Hertz to buy 100K Teslas

When Prius was the latest and best thing I was offered one (straight across) in San Diego instead of the Corolla I had reserved. I took it of course and enjoyed driving it. Something similar happened a few months later in Boston.

A few years later renting a Prius had become a significantly more expensive proposition.

I suspect this is away for people to try out a Tesla and I suspect they'll sell a lot of them because people have rented one and liked it.

Let's hope the "deal" included charging stations at the rental locations.
Unfortunately, nobody is prepared for the loss of maintenance jobs associated with ICE cars. If I was a "mechanic" for Hertz, I'd be worried.

In that same vein, the entire economy is not prepared for the loss of jobs linked to the adoption of electric vehicles. No oil filters, no oil changes, no coolant changes, no fuel rails, fuel pumps, injectors, none of that.

Unfortunately, nobody is prepared for the loss of maintenance jobs associated with ICE cars. If I was a "mechanic" for Hertz, I'd be worried.

In that same vein, the entire economy is not prepared for the loss of jobs linked to the adoption of electric vehicles. No oil filters, no oil changes, no coolant changes, no fuel rails, fuel pumps, injectors, none of that.
Hertz does maintance???? really. You should have seen the tar on the dipstick of the last rental.

I can't imagine the electrical service that will be required at Hertz to recharge 60,000 Teslas. Will customers be required to return them fully charged? If not how will they be charged ( both physically and financially)?
I’ll bet it’s a money making scheme. Teslas can’t be cost effective to rent from the discount pool at the price they cost. It will turn into a $1/kWh or some inflated price that they profit off of, just like gas, only worse because it’s slower and more restrictive to charge an ev, especially if it needs to be “topped off” like a gas car.

Last edited:
They're going to need a fleet of customer service folks to help idiot customers that either run out of battery, or can't find a charger on their own. Then teach them how to use 3rd party chargers if there isn't a supercharger around.

They'll also need to install chargers at their rental locations. Big undertaking, not just buying the cars and handing over the key card.

But if people pay enough for a rental, it might be worth it.

Anyone out there that rents out their Tesla on Turo should sell it before these hit the market.

Hertz does maintance???? really. You should have seen the tar on the dipstick of the last rental.
My '11 Express was Hertz owned, once upon a time-I'm completely convinced neither Hertz nor the guy I bought it from ever heard of the word "Dexos"!! Wonder where Hertz is going to find all those $ to put chargers in all their locations? Elon ain't GIVING THEM AWAY,

Hertz can charge a handsome penny for charging, and unlike fueling - do it onsite.

Not quite. You have coolant, diff oil, brakes, brake fluid, refrigerant, to deal with.

Hertz can charge a handsome penny for charging, and unlike fueling - do it onsite.

Not quite. You have coolant, diff oil, brakes, brake fluid, refrigerant, to deal with.
Absolutely, wheel bearings, shocks, tie rods, sway bars, etc.

I’d think EV rentals would be better for the insurance replacement business than the travel business, at least initially. Enterprise does a ton of insurance billed business with small local locations and Hertz is probably second in that regard. That type of rental would be easier for a customer to charge at home while their car is being repaired at a body shop. Interesting news and glad I kept my Tesla shares.

Back