Hertz to sell 182,000 cars by year end

Apparently Hertz is planning to sell 182,000 cars by year end. Sound interesting, or not.

72AEE3D9-45AD-4520-A1D3-2632AA28F66A.png

Reactions: JTK
Well they can try. There sure isn't any super deals from what I've seen online through Hertz.

Heck, the 2019 Ram 1500 I bought through Enterprise a few weeks ago for around $27k are now closer to $30k through Enterprise.

It's too bad, Hertz was my go to rental car agency for years now because of so many low mile newer cars. I also use National a bunch but renting in Detroit last week.... only had 20 or so cars on the Emerald Aisle. After 9-11 there were so many cars with 30-40 and even 50,000 miles, that sucked but I imagine those days are coming back.

Meh...don't see a big deal about 30-40K on a car. Last rental I did (Enterprise, minivan) had ~27K on it, as I recall.

Hmm. Might be a good deal, but would have to pay careful attention to what they may have decontented. I do believe that fleet sales can order as they see fit, and omit things.

I wonder if most will end up at auction vs. retail sales. It’s a sizable fleet reduction (1/3 rd) but not sure if they will replenish under more favorable terms.

According to a June FB post about auctions by “48 hours and a used car” :

Meanwhile Carmax is buying up everything they can, Thousands of vehicles along with Carvana, AutoNation, and dozens of other big boys. Out of 20 vehicles on my list yesterday I bought just one.

Local Hertz sales office to me has 2020 Nissan Murano SV AWD models with 5,000-6,000 miles on them for $27K. That is really tempting. The same model new is $38K MSRP, $32K after incentives. I would be willing to take the risk to save $5,000 over new, especially considering it only has 5,000 miles on it. Might have to check it out this coming weekend!

i have happily bought two ex hertz cars, my current yaris and a beloved, now gone, 2004 toyota corolla. that said hertz should offer its cars with some factory warranty left and/or drop retail prices by a good 10%+ if it wants to reduce its fleet so much in fast order. what im now seeing for sale by hertz doesn’t match cpo vehicles from a dealer.

My Soul and two other family HyunKia's are Hertz. All satisfied and much better prices than Enterprise, maybe because Enterprise is local and has a much larger retail presence in St. Louis. However a glimpse at one of Hertz's ads a couple of weeks ago showed surprisingly high prices, maybe they're raising prices so they can advertise they're lowering prices in a few months.

I don't buy in to the used and abused theory. The times I have had rental cars (either for a day or extended days), I treated them no differently than my own car. There are always exceptions, especially if you are looking at a Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, or some other muscle/performance car. But for the most part a very low mileage unit should be a safe bet. The unit I am looking at has been in service for 5 months, so it averaged 1,000 miles per month which is totally normal use. If it had been in service for 5 months and had 15,000 miles on it already, then that would be a hard pass for me.

I have bought or helped buy 3 cars from Hertz. One is a high mileage 2015 Altima that now has 120K I believe. Burns no oil. I serviced the CVT 3 times, replaced the spark plugs and put tires on it. Same as if it was bought new.

I think if Hertz or anyone else needs to sell a bunch of cars, they had better offer deals. Lotta people being careful with their money nowadays.

Local Hertz sales office to me has 2020 Nissan Murano SV AWD models with 5,000-6,000 miles on them for $27K. That is really tempting. The same model new is $38K MSRP, $32K after incentives. I would be willing to take the risk to save $5,000 over new, especially considering it only has 5,000 miles on it. Might have to check it out this coming weekend!

If you don't mind a Nissan, ex-rental Muranos and Pathfinders seem to be the best deal in terms of what you'll save over a new one. Same with any of Nissan's sedans/ When I purchased my wife's ex-rental 2019 Pathfinder SV AWD in Oct 2019, I got it for $24K. It had 23K miles on it. Best I could do on a new 2019 at that time was about $31K.

I know we talk about this often, but I've probably bought close to a dozen ex-rentals at this point. I've never had a problem with them and I never got penalized more than normal when I go to trade them in.

I picked up a rental 2019 4Runner TRD Off Road as a certified Toyota Vehicle last month. It was out of state also which was a first for me. Love it no regrets! I had been keeping a eye on rentals back in March and found a couple 4Runners here and there for a pretty good price then found this one in Denver. Better warranty and for the same price as Hertz with same mileage.
i
328A2165-0175-40DD-8295-96079515FD6E.jpeg

Back