Here it is. 48 V Ryobi Riding Mower

Here it is at my Home Depot. A battery electric riding mower. :p

E1CABE2D-62BF-4648-942D-62815586C7A1.jpeg

Early adopters always pay more. I wonder what the price will drop to in a few years?

I have to wonder. Is this application where lead-acid would work ok? I mean, nobody goes around picking up their tractors... often times it seems these tractors actually need more weight not less to do some of the chores asked of them.

When does it get a snowblower attachment?

Edit: Doah! it's an SLA. Leoch model LPC12-75.

Last edited:
Someone should hack a Prius battery pack into it, instead of those heavy lead-acid batteries. 201V of NiMH goodness. Another thing that could have been done was to take the new Milwaukee Fuel high-voltage battery platform but keyed the batteries not to fit the “pro” gear. Stanley Black&Decker does that with the 20V MAX battery platform - DeWalt branded batteries will not physically mate into B&D or Porter-Cable tools.

Ryobi has been hitting it out of the park lately as a competitor to EGo, TTI could have made them into a cheaper Milwaukee or Ridgid/AEG and cannibalized those sales - nope. My dad is quite happy with his $100 cordless trimmer on their One+ battery system.

The battery pack is a 3600 watt hour battery. A very good rule of thumb is 1000 WH battery can produce 1HP for 1 hour. Sooooo, this one can make 3.6HP for an hour. Or 1.8HP for 2 hours.

Surprisingly, that may be enough to do many jobs. Unless you are trying to mow hay.

Weirdly, the batteries are not lithium, but 4ea, 12V lead-acid 75AH wheelchair batteries. They sell for $130 each (remember you need 4 of them) at discount resellers. And don't expect lead acid batteries to have good output longer than 3 years.

As these become capable, I think they are taking off. Most of the newer mowers I’ve seen in my area are electric. I’m mowing one lady’s yard right now - she just bought the place and it’s got a huge yard. Her dad was a mechanic, and she told me she’s sick of dealing with ope carbs and is glad to have the electric. But, until she gets a couple extra batteries, it takes her 4 sessions to finish her yard. She’s single with kids during Covid, so me and a buddy just do it for her. She still has no regrets for the electric. My neighbors have the same little push ryobi, and greatly prefer it.

if the mower can handle the yard in one session, I think it works And like the idea. Just my opinion.

Back