Hertz EV disposal plan in effect.

Hertz deserves to suffer for their boondoggle. I mean my God who the heck wants to rent an electric vehicle? What purpose does that serve except to be inconvenienced.
I guess, for some reason Hertz thought and believed Elon Musk that electric vehicles were going to save them money. Ha! They listened to a car salesman.!!!

Some corporations love to shoot themselves in the foot all the time. Things were actually looking good after they emerged from bankruptcy and they go off on this wild EV culture thing almost bankrupts them again maybe.

Sometimes you just cannot fix stupid

I was thinking of renting a Tesla when I was in Austin but was worried the battery would not be 100% charged at airport pick up.
I would never recharge at a charging station in hot Texas summer once I left the airport.

I never understood the Hertz decision to buy Teslas; it makes little sense beyond customer curiosity.
Here's the problems, off the top of my head:
  • Hertz paid full price, just like you and I would. No volume discount.
  • Renters are supposed to bring cars back full; they probably have to sit on a charger, after they find one.
  • Teslas operate differently; there is a learning curve. It can be problematic for some.
  • Are there Superchargers everywhere renters wanna go? No.
  • Accident repair cost and parts availability.

Some companies have policies that have a preference for corporate rentals of battery EVs. Probably not enough. I think it was the deal with Uber that really messed them up.

All the good options were gone within days. While I thought about it for a few days, all model 3 for 24-26k with around 30k on the ODO were gone.
There were a few in the mid teens back when this first started, because of timing hertz started selling at what was apparently a bottomed out model 3 market which then rapidly went back up in price.

That dip maybe lasted a few weeks.

Gotta wonder who would buy this?
If it was $3500 maybe but you still get destroyed by insurance. It’s sad we live in a world where insurance + registration is the single largest cost of vehicle ownership.
IMG_5194.jpg

I needed to rent a car at 2am at RSW because of flight and gate delays and the Hertz counter was open for business. Most of the others were closed. A +1 for being there unlike Thrifty who closed at midnight and left me hanging with no car. The guy at the Hertz counter was great, he took care of us even though we had no reservation and even went so far to give us a discount by coding my 10 day rental with a group discount code.

The car was a 2019 Mazda CX5 which looked great at 2:30 am and was clean and fully gassed up. It had over 65,500 miles on it which surprised me that it was still in the rental fleet. A sticker on the door said it had its oil changed at 50,000 miles so a 15,500 mile OCI I guess. Wow! It had California plates.

On the second day the oil light went on and my son who was driving it called me. I told him to pull over at a gas station and he checked the dip stick and it showed no oil. He bought a quart of whatever oil they had and added it and drove back. The oil light went out as he drove. I checked it myself the next day and the oil just touched the dip stick. I bought and added another quart of Havoline 5w-20 semi synthetic and it was okay for the rest of the rental.

How the car left the airport 2 quarts low on oil was simple negligence on them. Unfortunately I had to let my son do the return and he wasn’t up to haggling with them at the return site for the cost of the two quarts of oil. Like always he was late and in a rush.

As a matter of fact, both cars in my signature are ex. Hertz rentals. I got Sienna in early December 2023 and Bolt EUV 1.5 months ago from Hertz via Carvana.

There were a few in the mid teens back when this first started, because of timing hertz started selling at what was apparently a bottomed out model 3 market which then rapidly went back up in price.

That dip maybe lasted a few weeks.

Gotta wonder who would buy this?
If it was $3500 maybe but you still get destroyed by insurance. It’s sad we live in a world where insurance + registration is the single largest cost of vehicle ownership.
View attachment 216047
Wow, that is a lot of miles. I specifically looked for 2021+ base Model 3, not long-range. Those with LFP batteries can take a lot of beating in terms of charge cycles and don't mind being charged 100%. (I think it is actually recommended to change those to 100% once a week). I have set my EUV to 80% limit at home, and even with that, It shows a 200-mile range for me, which is way more than I need daily.

Hertz, once among the best, is now a low-tier rental car company, with very poor car availability, terrible customer service and policies designed to screw over the renter. Any decision they make should be subject to extreme scrutiny and probably overruled by their shareholders. They are truly that bad.

Think about it, Hertz falsely accused hundreds of innocent customers of stealing its vehicles, had them arrested, and did not care one bit. The judgement against them is nearly 170 million.

Hertz deserves to be in the dustbin of history
It's been a poorly managed low tier company for 20+ years. The public is finally in on it now. The worst company I have ever worked for. I wouldn't have intentionally worked for them. I saw the disaster from the inside while being a contracted company servicing their cars and then got bought out by them. I'd be happy to relieve myself on the CEOs desk and show all the boardroom shareholders my batwing.

I can't imagaine having to charge, or gas up, my car daily. I fill up and it lasts me 1-2 weeks.
It's a two second process in the garage. It's like charging your cell phone. So you really aren't charging or "gassing up" your car daily. It's a matter of perspective. Fueling a standard car can't be done without stopping somewhere. To some including myself it's a huge sales point. I stopped last night on my way home from work to put gas in my other car. Sure it only took 5 minutes, but it cost me $36. I could have skipped the stop and only paid $8 at home overnight if the Tesla was my daily.

I can't imagaine having to charge, or gas up, my car daily. I fill up and it lasts me 1-2 weeks.
Do you put your phone on charger daily? The same concept: put it on the charger while you are sleeping, even if you have not drained the whole battery. With PHEVs and EVs, there is the unofficial rule called "ABC" (Always Be Charging), as "shore" power allows the battery management system to condition the battery either by cooling or heating it without using battery charge, but power from the outlet. Not to mention cabin temp pre-conditioning function, which is very nice on very hot days (in my case) to come to the car that's not a scorching hot oven(especially if you are connected to some free public charger).

Do you put your phone on charger daily? The same concept: put it on the charger while you are sleeping, even if you have not drained the whole battery. With PHEVs and EVs, there is the unofficial rule called "ABC" (Always Be Charging), as "shore" power allows the battery management system to condition the battery either by cooling or heating it without using battery charge, but power from the outlet. Not to mention cabin temp pre-conditioning function, which is very nice on very hot days (in my case) to come to the car that's not a scorching hot oven(especially if you are connected to some free public charger).
No. I charge my phone every 2-3 days. Sometimes 4. And charging it is as easy as dropping it in the holder in my truck. Thats apples & oranges though. I don't want to gas or charge my vehicle everyday. Again my fillups last 1-2 weeks. And then they take about 3.5 minutes to do. I am fine with 3-4 minutes once every other week or so.

How much do you drive per day? If you drive 40 miles per day, and you had a Model Y or 3 Long Range, which are the biggest Tesla sellers, you could charge once a week or longer. Just get home, plug in and forget about it until the next morning.

The amount of time and fuel savings would be huge, depending on what you drive and gas prices in your area.

Back