Hertz to sell 182,000 cars by year end

Rentals have been serviced regularly. Can you say that about other used cars?
If Hertz has the car make and model you are looking for, you could do a lot worse buying elsewhere.

Totally agree. Unless you're buying from someone you know, any used car purchase is a risk. All you can go buy is condition and some records info. That's all you got.

Rentals have been serviced regularly. Can you say that about other used cars?
If Hertz has the car make and model you are looking for, you could do a lot worse buying elsewhere.
A car I rented in Atlantic Canada had the "oil change due" warning light on. I had rented it for only a couple of days so I just kept turning off the warning. When I took it back I told the clerk. She said it wasn't a problem because she had "checked the oil level herself and it was fine".

So maybe they're not all serviced regularly.

A car I rented in Atlantic Canada had the "oil change due" warning light on. I had rented it for only a couple of days so I just kept turning off the warning. When I took it back I told the clerk. She said it wasn't a problem because she had "checked the oil level herself and it was fine".

I just rented a car for my niece and her 2 sets of twin girls. The service light came on; they asked her to bring it in and gave her a Ford Escape.
But I am sure you are right; some owners perform service better than others.

I rented one a few years ago. The service light was on. The oil had just been changed...but they go by time/miles, not the warning light.

Having bought many ex-rentals, I have yet to have one that had record of more than 2 oil changes in ~36K miles. They could have had more that were not reported to carfax, but I doubt it. Everything else will be as it came from the factory at that point as well, unless it needed a matching used tire or cheapo new set.

Having bought many ex-rentals, I have yet to have one that had record of more than 2 oil changes in ~36K miles. They could have had more that were not reported to carfax, but I doubt it. Everything else will be as it came from the factory at that point as well, unless it needed a matching used tire or cheapo new set.

Every oil change does not necessarily get reported to Carfax.

I bought a high mileage 2015 Altima from Hertz a couple of years back for a friend. Serviced the CVT twice. Other services as needed. Has almost 140K on it now. No issues.

Ecotourist: our work bought 80,000 ex Hertz cars and most of them didn’t have much done in way of service. All were Kia Souls and Kia Forte’s. Most had maybe 150-2,000 miles on them and were from Florida. I had to change over 200 batteries in them since they all sat in Florida since December/January.

Back