Hertz to buy 100K Teslas

When people ask about the car, I always ask them, "How are you gonna charge?"
As @OVERKILL stated there are ways that will work; I always suggest making sure prospective buyers think long term about what they are doing.
I made the conscious decision to upgrade our service panel years ago (yes, it wasn't cheap, there were permits required, etc.). And I had a union electrician run the dedicated line to charge the car.
This solution allows for use of a Tesla Wall Charger, if I should choose to do so in the future.
EHy2Oz3pjzkOBD1_52gxvuTlYZnBZAqyiyWqw5NQ8THBtDJJVVLvrBWSjRq-FcI37Oku1gqDOATJS70tP8bHXIAJ-o8sm7HSoi91RQMMq0IxX8DdrnLpHhEtkOW1nc-_1YDpY3j65RYO-_rNLBCx3s9U28a75Ks-KCSXv46nolF4zzOD8TmGAmk7E_B_gLc8nUlJ0TO-zk1YTzsDFQ5ZlK3Y-YzCraG3TOkBm8ACfjNB1aH5Ft4jl3jy1irVxiWlL3B6hWMc6w63pcFu_DvDsCNuMQ_c9ZiJaM-h5BYDzwLugqOF4kLi6a87Zi-Y_SmdOoVT0omziNDR6MdIXclF2fLLU-BP5SC-m7Gnw6YKBAlJpVBR-WUnPPhF_YUTqueTLvlY-dCr65cWaXfcj2rUg6fgomVYqYQaIO4s59nu0CiLj2tUH8jN6Zu3QY79s0AbALO67MY7LfmgWOC4487oxGZ0wBqECuIGF5KJitnDT2JeKB-0FSeKPkLkLP6qC5xu85iWLVW8s5PIiuxrELBeb9yg7bzz-fp7c-kuCIOQqKjdv2sAxPQ9quxOFODH3ceqrL_rlObMnnEQW7UG59CnHz-JyD1stX6V5rSj2h3bY-i6BorrMRaQgKWTfU4tanMaSNQCB0IsHwMac0SU9HtP5qTShCgDE6Vilfv9hoJN3VIR9PNyuhWHNU1a-7_5_ukVxLsX-EPxaunuO9jNpSsVQ_J8=w1270-h953-no

AWx7z5q_tW9VohUhfr3jFtB00t2MXBS4UUBPO5uJusfiuLQW1QgzxxKafmfmbiWK-z5oDRIhqRgRhbgvX-NI_rEqsTT8F0UgrdV-b1NfDvTIU_Dz9sddGT9k8Q8Avr9ki58NTladHpMJNv7GnAjQ5_mvxYmnBjeuOQx1HZWQ70XEgE-pCBBoSptbv_qU-xO1IKz9BSnb6hkqObvSEtuI-Gq4OmGDvDFF3_8KptF0fPUdLb8her4v5eLxZ7g-ftBbM6tvn-q_mDHYVvuaJooZrn5cAmmi1WpAQbaRU5j2BHx-t6g_Vga43MD8OCNGpxR45lgcaL1z-6EZXXP9LaeY2e20NZbGvZcfivCq2dhvYU2sufgBGtW9gVNUOoy_G77FHm3XNGPSpelBprDAg_I23bKa662cC7xt16wsIBii5EotS3YoKT9xOfbAsNz44lEFgX9_K8Ee1vfYZEWmuwYJ0IPvWVKE-VraV5v7isdjJSBttFXKQ0Dp2ELfg40I2GqyE_38IJK0SR4eKe8x4RHtgvtEZcPlpvdcIyylQd_b8lLZQ8ETj7n0WxvQHYfVXKzryGZL-d3CCYK23_F9guZv6T5GDOpYRpTYsOF7ljQZLYQp8NuteeJopwQl2-oeBjmvbaYU1jAUatu5WsBrCwFR8RT60GDdNr7-izTn6Clh7P-MXE5Eh5BBLN-yD_xSgcZKltKiM6GBUZGmFVfcG7VODB9E=w715-h953-no

911's used to win Paris to Dakar.

Idaho has tried the E.V. registration tax. It lasted 1 or 2 years, I had to pay about double for my Hybrid Accord. It was then Quickly repealed.
Idaho's politicians are as much of a crime gang as any of the west coast of north east state governments.

So the stock is hovering nearer to $1100. Analysts across the board have increased their targets to the $1200 - $1300 range. TSLA's value is 2% of the entire S&P.
Analysts cited:
  • Continued delivery and financial results that soundly beat forecasts.
  • Increase in quality as measureed by excellent warranty performance over the past year.
  • The fact that the competition's attempts, (aka "Tesla Killers") to gain momentum in the budding EV market are largely falling flat.
Operating margins are likely to decrease as the 2 new factories ramp over the next year, but deliveries are expected to continue to skyrocket.
Tesla is expected to be delivering 12M cars annually by 2030. Maybe 20M...
Even dumb ol' Yahoo Finance, who has bad rapped the company forever, said, "With all the momentum behind it, could Tesla grow even bigger, to say, $3 trillion?" And what happened to their short sellers?

The 38A (50A) dryer plug doesn't require a panel upgrade (though it is recommended if you have a lot of high draw appliances). A 100A or 125A panel is sufficient, which makes the installation cost a lot cheaper, just don't run the dryer, stove and EV charger at the same time.

The big cost (at least in Ontario) to go to 200A is that you have to get the service from the street upgraded, which involves the city and the utility and greatly increases the cost. The 200A panel itself is quite inexpensive in comparison.
Many in the Bay Area use gas for cooking and drying - so the 240V outlet is sitting pretty. Soon to change, with SF/Berkeley/Oakland banning gas in new construction.

I can get a new 200A main panel from Home Depot for $120. However, the utility’s providing a drop/lateral from their transformer/tap to their side of the meter socket(as we in IT call it, the demarcation point). I’ve heard it was $5-7K for PG&E to come out, disconnect the existing drop, replace it with an upgraded drop and reconnect once they get the OK from the city/county inspectors. That’s if you have overhead utilities.

The utilities have their own green book for codes and do their own engineering outside of NEC specs.

Many in the Bay Area use gas for cooking and drying - so the 240V outlet is sitting pretty. Soon to change, with SF/Berkeley/Oakland banning gas in new construction.

I can get a new 200A main panel from Home Depot for $120. However, the utility’s providing a drop/lateral from their transformer/tap to their side of the meter socket(as we in IT call it, the demarcation point). I’ve heard it was $5-7K for PG&E to come out, disconnect the existing drop, replace it with an upgraded drop and reconnect once they get the OK from the city/county inspectors. That’s if you have overhead utilities.

The utilities have their own green book for codes and do their own engineering outside of NEC specs.
While I do not remember what it cost, there is no way I paid $5K for PG&E to do the drop to the new service panel. All the work was done by a friend who was an electrician in the past; Vernon knew all the codes from houses to buildings. The work passed inspecion with flying colors. It was inspected again when we installed the solar panels 3 1/2 years ago.

The Tesla hasn't auto-self-combusted as yet... All good.

By that logic, railroads should should still be running steam, so they could hold on to more employees and have lower profits. Just because a Tesla doesn't need an oil change, doesn't mean that they won't have wear and tear.
Right, I hate it when people say making things last too long would kill job so we cannot do it, because it is going to put people out of jobs. We would be driving cars with 5 digit odometers because they won't last more than 60k without a rebuild, I'm glad we are over that now. The world has moved on, we are not on horses and buggies anymore.

Regarding to charging, Hertz would likely roll out Tesla only if they are near public super charger and then use them to charge at fast charging, it will hurt the battery long term but for their business model they don't care. You buying a used Hertz Tesla you would expect them to be fast charged and you would expect not to pay the best price for it. Fast charging would likely be "fast" like 80% in 1 hr fast, they likely would be available in airports or downtown near a shopping mall anyways.

Regarding to what if people return them empty, they would be paying an arm and a leg like they do when they return a gas rental empty, or they can prepay for a full tank of "battery" before they leave.

Regarding to the world not being ready for EV, or gasoline being cheaper: unless you are in Saudi and Texas this is not a guarantee, a lot of nations or states in US have high gas price and low electric price, and if infrastructure money pays for charger at work, the cheap duck curve bottom solar will be subsidizing the charging at work vs at home, so that would likely be the future of off peak charging (while at work).

It is easy to tax anything that has an odometer on it, you guys have inspection or smog check no? or maybe in the future you need to use wifi to send the reading to DMV once a year or you have to visit a mechanic place to get it read and sent for $50? Something like that.

I have a feeling that Hertz pick Tesla because they speculate the resell value would be good, and the supercharging network. I am not sure if they will get a discount from Elon though.

Last edited:
and if infrastructure money pays for charger at work, the cheap duck curve bottom solar will be subsidizing the charging at work vs at home, so that would likely be the future of off peak charging (while at work).

Perhaps but remember where that infrastructure money comes from.

Think about what goes wrong, even on “reliable” cars. Very little is actually the engine/transmission.

Quality has more to do with how well the AC evaporator, or little plastic clips, or rubber seals, or suspension bushings last in the two or three owner real world. It doesn’t strike me that we are there yet.

You bring up a good point about brakes, my hybrid brakes don’t see much rotor or pad wear. Sometimes I have to stop hard just to get the rust off the rear rotors. But that’s not a quality issue, that’s a good thing believe it or not. Quality would be rusted brake lines or calipers that seize up easily, or bad abs electronics that throw codes often. That type of thing.

I’d agree that good tech should bring reliability. But sometimes complexity and new good tech brings bugs. Tesla’s fight against right to repair leaves me wondering…

Can you even buy a Tesla on a used car lot?
I don’t blame Tesla for going against R2R. Too many hacks who call themselves mechanics but are parts cannons or install cheap AutoZone parts. I’ve gotten 180K on the OEM brakes on a Prius - with plenty to spare. I replaced them with OE Toyota friction as PM but also to keep my OEM rotors and drums.

I’ve seen Teslas at the local Subaru and Toyota dealers as trade-ins.

Perhaps but remember where that infrastructure money comes from.
This is how I see it:

1) Companies, as in landlords, retailers, employers, etc believe they can provide a "service" that will make them a nicer place to work, live, or shop and maybe make a few bucks along the way too (i.e. charge them a percentage above their grid power cost). This is the same reason apartment buildings provide coin-op laundromats. They get used and landlords make a decent profit on them (i.e. for us a couple thousand a year per machine in profit for a quadplex).

2) Electric grid provides funding for some locations impacted by duck curve, i.e. office parking lots so that the usage would offset solar generation. This helps them improve grid stability and profitability. They have done the same with ice-based air conditioning for commercial properties.

3) Same funding that makes populations' quality of life better, like roads, libraries, schools, etc. I'm sure everyone can use fuzzy math to massage the numbers so I'll leave it to your imagination.

So far Tesla has been doing 1) above, and depending on location I would say there are many retailers giving space to Tesla to install superchargers. It makes the retailers look good and Tesla looks good.

I saw a report yesterday that Hertz may be partnering with Uber and the purchase of Model 3's may actually be 200,000 by the end of 2023. That would mean that charging may be a moot issue for many of those vehicles if they are being charged at the Uber driver's homes and not at Hertz rental locations. I think Elon and his team and the team at Hertz have the supply issue and charging issues figured out already or wouldn't have announced the deal.

TSLA briefly touched $1100 this morning and then dropped back down a little bit. It will be really interesting to see where it closes at the end of 2022 assuming that the supply chain parts issues have been resolved and the new factories are up and running and ramped up to their expected capacities. People who are financial experts and who have a pretty good track record of accurate predictions are saying $2500 a share. Could very well be.........

Tesla's investment in their SuperCharging network has paid off handsomely. It had to be a key decision metric for Hertz.
Each to their own, but when are other car companies gonna become leaders and get a clue?
By the way, isn't the intrim Hertz CEO an ex-Ford exec?

Luckily, I'd assume all those new construction houses with gas banned would come with at least a 200A service.

Yes, the "demarc upgrade" is what I referenced as being expensive (making up the bulk of the cost) here in Ontario as well, but I'll note it's a lot less than $5-$7K, more like $2,500-$3K from what I recall, plus the wiring work by the electrician for replacing the panel, total cost was around $5K.

Where is Tesla getting all their microchips, which supposedly are in short supply, to support all the planned vehicle production ?

Where is Tesla getting all their microchips, which supposedly are in short supply, to support all the planned vehicle production ?
Good question. There are 2 steps, from a high level, in chip manufacture. The chip itself and the firmware programming. Tesla is the only car mfg that codes their own software. This allows for repurposing chips and using different chips. This vertical integration is a key advantage. FYI NVIDIA is the big semiconductor software company. But make no mistake, the global shortage hurts everyone. Tesla has managed it better.

Hertz charges up the Ying Yang if you return a car low on fuel. Imagine how much they will charge if you return it with a low battery.

i just had one in FLL.

3.49 per gal if you prepay

9.99 per gal if you just drop it off not full and do NOT prepay the fuel.

yes, that is TEN dollars a gallon.

local stations were 3.19 per gal

Back