Hertz EV disposal plan in effect.

Well, my search shows you to be mistaken; I wanted to get your side of the story. I am open to other points of view. I am data driven. If I make a point, I can point to credible source(s). Otherwise it is just blowing wind, right?
You're always quick to brag about how great your solar panel investment was, your EV, your savings, etc. I've read of people claiming they drive their EV cheap, or some even free, you never saw that? Sorry. Did you calculate the higher insurance costs into the mix, the shorter tire life, the higher cost to replace them, and the added cost to replace a roof and new panels in your EV savings calculations when the time comes? Do others posting on the web making the claims do all the math? I've read a lot of complaints too about EV ownership, do you need proof of that? Re-read what I said, I'm calling out the math of the people making the claims they're saving a lot of money or driving/powering [to make it perfectly clear] their vehicle free that's all.

You're always quick to brag about how great your solar panel investment was, your EV, your savings, etc. I've read of people claiming they drive their EV cheap, or some even free, you never saw that? Sorry. Did you calculate the higher insurance costs into the mix, the shorter tire life, the higher cost to replace them, and the added cost to replace a roof and new panels in your EV savings calculations when the time comes? Do others posting on the web making the claims do all the math? I've read a lot of complaints too about EV ownership, do you need proof of that? Re-read what I said, I'm calling out the math of the people making the claims they're saving a lot of money or driving/powering [to make it perfectly clear] their vehicle free that's all.
I don’t know his experience, but my insurance rates aren’t higher as far as I can tell. It’s $40 more per year than my VW which I can’t say is specific to an EV. It had a $10k higher initial purchase cost than the VW. I have 7/32s on my tires after 10k miles which seems normal to me. They’re 235 section width Michelin MXM4s on a car that weighs 3,800lbs. I don’t see any reason other than driving habits that these tires should wear faster than normal with those specs. My cost per mile to power the car is 1/3 of my other car. I’ve heard the things you mentioned before but I have not had that be my experience.

Only one data point, but I’ve heard this statistic many times and not one of them has been true for me.

I don’t know his experience, but my insurance rates aren’t higher as far as I can tell. It’s $40 more per year than my VW which I can’t say is specific to an EV. It had a $10k higher initial purchase cost than the VW. I have 7/32s on my tires after 10k miles which seems normal to me. They’re 235 section width Michelin MXM4s on a car that weighs 3,800lbs. I don’t see any reason other than driving habits that these tires should wear faster than normal with those specs. My cost per mile to power the car is 1/3 of my other car. I’ve heard the things you mentioned before but I have not had that be my experience.

Only one data point, but I’ve heard this statistic many times and not one of them has been true for me.
Fair enough, region plays into it too. L.I. NY vs. WI, big difference in cost to operate, the cost to insure, and the cost to install solar panels and/or do the needed electrical work to charge them quicker. They're a hell of a lot more than $40 per year over a similar size ICE sedan to insure here. Depending on zip code here the amount can be very high to some.

Fair enough, region plays into it too. L.I. NY vs. WI, big difference in cost to operate, the cost to insure, and the cost to install solar panels and/or do the needed electrical work to charge them quicker. They're a hell of a lot more than $40 per year over a similar size ICE sedan to insure here. Depending on zip code here the amount can be very high to some.
Like I said only comparing to one data point and it’s possible rates are higher on GTIs than other cars typically comparable to a Model 3. I don’t recall my F150 being cheaper to the GTI at the time though. We did see it was extremely expensive to fix relatively light damage from the deer strike which I would expect from the Tesla as well.

For obvious reasons I’ve only shopped rates in my area and total cost per year on insurance is $1791 for both cars combined.

I never said my Model 3 was cheap. I never said solar was cheap. I said the solar was an investment and has paid off better than the original estimates. I've said I was lucky. That's not bragging; it's just the numbers. Sorry if you took it that way. In CA, the high cost of energy is a big concern, which is why hybrids and EV vehicles, solar panels, etc make a lot of sense. My favorite vehicle is the old Tundra, but I can't afford to feed it. I love pickup trucks, especially old ones.

All I am questioning is your post about people claiming operating an EV was free or almost free. It's an honest question.
Let's drop this as it is going nowhere. If you want to alert me to anything I am all ears. Beyond that, happy Friday.

My insurance, Costco Connect, is pretty reasonable. My CA registration, on the other hand, is not. CA adds a big charge on EVs to take the place of the gasoline road use tax. And it ain't equitable in my case, because I don't put that many miles on the car. What's a poor boy to do?

You’re acting like you have to stand there and hold the charger for eight hours.

It’s not like getting gas. You simply plug it in and go make dinner and go to sleep and it’s full in the morning.

Is that not obvious? Lol.

This is apparently one of the most difficult concepts to understand.

Like I said only comparing to one data point and it’s possible rates are higher on GTIs than other cars typically comparable to a Model 3. I don’t recall my F150 being cheaper to the GTI at the time though. We did see it was extremely expensive to fix relatively light damage from the deer strike which I would expect from the Tesla as well.

For obvious reasons I’ve only shopped rates in my area and total cost per year on insurance is $1791 for both cars combined.
You're in a car class way above ours. Both our cars are mint but getting older. If we replaced one it would be the Mazda which sits on our driveway a week or two at a time since my wife works from home.
Perfect candidate for an EV AT the RIGHT price. Older now, I guess I have my share of cars and look at them more like utilities but, in mint condition or out they go.

Anyway, our insurance is $970 a year for both vehicles, $485.76 every six months.
Mazda so old I dont have collision on it just comp. My liability is robust and includes uninsured and underinsured to the max of $250,000/$500,000 ( a lot of people are deficient on this) Our state so cheap I just do it.

Talking about EVs I see Hertz lowered prices somewhat, at least I think they did on 2023 Bolts. I would be very tempted if I could easily do it without any hassle. I say tempted as we would need another look, it is kind of small but didnt feel that way for a small around town car when we first sat in one. Reminds me when the tiny Hondas first hit our shored in the mid to early 1970s *LOL*
Hertz isnt exactly around the corner and I have a lot on my plate right now landscaping and still setting up our new house.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.17.28 PM.jpg

400+ miles? And recharge even in the most remote areas?
Of course, not 400 miles at least not yet.

But you said in a previous post you only have to fill your gas tank every week or two so that would mean you do not have to charge an electric vehicle every night as you posted.

If you fill your gas tank after 400 miles every week or two that means you would only have to recharge your electric vehicle every 5 to 10 days.
That was the only reason for my post because you implied that the electric car has to be charged daily

Last edited:
Don't you love those arguments when people emphasize that they need to refill, I need it right now! Like in 2-5 mins, like they drive 300+ miles daily. In that case, they are not an average Joe, and it is obviously not the correct vehicle for their needs. Would I take my Bolt for a vacation trip with toddlers? Absolutely no! In that case, I have a minivan, or I would rent a car. For any other reason, if I don't have to have a whole family somewhere, my default choice would be Bolt within its range. I actually saw an interesting video about a cross-country trip in Ukraine, 4 or 5 EVs vs diesel car. EVs were not hat behind, like 20 mins in that "race," but in the total cost of that trip, they were ahead.

Last edited:
You're in a car class way above ours. Both our cars are mint but getting older. If we replaced one it would be the Mazda which sits on our driveway a week or two at a time since my wife works from home.
Perfect candidate for an EV AT the RIGHT price. Older now, I guess I have my share of cars and look at them more like utilities but, in mint condition or out they go.

Anyway, our insurance is $970 a year for both vehicles, $485.76 every six months.
Mazda so old I dont have collision on it just comp. My liability is robust and includes uninsured and underinsured to the max of $250,000/$500,000 ( a lot of people are deficient on this) Our state so cheap I just do it.

Talking about EVs I see Hertz lowered prices somewhat, at least I think they did on 2023 Bolts. I would be very tempted if I could easily do it without any hassle. I say tempted as we would need another look, it is kind of small but didnt feel that way for a small around town car when we first sat in one. Reminds me when the tiny Hondas first hit our shored in the mid to early 1970s *LOL*
Hertz isnt exactly around the corner and I have a lot on my plate right now landscaping and still setting up our new house.

View attachment 216215
In my case, when I was recently shopping, I used calculations from the Progressive website, selected "replace car," and punched in the new car I wanted to try without submitting actual changes. I was replacing my 2018 Outlander Phev. I did compare Bolt EUV, model 3, Mustang Mach-e, and Ioniq 5. In all cases, increase $50-$120 per policy period (half a year, and I pay for the whole period outright to get additional discounts). This means that in the worst case, I would spend $240 more per year after the swap. If I recall correctly, Model 3 was the most expensive to insure, and Bolt and some other models were $50 extra, but those are all 5+ years newer and more expensive cars than I had.

Of course, not 400 miles at least not yet.

But you said in a previous post you only have to fill your gas tank every week or two so that would mean you do not have to charge an electric vehicle every night as you posted.

If you fill your gas tank after 400 miles every week or two that means you would only have to recharge your electric vehicle every 5 to 10 days.
That was the only reason for my post because you implied that the electric car has to be charged daily
Once again, I was responding to another poster who referenced "daily charging". Look on page 3.

This is the 2nd time I am explaining this. No more.

Once again, I was responding to another poster who referenced "daily charging". Look on page 3.

This is the 2nd time I am explaining this. No more.
In post 34, you said you don't want to gas up or charge daily. Responders are simply saying you don't have to unless you are driving a ton of miles per day.
Did you mean something else?

I never understood the Hertz decision to buy Teslas; it makes little sense beyond customer curiosity.
Here's the problems, off the top of my head:
  • Hertz paid full price, just like you and I would. No volume discount.
  • Renters are supposed to bring cars back full; they probably have to sit on a charger, after they find one.
  • Teslas operate differently; there is a learning curve. It can be problematic for some.
  • Are there Superchargers everywhere renters wanna go? No.
  • Accident repair cost and parts availability.
I'm glad I never rented a Tesla with a learning curve then. Heck it took me 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot with a Prius I rented when they first came out.

I needed to rent a car at 2am at RSW because of flight and gate delays and the Hertz counter was open for business. Most of the others were closed. A +1 for being there unlike Thrifty who closed at midnight and left me hanging with no car. The guy at the Hertz counter was great, he took care of us even though we had no reservation and even went so far to give us a discount by coding my 10 day rental with a group discount code.

The car was a 2019 Mazda CX5 which looked great at 2:30 am and was clean and fully gassed up. It had over 65,500 miles on it which surprised me that it was still in the rental fleet. A sticker on the door said it had its oil changed at 50,000 miles so a 15,500 mile OCI I guess. Wow! It had California plates.

On the second day the oil light went on and my son who was driving it called me. I told him to pull over at a gas station and he checked the dip stick and it showed no oil. He bought a quart of whatever oil they had and added it and drove back. The oil light went out as he drove. I checked it myself the next day and the oil just touched the dip stick. I bought and added another quart of Havoline 5w-20 semi synthetic and it was okay for the rest of the rental.

How the car left the airport 2 quarts low on oil was simple negligence on them. Unfortunately I had to let my son do the return and he wasn’t up to haggling with them at the return site for the cost of the two quarts of oil. Like always he was late and in a rush.
Unfortunately the rental car industry which never seemed to attract the biggest and the brightest are pulling more and more of this not waiting for the last flight to come in (showing reservations of course) to close the counter. It's bit me 3 times in the last 2 years.

As far as the oil reimbursement goes, if you show a receipt for anything car maintenance related right when you return the car, it can be deducted right then and there. In my case the rental car companies end up buying a jug of wiper washer fluid a lot.

Yeah, kind of why one EV per household, maybe two? I dont know anyone with less than 2 cars.
Also they must own a house, cant be an apartment, condo, college dorm or renting in many cases.
For our house, now with the kids gone and since we own a house its entirely do-able on one of the two vehicles if I want to spend the extra money on an EV
My kid who lives in mid town Los Angeles says its now in apartment rental ads that they have EV chargers in the units. I know it's LA and not Salina Kansas but still, it is slowly becoming available there too.

My kid who lives in mid town Los Angeles says its now in apartment rental ads that they have EV chargers in the units. I know it's LA and not Salina Kansas but still, it is slowly becoming available there too.
There many newish apartments in Austin area that have at least one charger with 2 ports. Many offices with garages that offer free charging for their employees and I know some folks whom exclusively charge at work, unless they plan a trip somewhere. For example my wife’s office has 5 ports between 4 chargers available.

Back