Hertz to sell 182,000 cars by year end

I got to looking in to the Hertz thing a little more, and I am backing off for now. A couple of things that make it less convenient are:

1. Hertz only provides one key with each car. You do not get two keys like you traditionally do when purchasing at normal retail. Not sure why that is the case, but it kind of bugs me. Where is that 2nd key and why do they not include it?

2. Payment options are either certified cashier's check or wire transfer. No personal checks or bank draft checks are accepted. I get why, but it is quite inconvenient. Normal car dealers take personal checks no problem and seem to be able to make it work.

3. Hertz does not have the title to the vehicles at the store. It can take up to 6 weeks for the title to be sent to you after you take delivery and pay for the car. This is a small detail, but still kind of bothersome.

4. Some vehicles have rental theft recovery equipment mounted in them. Hertz "removes" that prior to delivery. Not sure how invasive the installation of that equipment is, but not sure I like the idea that some sort of tracking equipment will have been installed and removed. Is it spliced in to the electrical system...could it cause further issues down the road if not properly disconnected, etc.? Probably a non-issue, but just makes me wonder.

Some of the Hertz used vehicles I've seen for sale on Hertz car sale lots are pictured with 2 keys/fobs. If you went the rent-2-buy route with Hertz, I'd imagine it would only have one key like your standard rental car would. Regardless, that's pretty crappy they don't at least make provisions for you to get a free 2nd one. That would be a no deal for me given the cost of some FOBs these days, like on push button start vehicles.

Either way, aside from possibly the title thing, none of the above applied with my recent Enterprise car sales experience. 2 fobs came with my truck. They accepted my credit card deposit and would have taken cash or check. They completed the deal w/out even receiving the check yet from my rinky-dink little credit union. I was in my sale's person's cubicle while their finance person spoke directly to the loan officer from my credit union. That was good enough for them which surprised me. My credit union isn't setup to "wire" anything. Due to the COVID situation, they have no office hours and everything is done by US mail or email if you're a member.

In terms of the title, I don't expect to get one with my credit union lien on it for a while.

No theft system was installed.

Will never buy rental. Just think of how many people have been through it.

This has been discussed before. There is anecdotal evidence they can be a sound buy. Especially-if they are under 30,000 miles and still have some portion of the factory warranty left.

Maybe just don't black-light the interior on them. I know I don't have the nerve to on my ex-rental Ram 1500.:oops:

This, it's not just about the wear and tear. I don't want anything that countless people have been through. Call me insecure I don't care.

So are you of the very small club on BITOG that only buys new vehicles?

Reactions: JTK
So are you of the very small club on BITOG that only buys new vehicles?

Yes, I prefer to buy new and keep it for 5 or so years. I know how it was maintained, I know what I'm getting, and I don't buy vehicles that depreciate like crazy.

That being said, buying a used vehicle in good condition that only had one owner is a stark difference to buying a daily rental that hundreds of people went through.

There are two kinds of cars sold by Hertz, the first are daily rentals that have about 15,000-30,000 miles on them. I would not hesitate to buy one if the price is right. The other kind Hertz leased out to Uber drivers having about 75,000 miles on them. No way would I buy one of them even though it had one driver, it had a thousand passengers. It’s like buying a former taxicab. I would rather have a hundred businessmen driving a rental car from airport to hotel to office, than one Uber driver putting on 2-4 times the miles and driving it day and night.

Our 1999 Camry was a rental. No major work just batteries, 1 alternator, and 1 set of shocks with 230,000 miles. Have a guy at work only buys Nissan rentals and never has had issues with any of them. Me I would never buy a Nissan new or used but that’s just me.
For me it was difficult to pass up on a rental 2019 4Runner TCPO for $6k cheaper for the same mileage than a used ‘19 4Runner one owner non rental TCPO. Let alone the majority of the non rental 2017-18’s were in the same price range as the 2019’s.
Now the rentals are close to the same price as non rentals.

For some reason Scotty Kilmer thinks that Hertz is selling cars cheap:

Regarding Scotty Kilmer...

I used to hate this guy but now he’s kind of grown on me. He’s worth like over a million dollars, yet it looks like he lives in a junk yard. That house and garage? How’d you like to be his neighbor? With junk piled up to the fence top and having to listen to his voice, while he floors it up and down the street on his test drives (that part blows my mind sometimes, he’s flooring those cars on this tight congested areas, lol).

Whenever any company is going out of business/especially bankrupt, I always ignore their sales. Especially The....Everything Muuuuust Goooo! Stuff. Everything is 50% OFFFFF!!! Then you walk in there and they raised the price 50% and there’s a million people in there going crazy over stuff you can buy next store for the same price. Picking through everything, tossing boxes all around. It’s hilarious. Sears did this...for two years they were going out of business. I swear they didn’t really drop their prices substantially until the final weeks before closing, and by then it was like an episode of the walking dead, in there...stuff all over the place, ceiling tiles falling off the ceilings, wires hanging out of the walls. Like the place had been ransacked by zombies. And it pretty much was.

Rentals have been serviced regularly. Can you say that about other used cars?
If Hertz has the car make and model you are looking for, you could do a lot worse buying elsewhere.

I've noticed used car prices are pretty high lately. Was looking for a 2018-2019 Honda Pilot Touring. Most used had 25-30K miles on them and were asking about $34-35K. Ended up buying a new 2020 Pilot Touring for $36K with all the discounts.

Back