Here are some recent NOAC numbers of some Red-Line oils.

Ed your fist sentence is a non sequitur. I agree there is heating through mechanical shear, but its not excessive.
250 is not 500. It is too severe and absolutely not representative of in situ conditions. IMHO.
Again much of the % off likely represents the NEEDED solvent carrier for the DP
But I am not on committee for SAE, ILSAC or API, Its just an engineering observation.

This sounds like a Concern looking hard for and actual Problem that doesn't exist.
I'll call it BITOG "nervousness"
This is intervention therapy - not a call out :)
So, you also think that Mercedes is too nervous when they limited Noack up to 10%?

So, you also think that Mercedes is too nervous when they limited Noack up to 10%?
I think the subcommittee needs to rethink the ASTM standard as applied to full formulated motor oils.
But given the severity of the existing standard, 10% is reasonable.
But many here talk of FFMO with NOACK in the 6-7% off range as it some magic elixir.
I'm anticipating that, in itself, is not likely to produce the desired effect.

I think the subcommittee needs to rethink the ASTM standard as applied to full formulated motor oils.
But given the severity of the existing standard, 10% is reasonable.
But many here talk of FFMO with NOACK in the 6-7% off range as it some magic elixir.
I'm anticipating that, in itself, is not likely to produce the desired effect.
No they do not. 6-7% or 8%, or 10%, is irrelevant without putting it in perspective. If oil has Naock 10% and grade 5W40, while you have 0W40 with Noack of 8.7%, that tells a lot about 0W40 oil and quality of product.
Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had Noack 5.6%, while most Euro 5W30's were in range of 9-10%. That told us a lot about that Mobil1.

No they do not. 6-7% or 8%, or 10%, is irrelevant without putting it in perspective. If oil has Naock 10% and grade 5W40, while you have 0W40 with Noack of 8.7%, that tells a lot about 0W40 oil and quality of product.
Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had Noack 5.6%, while most Euro 5W30's were in range of 9-10%. That told us a lot about that Mobil1.
Yes That tells you some sample of one of many possible formulations (accounting for ongoing base interchange)
that EXxon lab tested and reported in their application had a Lower NOACK.

But, regardless of reported NOACK, they all have the required approvals. NOACK won't tell you how the oil will perform.

Recall what I said about solvent AP carriers? And that it is likely a majority of the "percent off" is from these n not the base(s)?

And the fact that 500F is not representative of in situ exposure on WC engines?

Hey if it makes you feel better about your oil choice - go for it.

I just bring up these points for proper argument sake, especially seeing the latest and ongoing "Low Noack" BITOG fad.

Pretty much aligned.

I'm much more concerned about it in my air cooled 20KW genset running a 5ton AC unit on a 100+ degree day.
Interesting … I “feed” lots of motors … only my newest generator gets Redline white bottle … 😷

Interesting … I “feed” lots of motors … only my newest generator gets Redline white bottle … 😷

Same on engines to feed and my new Genny.

0w-40 is the closest Is get to a universal constant.

We just had another 2 hour shut off
Somebodies truck hit a pole this time and I was running a 5 ton AC along with the whole house in high 90 temps.

Reactions: 4WD
Back