Hertz to buy 100K Teslas

I have Hertz as a tenant in two different properties. They have asked me for permission to install the regular chargers at these locations (not the fast chargers) and will leave them in place if I do not renew the leases. They are not for public use.
BTW, I have other properties where I looked into adding super-chargers, but most existing commercial and residential buildings (not industrial) do not have enough additional power capacity for those chargers. So, it isn't that simple like everyone thinks.

Good question. There are 2 steps, from a high level, in chip manufacture. The chip itself and the firmware programming. Tesla is the only car mfg that codes their own software. This allows for repurposing chips and using different chips. This vertical integration is a key advantage. FYI NVIDIA is the big semiconductor software company. But make no mistake, the global shortage hurts everyone. Tesla has managed it better.
I can assure you Tesla is not the only company coding its own software. Tesla is no god and when they do their own stuff they can also make careless mistakes, like putting powertrain control firmware and logging on the same eMMC, so logging end up killing the eMMC which renders the car immobile.

As I mentioned earlier, motor control and powertrain control stuff are old school, low processing need. The main need for Tesla to make their own stuff is for the self driving and (maybe) the touch screen graphics. Other companies without their own chips are fine as long as they are not trying to do self driving. or 3D animation on the touch screen.

Where is Tesla getting all their microchips, which supposedly are in short supply, to support all the planned vehicle production ?
Their 7nm are likely from TSMC, but I would not be surprised they have second source from Samsung as well for slightly older more mature models if volume justify it. If Apple can have 3 sources for iPhone I'm sure everyone can.

For the low-power simple controllers they probably just buy them from NXP, Motorola, Renaissance, TI, etc like everyone else in the automotive industry.

Last edited:
I can assure you Tesla is not the only company coding its own software. Tesla is no god and when they do their own stuff they can also make careless mistakes, like putting powertrain control firmware and logging on the same eMMC, so logging end up killing the eMMC which renders the car immobile.

As I mentioned earlier, motor control and powertrain control stuff are old school, low processing need. The main need for Tesla to make their own stuff is for the self driving and (maybe) the touch screen graphics. Other companies without their own chips are fine as long as they are not trying to do self driving. or 3D animation on the touch screen.

Their 7nm are likely from TSMC, but I would not be surprised they have second source from Samsung as well for slightly older more mature models if volume justify it. If Apple can have 3 sources for iPhone I'm sure everyone can.

For the low-power simple controllers they probably just buy them from NXP, Motorola, Renaissance, TI, etc like everyone else in the automotive industry.
I am not sure you have the right information PandaBear. Renesas had a big fire and then a flood. Other companies switched over to other chips. Changeover is very expensive and they would rather manufacture the more expensive architectures.

Tesla is the only car company who programs their own chips. This allowed them to repurpose chips and more.

I can't imagine the electrical service that will be required at Hertz to recharge 60,000 Teslas. Will customers be required to return them fully charged? If not how will they be charged ( both physically and financially)?
Not to mention that unless they enlist HUGE expenditures (which will force them to raise rental costs on ALL vehicles), to secure their own “green” charging, 85%+ of the power these chargers use will be, yes, FOSSIL FUEL POWERED!

What an F’ing scam.

Not to mention that unless they enlist HUGE expenditures (which will force them to raise rental costs on ALL vehicles), to secure their own “green” charging, 85%+ of the power these chargers use will be, yes, FOSSIL FUEL POWERED!

What an F’ing scam.
Well, 60.8% as an average across America. About 50% in California. But good point.

Last edited:
Here are current USA statistics on power generation. An additional 49 billion kWhrs of small scale solar, mostly on California house roof tops can be added. Enjoy.

061A041F-0552-4E7C-8C5A-4A7D14DBCBF9.png

Here are current USA statistics on power generation. An additional 49 billion kWhrs of small scale solar, mostly on California house roof tops can be added. Enjoy.

View attachment 117864
Can we really count renewables as that full nameplate percentage when every single one of those sources is periodic and not controlled by man? I’d say renewables should have a 50% derating factor at a minimum to get the real capability.

Assuming that those chargers are working or not hours waiting to get charged.
The only reason the chargers wouldn’t be working is because somebody made the decision to slash too much fossil fuel or nuclear power plants in that area. Simple fix IMO… ditch climate alarmism & do what’s needed to support the people, not some idiotic policies!

View attachment 117864
So that the cars will all have to be charged in the middle of the day?! If Californians think they have a duck curve now, just wait until that gets increased by that amount. That's nuts.

Hertz made some bad business decisions over the years, lets see how this plays out. I have a feeling this will be another bad move........
27.gif

What about when Tesla denies its warranty due to being "commercial use" vs home use. Tesla pulls stuff like this alot. Hertz has shot themselves in the foot.

The only reason the chargers wouldn’t be working is because somebody made the decision to slash too much fossil fuel or nuclear power plants in that area. Simple fix IMO… ditch climate alarmism & do what’s needed to support the people, not some idiotic policies!
Or someone drove off with it still connected like they do at gas stations.

Back