Here's a YouTube video on tires that may surprise some of us

The only reason I am posting this is because this YouTuber shows the General Altimax RT43 but doesn't mention it by name. As a typical tire that performs well when new but not as it ages. Mainly due to the siping that doesn't go deep enough into the tread blocks to give us as owners of the RT43 and many tires on the market, reasonable longevity and real world usefulness much past...Oh IDK, 7/32nds???

Give the video a look and skip through as needed for your personal likes and interests. The YouTuber also shows some new(er) advancements in tire removal/mounting equipment(tire changers) that is available in better shops.

The RT43, Pirelli P7 A/S PLUS and many other all season tires are some of my favorite but, I have noticed this lack of siping depth once I've purchased/installed the tires. And this is something that I will pay more attention to in the future when buying tires. Something that we can't see online when buying tires but, I will visit my local tire dealer to have a look at the tires I am in the market for. And maybe buy tires locally more often than I have been.

Interesting. I thought the descriptors about how cars got more unsafe as testing ratcheted up as being a bit over the top, but otherwise ok.

I thought RT43 had deeper sipes that halfway. Will have to look when I get home. But I have definitely noticed the traction fall off when significantly worn. Had a set of Primacy that seemed ok down to the bars. (but the price difference at the promoted rt43, even on cost per mile, at least back then)

Good video... Maybe a reason to replace tires a little early for those who live in less thab ideal weather conditiotions.

Right! As I stated, I am going to look more carefully at tires from my local stores before buying. I want to see these differences between brands/models and weigh the cost difference as compared to buying tires twice plus the cost of another installation x4.

I’m looking at my daughter’s 8 yr old AltiMAX Arctic from her previous 2015 Civic, which still have 6 & 7/32nds remaining. And the sipes on winter tires goes down to the 2/32nds allowing for a longer, more usable life.

Just a couple observations on the tire comparison section of the vid. At 7:37 of the video it shows an example of sipes that only go part way through. As far as I can tell though, that example is not from an RT43, either tire pictured later. 'Imo', a bit deceptive. Also be nice to know the tread depth of used tire he's using as an example for the partial sips.

After watching, thought I'd look at the RT43's I've had for a number of years, measure tread depth and look at the sipes. I'm at ~5/32" and I have more sipe left on the outside edge then shown in the video. And at that depth, I know I need to be looking for new tires before long. So I'm sure it's true what is being said about some tire siping, not sure his example makes the point. At least ime with the specific tire.

Last edited:
Right! As I stated, I am going to look more carefully at tires from my local stores before buying. I want to see these differences between brands/models and weigh the cost difference as compared to buying tires twice plus the cost of another installation x4.

I’m looking at my daughter’s 8 yr old AltiMAX Arctic from her previous 2015 Civic, which still have 6 & 7/32nds remaining. And the sipes on winter tires goes down to the 2/32nds allowing for a longer, more usable life.
8 yr old snows should be replaced. Sipes might go all the way but the rubber still ages and not as flexible. I had some Altimax Artic on the Sequoia. They were great snows and got me through everything. after about 5-6 years they still had plenty of tread but definitely didn't perform like they used to. I was going to replace them but ended up trading the truck in as everything else was rusting underneath.

They are being replaced. They're for sale as the 2015 Civic that they belonged to has been totaled(in another thread). Now there is the 2022 Civic in my signature which require a different size and these 15" wheels won't fit over the calipers of the 2022 Civic. Not that I'd use them but, they were still good tires and I wouldn't get rid of them otherwise. Still soft compound and holding air just fine. 8 years may sound like a lot but still far from dangerous IMO! I don't play by that 6 years and done rule.

The sipes of the RT43 are close to the base of tire . Have more pics somewhere .

IMG_7551.JPG
IMG_7552.JPG
IMG_7554.JPG
IMG_7555.JPG

Last edited:
Not just sipes, but locked sipes that help reduce squirming. Some of the sipe locking in some Michelin all-seasons are odd looking but apparently very effective.

Back