be ok. What wattage and color should I be running for maximum light output? Thanks!

Well I just installed NON HID Fog Lights H11. They are 65W 100% Xenon 6000K temperature. These are simply plug ins! I don't know what size bulb you you use..they are available in most sizes.
Here's some pics:

My car with NON HID special 65W Xenon H-11 bulbs 6000K 55W
017-2.jpg

Comparison to HID 5000K 35W:
fcd2b24b.jpg

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm going to sound like a 1-trick pony for this...

If your car has 9006 low beams and 9005 high beams, retrofit HIR bulbs into them. I have a full set of HIR headlights in the Buick. The high beams are amazingly bright, with a very long range to them. The low beams are the same way. For foggy driving, the low beams cut through the fog quite nicely. I haven't felt the need for foglights after installing these bulbs.

I know, 1-trick pony, and not every car can accept those bulbs. But if your car can and you have the $$$, do it.
+1

I put the HIR bulbs in the Volvo and really like the result. They're pricey, but long lived and controlled beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back